BLB Oil Pump Tensioner Failure & Bluetooth Question

JustinF

Reaction score
Just to share my taill of woe and ask for some advice regarding Bluetooth module compatability with Iphone 5..........

A couple of weeks before Christmas I stopped using my A4 2.0TDI (BLB) as the clutch had started to slip (107,000 miles). Went to move it one morning and had the window down and heard a clatter from the engine, opened the bonnet and when I crouched down the noise was louder from the front of the engine and was loudest at the front of the grill.
Car went to Audi dealership and asked them to investigate when doing the clutch job. Had a call to say they suspected it was the oild pump chain. The sump was duly removed and the tensioner had snapped and the hex key was worn - £2.2k to fix.
I had 4 months / 9000 miles left on a Warrenty Direct policy so they authorised the work so I should be looking to get back just over £1k.
So if I can pass anything on it IS possible to hear when the chain starts to fail, I have no idea how much longer it would have lasted.

Oh and the flywheel needed replacing (WD covering half of this) and I needed 2 new rear tyres........

Now the car is running like a dream, there is certainly a differance in engine noise between the chain driven unit and the replacement gear driven on, and I will have to keep hold for a significant period I am thinking of adding the OEM Bluetooth module. Do I have to buy a certain module to ensure it will work with my Iphone 5? (ie 8P0862335Q from 2008 rather than 8P0862335C from 2005).

Thanks

Justin

I am thinking of adding the OEM Bluetooth module. Do I have to buy a certain module to ensure it will work with my Iphone 5? (ie 8P0862335Q from 2008 rather than 8P0862335C from 2005).
I'm using an 8P0 862 335 H module with my iPhone 5 and all the features work fine.

The best advice though is to go for an 8P1 862 335 (or later) module - as that is more likely to work with more different phones.

Thanks Dave - makes sense to go for the later unit.