Looking at buying

eddie_a3

Reaction score
Hi All
Ive seen for sale a really nice condition A4 AVANT S-Line, it has all the toys on it, 2005 MODEL, 2.0 Petrol, with 166k miles on the clock.

"Cam belt changed last year, new battery, coils and new alternator."

Anything that i should look out for on these cars?
Is that too high mileage for a car of its age? Is it too high for that type of engine?

Thanks!

Thanks, The listing says part service history, but it does look well looked after, and as said has every toy on there! :)

How high will these engines go?

Thanks, The listing says part service history, but it does look well looked after, and as said has every toy on there! :)

How high will these engines go?

High, very high if well maintained 250k -300k miles and above is doable without too much major work provided regular maintenance is done.. Part service history would be a cause for concern in my book. Please don't rush into it....there are loads out there.....just don't go for the first one you see.

Thanks for that, the seller says that
"It missed one or two services from a while back"

And 250k for a petrol? Surprised at that!!

And appreciate there are a few about, and yes this is one of the first ive seen, but it has everything!!

Bose, sat nav, xenons, etc etc :D

(ive just sold a mondeo st220, so looking for something a little more economical!)

Thanks for that, the seller says that
"It missed one or two services from a while back"

And 250k for a petrol? Surprised at that!!

And appreciate there are a few about, and yes this is one of the first ive seen, but it has everything!!

Bose, sat nav, xenons, etc etc :D

(ive just sold a mondeo st220, so looking for something a little more economical!)

Is that the V6 Mondeo?....Well, your wallet would thank you for changing to a 2.0t, you'll get 30mpg + per gallon with a FWD 2.0t.
You can achieve some pretty serious mileages on the petrol engines. I have seen B7's with 250k miles for sale up here. Byt Bil - Sökresultat have 230,000 km's on mine and it's a 2005 and it stlll feels great to drive for nearly 9 years old.

Think you should check it out.....services missing? what does that mean... Oil and Filters? Big one is belts and water pump....but if that's been done last year you have 4 years before that needs doing again. The VAG Longlife oil and filter malarky would make me a bit suspicious if the owner has left those out....Imho I wouldn't want a turbo petrol with big intervals between oil changes. How long has he owned it ie: How many owners?

Last edited:
Yeah its the V6! Was averaging between 20 and 22 MPG! So looking forward to the higher figures!

Will i be looking at 40 on motorway runs in the 2l audi??

Ive just asked about previous owners etc!!
Thanks

40 is a bit optimistic Eddie.....tip top nick, 35+ at best.

A

Yeah its the V6! Was averaging between 20 and 22 MPG! So looking forward to the higher figures!

Will i be looking at 40 on motorway runs in the 2l audi??

Ive just asked about previous owners etc!!
Thanks

Only problem with buying a high miler, is when you add your 50 odd K to the clock whos going to want to buy it off you?
But have to say in general second cars do seem to have high miles as the norm these days, so obviously it doesnt frighten people off any more.
I have had some high milers in the past and the biggest problem is when some of the things go wrong they can be expensive as they are well past their sell by date, so what you save on the purchase price you spend on spares/repairs, not a problem if like me you do you own work, but if paying a mech can get very dear.
Quick example my 93 land rover, front pad change went from just pads, to flex hoses, two new pipes to make up and fit, just managed to save the third and replace the partially seized offside caliper, so a 15 quid pad change turned into a 150 quid job and new landy bits are very very cheap compared to audi parts!

Last edited:
Im sure theres a few recent posts on here ref 2.0t doing sub 20mpg around town

Im sure theres a few recent posts on here ref 2.0t doing sub 20mpg around town

I can vouch for that!....The 2.0t's don't like city driving....probably the worst car I have owned for drinking the stuff at standstill or trickling around at 20mph....but once on the go it's reasonable and very reasonable at constant motorway speeds.

BR
A

:-( your putting me off guys! My st220 did 22 around town... 25 on the motorway... Tell me it's better than that and I'll be happy?

:-( your putting me off guys! My st220 did 22 around town... 25 on the motorway... Tell me it's better than that and I'll be happy?

I woudlnt hold your breathe too much. I would say based on I get around 22 around town with a quattro you should see about 25.

Motorway I see about 38. So you should see about 40. So what you lack in town will definitely make up on the motorway. Especially if you use 6th gear and cruise control. Which I have the 6th gear but no cruise control :( Thou I am pretty sure i can get 40 with a cruise control. Just very hard to keep your foot steady on motorway she just wants to go. Besides who wants to sit at 70 all there life.

Aren't most cars MPG crap around town?

My brother has a diesel Saab estate, Auto, and around town he only gets 28/29mpg, yet on a motorway run it is mid to late 40's, sometimes 50's.
I average 25mpg around town in my 2.0t petrol but 35mpg on a motorway run. I have achieved 500 miles (mainly Motorway) on a full tank of 61 litres before if I keep it steady.
If doing lots of town driving then I usually get 350 to a full tank of 61 litres.
By the way, these figures are calculated using Fuelly App online, not using the DIS figures. See my signature below.

Thanks guys. I've also come across a better spec lower mileage 1.8t (120k), is that a better engine? And a better mileage for that engine? Fsh on this one... Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

Need to watch out for possible oil sludge issue on the 1.8t If I remember, due to blocked sump pickups. I would have liked to have seen regular oil changes on this model for peace of mind. If you get the sump cover off it's a 20 quid part. I couldn't on my BGB engine....and God, I tried like f#ck to split and gave up....think the 1.8t is a lot easier.

BR
A