Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Very Bad Monday Morning!

Hi all,

I have a much loved Audi A4 2.0 tdi sline 140bhp 2007 (BRE engine code)

On my daily commute to work early morning my brake pedal went stiff and no brake force at
    all so had to get my hands on the handbrake to bring it to a complete stop, fortunately i was
    strolling along in traffic so it wasnt too bad, could not imagine if i was driving at normal speeds.
    Pads where changed a week ago believe it or not but im assuming its the vacuum pump, so i will
    get this sorted...

But the story doesnt finish there....

I then tried to limp at the bottom of the road as my work car park was 30sec away and then
    The Engine oil pressure light popped up yes the big dreaded red one!
    immediately the car was pulled over, switched off and AA was on route. He started the car up even
    though he was advised of the situation and the engine ran rough and sound quite tinny.
    So the car is sitting at the garage now, rocker cover has been taken off no oil wants to travel up
    so the sump has been taken off. The oil pump is gear driven and has a hex balance shaft...
    need any information and feedback in regards to what do i change, ideally the cost effective method
    for me is just to change the oil pump..? But will that cure it..?The whole unit including the balance shaft
    is very pricey but vag com diagnostic is not showing any further information apart from low oil pressure.

looking into this problem on this forum and others it is a common problem, but on the blb engine code which
    is chain driven and has tensioners, so then from my information Audi upgraded these to the gear driven oil pumps
    which is in mine, so what the hell has happened to mine? :-0
    The car is always ran on the correct oil grade and it has never fell low, the car has always been warmed up
    to the normal operating temp before driving over 2k and the millage in question is 112k

really frustrating as a major service was carried out including pads, water pump, timing belt and thermostat!
    Now this, please comment any thoughts and advice will all be much appreciated

many thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Yes, the BLB suffered the chain drive problem, but all 2.0TDi suffer the hex drive fault where is rounds off. Start reading toward the end of this thread and you will get an idea of the fault. 2.0 TDI oil pump / balance shaft failure?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Yes, the BLB suffered the chain drive problem, but all 2.0TDi suffer the hex drive fault where is rounds off. Start reading toward the end of this thread and you will get an idea of the fault. 2.0 TDI oil pump / balance shaft failure?

Cheers will look into this

Reverse Gear

Status
    Got this sorted :-)
    The hex drive was rounded off so replaced this and this only, as after a close inspection the balance shaft was not worn and with the new hex drive in place there is no play at all so it will not slip....

Brakes are working again, but still looking into this as the vacuum pressure is not so great, after reapplying the pedal is getting very stiff.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sline View Post
    Got this sorted :-)
    The hex drive was rounded off so replaced this and this only, as after a close inspection the balance shaft was not worn and with the new hex drive in place there is no play at all so it will not slip....

Brakes are working again, but still looking into this as the vacuum pressure is not so great, after reapplying the pedal is getting very stiff.
    I am pleased you haven't killed the engine.
    Points to note are:
    1) the balance shafts don't give a problem its only the hex drive that's the achilles heal.
    2) big end bearings may have suffered and I had to have mine reshelled.
    3) Its reasonable to expect the turbo life will have been shortened, I know it did mine !

Paul B7

1st Gear

Status
    Very bad morning but very lucky to be honest. Glad you got it sorted