Volks AutosChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scotty76

Thread: Exhaust tone?

4th Gear

Status

Exhaust tone?

Just wondering whether this has something to do with the cold or not...

Started my car tonight, cold start, and the exhaust had a louder than normal tone which made me think it was blowing somwhere...after 30 seconds it went. tried again a few hours later after car had cooled again and same thing happened. Also when revving can vaguely hear a similar note which hasnt been there before tonight.

im new to petrols and obv they arequieter than diesel but is this something that affects 2.0T engine/ezhaust when in colder weather or should i get it looked at underneath for any holes? or perhaps test by blocking the pipes with rags to see if it still runs etc...

it isnt mega loud ill add, just different enough to make one think oh, exhaust blowing there...then fades out. seems odd
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Like this?

Not sure your car has a secondary air pump, but these do this in cold weather which can make it sound much louder, my S3 8L had 1 & it used to pee me of, but then again mine was buggered twice.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

4th Gear

Status
    Hmm i would say possibly yes BUT it doesnt come from anywhere near the engine. seems to come more from the back left tailpipe and then dies off and usual burbly tone from both pipes as it settles in. but initialy loud on back left. id have thought though that if it was blowing due to a hole..it would stay at the same tone.. 0_o when i start it tomorrow ill see if i can get an audio clip

reading around tho, and not necessarily audi, it appears turbo petrol engines experience this noise from the exhaust pipes for 15-20 seconds due to the air pump you said above. so i guess maybe it is normal
    Last edited by Av4nt; 10th January 2014 at 01:17.
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    Hmm i would say possibly yes BUT it doesnt come from anywhere near the engine. seems to come more from the back left tailpipe and then dies off and usual burbly tone from both pipes as it settles in. but initialy loud on back left. id have thought though that if it was blowing due to a hole..
    Mine does this. Always has. Sounds like a hole in the exhaust and yes it's only the left tail pipe. I've had a look at it with the mechanic when it was up on the ramps once and there was no problem. I've just put it down as a characteristic. I didn't even know it was doing it until I heard the wife going out in the car once.
    Jon13s likes this.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Craig Cull's Youtube Channel
    Mine used to do it with the standard exhaust. It's coz it's running on the auto choke. You'll find probably another 30 seconds after, the revs will then drop to idle. Nothing unusual. Mine was even worse with a decat pipe. Doesn't do it at all with the miltek turbo back exhaust. My previous exhaust wasn't blowing either.
    K04 hybrid turbo. S3 injectors, Autotech hpfp internals, RS4 fuel pressure regulator, custom FMIC, APR carbonio intake, decat pipe, milltek cat back non resonated 100mm tips, unicorn developments custom remap, launch control and flat shift. Valet mode, economy map and full power map options. Stage 3 southbend clutch with single mass flywheel, Eibach pro street coilovers, eibach front and rear anti roll bars, porsche cayenne 6 pot calipers front, S4 rear brake conversion.

5th Gear

Status
    I had a deja vu feeling about this, so I had a dig around.

exhaust blow tfsi engine

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by craigcull View Post
    Mine used to do it with the standard exhaust. It's coz it's running on the auto choke. You'll find probably another 30 seconds after, the revs will then drop to idle. Nothing unusual. Mine was even worse with a decat pipe. Doesn't do it at all with the miltek turbo back exhaust. My previous exhaust wasn't blowing either.
    Craig is correct. It is just from the Auto choke the car will sit at 1200 rpm and the rough burbling effect from the exhaust will happen especially on the left. My DTM does the exact same thing.

If you rev the car lightly to 2000 rpm you will see that it will disappear quicker and is causing the choke to drop off sooner.

4th Gear

Status
    awesome thats good then. bit annoying but i can live with it. having chrome tailpipes fitted at end of month so ill get him to double check the system anyway but thanks for the replies