Headlights

jhogan

Reaction score
Hi, i have a problem with my maim beam when the lights are switched on it will come on after a delay and stay on for 2 seconds then switch off, if my lights are switched off i can use the flash and the main beam stays on.( can ony use main beam for flashing in daylight)
i have had someone plug in a machine and it comes up with fault code 2450 "solenoid switch for bi xenon shutter short circuit to earth", there lies another problem my car has halogen lights... they tried re coding to halogen and main beam does not work at all. I have phoned up Audi gave them my chassis number and they said it left the factory with bi xenon lights.(someone must have swapped them....don't know why)
Are the connections the same for both halogen an bi xenon? if i was to get bi xenon lights would they just fit straight in or is there a way off working round the problem and leaving the halogen lights in.

Car i have is a 2005 A4 2.0 SE TFSI quattro. any help much appreciate

im no mechanic.. but im sure to retro fit xenons you need to use a wiring harness from kufatec..

so therefore the wiring cant be the same?

sure some1 will be along shortly to shed some light for you as to what the situation is bud..

the car was shipped from the factory with bi xenons, someone has put in halogen

Someone will have removed them and sold them before selling the car on as they are worth £400+

You have two options:

1) Purchase a set of xenons headlights and ballasts

2) Obtain a copy of Elsawin and re-wire the current setup. Sadly Kufatec do not make an adapter for Xenon to Halogen (only the other way around) so you will have to do this yourself.

You could also try removing the two pins which control high beam function on the CEM. Google "how to retrofit xenon for Audi b7".

thanks for the above. but surely if the car was originally fitted with bi xenon the cabling should be allready there

OK so i have now purchased 2 new complete headlights and come to fit them and the plug is different. after further investigation someone had cut of the original wiring plug and replaced it with a standard halogen one and left half the wires not connected to anything.

so now i am looking for the original plugs so i can get this rewired, can anyone recommend somewhere near b70 where i could get some from

What you will have to do is get a pair of plugs from audi to fit into the rear of the xenon headlamp. Then get a electrician to wire it up. Its similar to what edd china did on wheeler dealers the episode were he had to change the plug from a older headlamp to a newer one.
Weird how someone would do that.
I'm in B71 btw :D lol

OK so i have now purchased 2 new complete headlights and come to fit them and the plug is different. after further investigation someone had cut of the original wiring plug and replaced it with a standard halogen one and left half the wires not connected to anything.

so now i am looking for the original plugs so i can get this rewired, can anyone recommend somewhere near b70 where i could get some from

Where did you get your lights from? I have some for sale and could have helped with the wiring.

Reactions: jhogan
Dpaz i got them from euro parts £700 for the pair, wish i had known earlier. When looking on ebay they were near enough the same price for second hand ones.
Could do with some help with the wiring, looks like getting the plugs from audi but no idea what wire goes where so help with this would be much appreciated

I think its terrible how these wise boys are taking expensive fitted equipment out and leaving none working none standard stuff in,and creaming £700 worth of stuff without disclosing it to the new owner.
Maybe you could have a case for him selling something not fit for use,or if the advert said sline model,that this was misleading as the sline comes with xenon and yours clearly doesn't so is not quite an sline with the equipment it should have in.

yeah i know what you mean, i just want to get it working as it should be now, error messages every time i put my key in the ignition just ****** me off now and makes me loose interest in the car.
just need some clear pics of what wire goes in what slot now or if someone has a diagram with wire colours

I think its terrible how these wise boys are taking expensive fitted equipment out and leaving none working none standard stuff in,and creaming £700 worth of stuff without disclosing it to the new owner.
Maybe you could have a case for him selling something not fit for use,or if the advert said sline model,that this was misleading as the sline comes with xenon and yours clearly doesn't so is not quite an sline with the equipment it should have in.

Xenons were not S-Line equipment. They were extra cost equipment on all models, whether SE or S-Line. But your general point about the car being not fit for purpose is a good one. If it was bought from a trader, you could use current sale of goods legislation to argue a claim that the car was not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose. Also, for the first six months following the transaction, the burden of proof is reversed; i.e. the claimant (the buyer) does not have to prove the goods were not of satisfactory quality or fit for pupose. The seller has to prove they were.

If it was a private sale, it's a bit trickier, as the car simply has to be "as described". If the description included no mention of the headlights, difficult to argue a case.

stolen recoverd ?

all checks proved car was straight, car was brought from a dealer back in December but there was no mention of xenon lights. there was a an error on the dash saying bulb was missing but me being trusting when he told me it was that someone had put the wrong bulbs in was causing the error, lights worked and i was happy at the time

all checks proved car was straight, car was brought from a dealer back in December but there was no mention of xenon lights. there was a an error on the dash saying bulb was missing but me being trusting when he told me it was that someone had put the wrong bulbs in was causing the error, lights worked and i was happy at the time
Have a word with your local Citizens Advice. I'd say you have grounds for a claim against the dealer.

can still be hpi clear
i cant see any owner going to the point of cuting the plugs off etc

best thing to do well what i would do anyway
is take pictures get a garage to do a report keep recipte for lights
get audi to confirm the car came with xeons
scrap yard to get the plugs and cut with plenty of wire on them and rewire.
then get a claim stuck in.

i know what you mean, un recorded, how do we stand a chance

Well you have the evidence from Audi that the car left the factory with OEM Xenons. Those Xenons, and the connections for them, are no longer there. Even if the dealer wasn't aware of that specifically, it knew there was a fault with the headlights and didn't investigate it properly. But what you really need if you are going to attempt a claim is some proper advice, hence why I mentioned Citizens Advice. Alternatively, are there any firms of solicitors near you that offer a free initial consultation?

best thing to do well what i would do anyway
is take pictures get a garage to do a report keep recipte for lights
get audi to confirm the car came with xeons
scrap yard to get the plugs and cut with plenty of wire on them and rewire.
then get a claim stuck in.
already tried the yards but no one seems to have any or if they do they want money for the whole lume. looks like going to the dealerships and getting the plugs of them for £6 each, only thing is what holes do the the different colour wires go in ...

thats why i would get scrap with same colour wires
you will need repair wires also from audi or use the wires and pins you have
be good if you could find a member near to you with xeons to copy the wires.

IMG 2538
thats the mess i found when undoing the tape..

that looks ****

Just seen your picture jhogan on here.

I will post a picture of the wiring diagram from ELSAWIN but I would take up jdp1962's advice and complain to the dealer you purchase the car from.

If your not confident with automotive wiring then it's a job for a Auto-Electrician (one better than the one your tried before).

I hope £700 included ballasts and bulbs. Mine were practically brand new anyways and came with ballasts and bulbs for a lot less than £700!

Just seen your picture jhogan on here.

I will post a picture of the wiring diagram from ELSAWIN but I would take up jdp1962's advice and complain to the dealer you purchase the car from.

If your not confident with automotive wiring then it's a job for a Auto-Electrician (one better than the one your tried before).

I hope £700 included ballasts and bulbs. Mine were practically brand new anyways and came with ballasts and bulbs for a lot less than £700!
Thanks Dpaz, will look into it and will probably get someone else to do it for me. the lights came complete with everything... just a bit curious how much would you have sold yours for?

For anyone who's interested, this is for non-AFS (cornering).

found the following diagram that was very helpful but 3 wires on my original loom are different colours for pins 2, 4 and 14. these are for the CORNERING LIGHT MOTOR.
the colours on my lume are green black, green brown and green yellow.
does anyone have a digram with the correct colours

Wiring diagram