Spare wheel water leak, a cure !!

joinerman

Reaction score
Been trying to trace where the water gets in to the wheel well on my estate, think I've cracked it, at each corner of the rubber seal in the pic there's a small hole that lets water under the trim & into the well, took the inner panel off to expose two water lines from the corners direct to the well, dried everything off & refitted everything then went around under where the rubber lips over the inner panel with a fine bead of silicone, pressed along the rubber so it just oozed out the a wet finger to clean it up, seems to be working.

Reactions: tut_gareth
Silicone wont last long, what you want is a pu type sealant about 7 pounds a tube.
Ive seen many boot seals where the grippy bit just doesnt grip enough, cure remove the seal nip it up with pliers and refit it carefully, dont use a hammer as it spreads the seal apart again.

Hmm sorry to disagree re use of silicone, used it on several of my other vehicles & all have been fine using it, some for years.

I see it all the time at work on trucks and on boats, silicone may fill the gap but the edges never stay stuck and always come away
Same as in the shower etc eventually it fails.
I realise that trucks and boats are probably the severe end of most peoples usage but its what I see day in day out.

yes I know what you mean re edges curling up, I use some stuff called Dunbrik, its a class 2 gas flue block sealant, it's ****** good and never had a problem with curling, unlike the stuff you get from b and q or wicks etc

Well it's been three weeks & boy have we had some rain, thought i would check the well today, one other mod i did was to nick a corner out of the grommit seen in the pic bit crude i know but i only have one useful hand at the moment, helps with ventilation, anyways well was bone dry.