[B7] Reg LED lights

ukphillad

Reaction score
Hey everyone, tried looking at the forum for an existing thread, but couldn't find any. If anyone can find it could you post it here.
Anyways, I am interested in fitting OEM led registration lights into the B7 A4 Saloon. Was thinking of going to the Audi dealer and ordering the ones they have made for the A5 (have the part number somewhere) as i have been told they will fit. Would much rather do that then buying them off E-bay.
I have been reading about some of them throwing errors, but not sure about that at all. Just to give you a bitta background, my onboard computer only displays miles left to empty and service message.
Anyways, question is any advice before i wander off and purchase them from the Audi dealership? Will they last for a good while? Will they eat the battery faster or any other side effects i should be aware off? I know NHN is an expert regarding electrics in the car, so any advice?

Thanks in advance

try turps member on here

I know turps is doing the lamps but for 35 euro can get the full housing from audi dealer. So wondering really what are those a5 like

I bought a set of the OEM s5 LED reg plate units, and they only have 2 LEDs in them, and give off a nice glow - but go out by themselves so are just sat about. I dread to think how bright those ebay ones are though, looks like LED overkill to me. They will be stupid bright.

Reactions: s3_trev
I've a used set from and genuine s3 mate. check if they fit will do them posted for £19 posted.

I bought a set of the OEM s5 LED reg plate units, and they only have 2 LEDs in them, and give off a nice glow - but go out by themselves so are just sat about. I dread to think how bright those ebay ones are though, looks like LED overkill to me. They will be stupid bright.

Thanks for your reply mate. So just to make sure I understand correctly, you bought the original Audi S5 leds from Audi dealership yeah? Wanna make sure I know exactly what's going on. Good news is that they give off a nice glow, which is exactly what I'm looking for, definitely don't want to make them stand out too much. Were they a simple plug & play job or was there any re-wiring/ coding/messing around needed with them? Did they throw any errors/ cause any side-effects for you? And lastly, what do you mean by going out by themselves?
Thanks in advance :)

Ebay ones above
Daytime

Night

Mac, these look good as well. How much did they set you back? And as in previous question, any issues with them ? :)

Dpaz thanks for the reply. Yeah I have been looking at kufatec a while back but completely forgot about them. For me it's just easier to go down to the local dealership, which is a few minutes drive and get the original ones, which I have been hearing can be taken from the a5 so looking to see if people can confirm that.

Thanks for your reply mate. So just to make sure I understand correctly, you bought the original Audi S5 leds from Audi dealership yeah? Wanna make sure I know exactly what's going on. Good news is that they give off a nice glow, which is exactly what I'm looking for, definitely don't want to make them stand out too much. Were they a simple plug & play job or was there any re-wiring/ coding/messing around needed with them? Did they throw any errors/ cause any side-effects for you? And lastly, what do you mean by going out by themselves?

Mac, these look good as well. How much did they set you back? And as in previous question, any issues with them ? :)

Mac and I have the same ones. Totally reliable so far.

Reactions: Macdoon
I don't believe the A5 one will fit. AFAIK the one sold by Kufatec is the Q7 facelift version.

You will still need a resistor if you fit the OEM's. I think its 3x 100ohm @ 5W but would need to check.

I don't believe the A5 one will fit. AFAIK the one sold by Kufatec is the Q7 facelift version.

You will still need a resistor if you fit the OEM's. I think its 3x 100ohm @ 5W but would need to check.

Cheers for that, need to look more into this because Kufatec seem to be a good brand, so might be worth investing in the housing as well as the adapter. On the other hand, mac and jdp are saying that the ebay ones are doing the job and can see from the pics they give off a good light, pricewise 22 pounds isn't bad either, even when including postage cost.

Totally confused as to what to go for :think:

Mac and I have the same ones. Totally reliable so far.

Jdp, how long have you had them on for (months, weeks) ?

TBH i would buy the LED and resistor from kufatec if you want an oem look. I already have the mentioned ebay LEDs and whilst i don't get any bulb errors, i find the light beams are concentrated in just 2 spots (ie directly underneath the LEDs) whereas the oem LEDs should have better light distribution. So thinking of ditching my LEDs and going for the kufatec LED and resistor kit.

dpaz,
if i buy the oem LED and resistor kit from kufatec, where does the resistor fit exactly? Wondering if any old garage can install the resistor or whether i need to take it to an auto alectrician.

TBH i would buy the LED and resistor from kufatec if you want an oem look. I already have the mentioned ebay LEDs and whilst i don't get any bulb errors, i find the light beams are concentrated in just 2 spots (ie directly underneath the LEDs) whereas the oem LEDs should have better light distribution. So thinking of ditching my LEDs and going for the kufatec LED and resistor kit.

dpaz,
if i buy the oem LED and resistor kit from kufatec, where does the resistor fit exactly? Wondering if any old garage can install the resistor or whether i need to take it to an auto alectrician.

