EGR help......

keets

Reaction score
Car is a 2006 tdi 170. Has had dpf removed an stage 2 remap by Statler.

Car is currently showing amber eml light. Father in law has scanned for error codes which shows

P0404 egr - range/performance

After reading on here we removed valve yesterday and cleaned the slight amount of carbon build up, removed black casing and checked mechanism and all seem fine. We deleted the code which has come back on after about 30miles. The car still drives perfect with no Mia fire, hesitation or smoke. I've loathed to put an egr valve on it yet as I'm aware this doesn't always resolve the issue.

Has anyone had anything similar or could suggest things to check I'd appreciate it.

Paul

Mine did this, did you check the valve flap thoroughly as mine had snapped off and ended up nearly going into the engine
0_o was sticking open/closed but looked fine. metal had sheaared somehow!! had to get a new valve entirely ofc

Yeah it all looked fine, to be honest the egr had minimal build up. What I can't get my head around is why after code is deleted it takes until the day after and 20+ miles of driving before it comes back on. I would have thought if it was faulty it would come back on immediately.

The egr only works under certain conditions, basically iirc only when cruising style driving, motorway work, engine up to temp etc.