EM TuningVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Giosabcsl

Thread: Noise on startup..is this the chain rattle noise?

5th Gear

Status

Noise on startup..is this the chain rattle noise?

Sometimes when I startup there is a split second scraping type noise.. is this the chain rattle where it brushes against the plastic guide that people speak of? and if so is it quite normal. its not excessive by any means however
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, S Badge, LED np lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s. Next Oval tailpipes/alloy Respray/discs/pads

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Craig Cull's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    Sometimes when I startup there is a split second scraping type noise.. is this the chain rattle where it brushes against the plastic guide that people speak of? and if so is it quite normal. its not excessive by any means however
    Even after the chain replacement, I still get the same noise, almost like oil getting to where it needs to, then it's gone as quickly as you hear it. It's so fast sometimes you couldn't even point it out to someone.I don't think it's anything to worry about. The excessive chain sound occurs mainly when it's warm and almost sounds like a clicking knock. From cold it's at it's quietest from experience due to the oil being thicker. Others may say otherwise.
    K04 hybrid turbo. S3 injectors, Autotech hpfp internals, RS4 fuel pressure regulator, custom FMIC, APR carbonio intake, decat pipe, milltek cat back non resonated 100mm tips, unicorn developments custom remap, launch control and flat shift. Valet mode, economy map and full power map options. Stage 3 southbend clutch with single mass flywheel, Eibach pro street coilovers, eibach front and rear anti roll bars, porsche cayenne 6 pot calipers front, S4 rear brake conversion.

5th Gear

Status
    yeah its not there for long at all. On idle there is a feint knocking but doesnt sound like a chain just sound like normal tickover. Out of interest do you mind me asking how much you had the chain replaced for and why? and did that include the guide also?
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, S Badge, LED np lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s. Next Oval tailpipes/alloy Respray/discs/pads

2nd Gear

Status
    If it is there for a second on start up then disappears that is normal as the oil pressure needs to build up. But if it continues and gets excessive when the oil is thin and the engine is warm then you know it needs replacing.

The reason people change them is because if they skip a tooth then you can say good bye to your head, valves etc.

This is what craigs sounded like when his needed changing Audi A4 2.0t fsi Quattro BUL - YouTube

and here is the thread and all the prices you are after "Time to change the chain and tensioner and cam follower.... Camshaft???"

All you questions will be answered..

To give you a idea if you are planning on replacing yours its will cost about £160 for the kit from Audi at trade price. But the labour is were it bites you back as its considered a 6-7 hour job unless you know people to do it for you like craig got someone to do it for him on the cheap. Its not a pleasant job either as its all at the back of the motor.

And just to comment i noticed you are after a scuttle tray as well as a battery tray cover. You wont really find anyone selling these as they are so cheap already.

You can buy them from Audi direct. Retail prices below

Shuttle cover 8E281944701C - £16.74
    Battery Cover 8E2819422A01C - £7

Trade prices are
    £14.57
    £6
    Last edited by Giosabcsl; 2nd February 2014 at 02:30.
    Craig Cull likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    out of curiosity has anyone tried a pre oiler to stop this from happening ?
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Giosabcsl View Post
    If it is there for a second on start up then disappears that is normal as the oil pressure needs to build up. But if it continues and gets excessive when the oil is thin and the engine is warm then you know it needs replacing.

The reason people change them is because if they skip a tooth then you can say good bye to your head, valves etc.

This is what craigs sounded like when his needed changing Audi A4 2.0t fsi Quattro BUL - YouTube

and here is the thread and all the prices you are after "Time to change the chain and tensioner and cam follower.... Camshaft???"

All you questions will be answered..

To give you a idea if you are planning on replacing yours its will cost about £160 for the kit from Audi at trade price. But the labour is were it bites you back as its considered a 6-7 hour job unless you know people to do it for you like craig got someone to do it for him on the cheap. Its not a pleasant job either as its all at the back of the motor.

And just to comment i noticed you are after a scuttle tray as well as a battery tray cover. You wont really find anyone selling these as they are so cheap already.

You can buy them from Audi direct. Retail prices below

Shuttle cover 8E281944701C - £16.74
    Battery Cover 8E2819422A01C - £7

Trade prices are
    £14.57
    £6
    Oh right I really thought hey were more expensive as they go for like £50 all in on ebay! ill give it a check from the dealer. Thanks.
    As for the sound it appears to be normal at the moment. I have a garage that is half the dealer price for labour but it doesnt sound fun at all lol. Ill keep tabs on it thanks for the info. someone mentioned pre oiler.... someone on here has a pre oiler fitted to his S4 but I cant remember who it was...with any luck he will chip in if they see this thread and give you the info

5th Gear

Status
    its me who has the pre oiler fitted to my s4
    it tensions the chain before start up , so theres no play or slack when you start the engine
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Craig Cull's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmono21 View Post
    it tensions the chain before start up , so theres no play or slack when you start the engine
    Is this available for the 2.0T FSI?
    K04 hybrid turbo. S3 injectors, Autotech hpfp internals, RS4 fuel pressure regulator, custom FMIC, APR carbonio intake, decat pipe, milltek cat back non resonated 100mm tips, unicorn developments custom remap, launch control and flat shift. Valet mode, economy map and full power map options. Stage 3 southbend clutch with single mass flywheel, Eibach pro street coilovers, eibach front and rear anti roll bars, porsche cayenne 6 pot calipers front, S4 rear brake conversion.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmono21 View Post
    Ahh cheers dual i knew it had a 21 haha! Yeah as below... would this fit our "2.0T FSI's?

5th Gear

Status
    it will fit any car you like provided you have room for the equipment

you have a cylinder which is filled with a bladder , your normal engine oil pressure feeds the bladder until it is full
    then when you switch your engine off this pressure is stored and held
    your engine cools down and the warm oil drains from your tensioners , when you start the engine again the chain slap you hear is
    caused by the tensioners not being pressurised by oil
    with the system fitted , you turn your ignition on, leave it for a few seconds and the pressure that was stored in the cylinder is pumped back into your system to pump back up the tensioners BEFORE you actually start your engine

no chain slap and no wear