Thanks for the reply psychopomp, I was just gonna ask whether the light is distributed evenly from the EBay ones, but you answered my question there. Think most likely gonna go for the Kufatec set as yourself.

It would be interesting to find out where does the resistor fit and whether you can fit it in yourself or need to have it done by a mechanic. Any chance you can help us out Dpaz? :)

Cheers for that, need to look more into this because Kufatec seem to be a good brand, so might be worth investing in the housing as well as the adapter. On the other hand, mac and jdp are saying that the ebay ones are doing the job and can see from the pics they give off a good light, pricewise 22 pounds isn't bad either, even when including postage cost.

Jdp, how long have you had them on for (months, weeks) ?

Just to confirm, i bought the OEM S5 LED plate light units from my local dealership. Exactly the same shape etc as the standard filament ones in our cars. but have an LED unit instead of a bulb. They dont throw up any errors as i dont have the most upto date DIS and i dont get a bulb out warning on my dash. But i find that as i am driving about, the lights will flicker once or twice and then go out according to my mates, then as soon as i turn them off and back on again they will light up for a few minutes and then go out. So are pretty much useless.

Thanks for that Jord. Yeah if they are not working properly for you then definitely worth looking into the kufatec aftermarket option. Last thing I want is to dish out 35 euro and find that they don't work properly :( just waiting for a response from the guys to see if I buy the kufatec set how will I go about fitting the adapter, as it seems more than just simple plug and play :what:

I would put up a picture of my OEM setup but not keen on having my number plate on the internet. PM me if your interested and I will send you one.

I have looked into this and its the facelift (June 2012 onwards) A5 Cabriolet that has the same housing. The A5 Saloon/Sportback is NOT THE CORRECT HOUSING.
It's common practice with VAG's to re-use the same part across various platforms. Regardless the P/N is the same, Kufatec even make things easier by supplying you with the P/N so I have no idea why you lot are all confused :keule:. The P/N's you need are:

1x 4H0 943 021
1x 4H0 943 022
1x Resistor

Jord_C Nice to see someone local! As long as they fit the housing then you've got the right ones you just need resistors as that is classic CANBUS error behaviour. I will send you a PM.

ukphillad Order the P/N's listed above from your local dealer or just get the adapter and LED's from Kufatec.

Last edited:
I would put up a picture of my OEM setup but not keen on having my number plate on the internet. PM me if your interested and I will send you one.

I have looked into this and its the facelift (June 2012 onwards) A5 Cabriolet that has the same housing. The A5 Saloon/Sportback is NOT THE CORRECT HOUSING.
It's common practice with VAG's to re-use the same part across various platforms. Regardless the P/N is the same, Kufatec even make things easier by supplying you with the P/N so I have no idea why you lot are all confused :keule:. The P/N's you need are:

1x 4H0 943 021
1x 4H0 943 022
1x Resistor

Jord_C Nice to see someone local! As long as they fit the housing then you've got the right ones you just need resistors as that is classic CANBUS error behaviour. I will send you a PM.

ukphillad Order the P/N's listed above from your local dealer or just get the adapter and LED's from Kufatec.

Thanks for the answer dpaz :) Think I'm gonna end up going down the Kufatec route, so once they arrive and are fitted will post some before and after pics :D

I just bought canbus festoon led bulbs have had them in about a year now, no issues no side effects and a lot cheaper, have changed the whole lot inside as well no issues here :yes:

I just bought canbus festoon led bulbs have had them in about a year now, no issues no side effects and a lot cheaper, have changed the whole lot inside as well no issues here :yes:

Where did you buy them? eBay?

IIRC they wee around £25, absolutely no errors and they have been on over a year.

They will be up for grabs soon, as car is returning to standard.

Hi,
Does anyone one know whether the number plate light fitting that Kufatec are selling will fit a Convertible? (B7).

My advice is take care that the bulbs/units you order are not too bright. Many of the ebay ones are just so bright they look utterly ridiculous.

1x 4H0 943 021
1x 4H0 943 022
1x Resistor

any news with the loom yet matey?

Thanks for the answer dpaz :) Think I'm gonna end up going down the Kufatec route, so once they arrive and are fitted will post some before and after pics :D

Did you get the Kufatec lights + resistor in the end? How do you find them? Any chance of some pics? I now get random bulb warnings with my el-cheapo ebay ones (i bought these) so time to get rid of them and get oem quality ones.

Reactions: reido
Finally got the Kufatec oem number plate LEDs and resistor delivered a few days ago. Today the car went to Highland Audi for a service so i asked them to install the LED & resistor. IMHO a lot better than the ebay one i bought which was way too bright, dispersed light unevenly and lately started to give me bulb warning errors despite having resistors built-in.

DSCF0748.jpg

DSCF0749.jpg

DSCF0750.jpg

DSCF0752.jpg

DSCF0753.jpg

Nice illegal number plate.

