Audi Avant Rear Wiper Delete - Query!

DuncVolvoTurbo

Reaction score
After finding I have an issue with my rear wiper washer (water flowing into boot trim, and not out the wiper), and doing a bit of googling, I am kind of in favour of getting rid of the wiper completely. Yes I know it's probably just a bunged up jet (I've taken it off to clean in the mean time), or it could be the hose in the wiper motor itself.

So, I've got a few questions relating to this for anyone that's done it before:

1) What's the best bung/replacement glass piece to buy?
2) What are the chances of this leaking?
3) Once you've removed the motor, do you just leave the water pipe and wire connector "hanging" there?
4) Is it possible to swap the washer stalk to one from a saloon so that there is no sign of a rear washer ever being there?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Broken pipe in motor is very common. New Bosch rear wiper motors around £53.

Please don't delete wiper, it's there for a reason.

Reactions: r15wne
id fix the problem rather than try to get rid...
think of a dark rainy day trying to reverse...

Even with the brightest 12 led Cree reversing bulbs and a future reversing camera displayed on a 7" AV , I'd still want a working bidet.

id fix the problem rather than try to get rid...
think of a dark rainy day trying to reverse...

Even with the brightest 12 led Cree reversing bulbs and a future reversing camera displayed on a 7" AV , I'd still want a working bidet.

Are you guys trying to say I can't reverse? Lol! I've driven enough Transits with no back windows to be able to put my Audi where ever I want it to go :D

However, I have managed to fix the jet coming out of the wiper (a good amount of water is coming out now), but I still have the water gushing out the motor/pump/connecting pipe. Is this down to a dodgy motor? Some sort of seal that has "gone" in it? I don't really want to be splashing out money on something that doesn't need replacing.

And dewipering looks so good! :D

Dsc7252e

Reactions: ScottD3
I'm not an Avant owner, so I've no direct experience on how essential the rear wiper is to visibility, but I'm with the other in recommending keeping it. Obviously appearances are subjective, so I appreciate you prefer the look without it, but personally I'd never make a cosmetic change that actually took away functionality. Also, what about when you come to sell it? I imagine most potential buyers aregoing to wonder why the car has no rear wiper, and some would actually be put off buying it.

Just a thought to keep in mind.

The Avants above would still look awesome with rear wipers, however the wipers are quite pronounced and clumpy looking.

I'm sure there would be a better looking alternative from the VAG stable , I've a mk5 Golf/Touran type on a Passat B5.5 .

To fully fix leak it's a new motor as the pipe is broken inside it.

Oooh I love a working rear wiper...isnt it funny how people see things totally differently

beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that

So what you gonna do, delete or fix ?

I got my Bosch rear wiper motor for my Passat off eBay.

It's a right park like B7 so think it could be the same or similar.

Oooh I love a working rear wiper...isnt it funny how people see things totally differently

beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that

So what you gonna do, delete or fix ?

Well I wasnt expecting so much negativity towards this. Looks like I might be fixing, wasn't 100% sure on the water-tightness of a bung. I do like the look, and thought it would be an easier, cheaper fix.

Well I wasnt expecting so much negativity towards this. Looks like I might be fixing, wasn't 100% sure on the water-tightness of a bung. I do like the look, and thought it would be an easier, cheaper fix.

Hey Dunc you do what you want to do...dont listen to us :nyah:

Reactions: DuncVolvoTurbo

This. If you ask our opinions, we'll always give them, but it's your car, so yours is the only opinion that matters.

Reactions: DuncVolvoTurbo and ACWKGYTO

I'm not adverse to listening to sensible advice.......and so far, thats what I've recieved. :icon_thumright:

Reactions: ACWKGYTO and jdp1962
same happened to mine, had it all stripped down found the gasket was gubbed and the nozzle had seen better days bit the bullet and bought a new unit, so simple to fit here's a guide from vwaf forum
how to - replace a Avant rear wiper motor

(mods not sure if allowed to link to another forum please correct me if i've committed a sin)

got my new motor from Ebay
AUDI A3 A4 A6 Q5 Q7 TFSi SLINE QUATTRO REAR WINDOW WIPER MOTOR ORIGINAL AUDI | eBay

A fellow Dundonian! :D

Funny you should mention, that is the exact motor I've just bought myself. Also looking into getting the Q5 rear wiper arm upgrade too. Oh well, no de-wipering for me......this time.

De-wipering is fine, IMHO.

Its all down to the person.
Like you, I've driven enough vans with no rear windows.

Now I got a dirty rear window and rear blinds and I'm still able to reverse it in to my drive or the works drive way with out any issues.

As for your questions:

1) What's the best bung/replacement glass piece to buy?
I bought a glass one off a German site that came with cleaning solution and glue.

2) What are the chances of this leaking?
If done right I can't see if being any issue.
Been on the car for the last 2-3 years with no leaking or issue. People have tried to poke it through but its still there.

3) Once you've removed the motor, do you just leave the water pipe and wire connector "hanging" there?
I bunged the pipe up and tucked the cable up but left it there if I ever went back to standard. Its reversible.
I also try not to flick the stalk forward.

4) Is it possible to swap the washer stalk to one from a saloon so that there is no sign of a rear washer ever being there?
I thought about this for mine but for the effort and expense, I just left it and don't flick it forward.

Last edited:
check euro car parts as i brought a genuine one from them in december.

Im aware that a small corsa isn't the same as an A4 but i removed the wiper on mine a couple years ago and bunged it with a rubber grommet, the jet being at the top of the boot lid so wasnt a problem.

I also treated the rear window,well all the glass on the car, with a long lasting rain repellant (Gtechniq G1) which beads rainwater and rolls right off, and dirt wasn't an issue as i washed the car weekly. Saying that i drive lorries anyway so using wing mirrors more than rear view is second nature.

Personally i think its a simple mod that makes a huge difference to the look of the rear of the car, and if youre still confident to drive without the need for it (which i didnt) then go for it.
Initially after doing it there would be a couple times i would go to swipe the back window forgetting the wiper wasnt there but in all honesty i never really needed it.