So you went to the effort of sending me a PM asking how to install the resistor and yet went and asked Audi to do it anyways hahah.

The job is that quick and easy it probably took you more time explaining to the service desk what you wanted doing.

I got the audi a5 leds reg light fitted last week and that kufactec resistor harness which all i can say is does exactly what it says on the tin no problem to date touch wood. Getting audi to do it lol, it takes like 15 mins while going slow and you cant go wrong.

* for any one yet to try it see below, dont think i missed anything hopefully *
Hardest part for me was was removing boot trim fiddly job with them clips cut my hands but just one screw to remember to remove and that warning triangle and clip holder, then locating the harness for reg lights was not rocket science but to remove was awkward as i found needed pressure on the metal part then to pull at same time and a torch shining is handy or tape it against the boot.

You just connect the fat kufactec end to the audi harness and wait for a click then kufactec skinny end to audi reg light housing and hear a click. Then just replace a4 to a5 reg lights via unscrew and a tap against the boot unseated them but when installing audi a5 reg light make sure it in right as there like a funny knotch it sits in a certain groove you will notice to stop it falling when pushed in flush and check gap around same which i used and recommend them torx screws with ratchet set gently easing it in which you cant strip it as i found best because a4 philips screw doesn't sit right in the a5 led housing.
Then key in ignition and turn on lights and test should have them a5 led reg lights powered up showing nice white clean light, then fit boot trim again. I opened and closed the boot a few times due because if not screwed in enough the light will move towards ground a tiny bit which you will notice the gap different around it so a few turns and test again until no movement at all.

Last edited:
Like i said my car was due for a service and free MOT anyway at the dealers and i just asked them to fit the bulbs whilst they were working on my car...they didn't charge extra :). But no way would i take the car to the stealers just to get the LED bulbs fitted.

As for the the numberplates...i've had at least 3 coppers behind me and never been stopped. Even passed 2 MOTs with them :p

Might invest in some OEM ones from the Kufatec website as two of the LED strips has failed on one of my aftermarket units after just over a year of having them. Also error bleeps on dash on cold mornings but dissappears almost instantly.

ONLY thing putting me off is spending almost 70EUROS on them...

As for the the numberplates...i've had at least 3 coppers behind me and never been stopped. Even passed 2 MOTs with them :p

Just be careful. The Police have different crimes to focus on and every so often it's vehicles with illegal number plates. Also, different police forces have different priorities. The number which were stopped by Cleveland Police for number plates with just mucked around spacing was high.

Just be careful. The Police have different crimes to focus on and every so often it's vehicles with illegal number plates. Also, different police forces have different priorities. The number which were stopped by Cleveland Police for number plates with just mucked around spacing was high.

I agree. I love the look of the German font, but it's just a fine (and possibly points?) waiting to happen. A bit like a yellow card for removing your shirt when celebrating a goal.

Might invest in some OEM ones from the Kufatec website as two of the LED strips has failed on one of my aftermarket units after just over a year of having them. Also error bleeps on dash on cold mornings but dissappears almost instantly.

ONLY thing putting me off is spending almost 70EUROS on them...

as the saying goes buy once instead of twice :p. Here stick your current ones on ebay try to get a bit back.

Trust me the oem audi ones with that harness are the dogs balls. I bought mine through ebay as the kufatec are cu*ts trying to charge £30 postage to n.i.

i got mine from german ebay and note no import fees at all as i calculated it before hand.

WOW Satz Original Audi LED Kennzeichenbeleuchtung Kennzeichenleuchte + Schrauben | eBay

and

LED Adapter Kennzeichenbeleuchtung AUDI A3 S3 RS3 8P A4 S4 RS4 8E B6 B7 Kufatec | eBay

as the saying goes buy once instead of twice :p. Here stick your current ones on ebay try to get a bit back.

Trust me the oem audi ones with that harness are the dogs balls. I bought mine through ebay as the kufatec are cu*ts trying to charge £30 postage to n.i.

i got mine from german ebay and note no import fees at all as i calculated it before hand.

WOW Satz Original Audi LED Kennzeichenbeleuchtung Kennzeichenleuchte + Schrauben | eBay

and

LED Adapter Kennzeichenbeleuchtung AUDI A3 S3 RS3 8P A4 S4 RS4 8E B6 B7 Kufatec | eBay

So far, mine continue to work well, but if they do decide to go south, I'll take inspiration from you, Etxeondo. :beerchug:

I have an A4 TDI 05 b7 and fitted 2 x 3 led in number plate and it threw up error bulb gone..purchased the resistor and wired it into the loom from inside the passenger side to the boot lid.. I only wired it onto one of the grey wires using a connector block and then to the brown earth and hey presto!! Got my bulbs and resistor from fizmo on eBay ..around 10 quid for both :)