Battery on the way out?

scotty76

Reaction score
Car was slow to start this morning but was fine once going, headlights working fine etc. What was odd was the date and time on the DIS had reset itself. If the battery had been flat the car wouldn't have started at all I assume? Could the battery be on the way out or could it just be a gremlin having sat in the rain for 2 weeks?

Certainly sounds like a battery issue tbh, it would certainly be my 1st check overall, grab yourself a ctek & give that a whirl, very handy device indeed, I use the mxs 10, but you can buy the lesser cheaper version.

Car was slow to start this morning but was fine once going, headlights working fine etc. What was odd was the date and time on the DIS had reset itself. If the battery had been flat the car wouldn't have started at all I assume? Could the battery be on the way out or could it just be a gremlin having sat in the rain for 2 weeks?

Same symptoms I had last year ( although no change to the date and time )....just caught it before it died.....****** when you don't! Once they show sign of death.....bin it!

BR
A

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76
If it's not been used for 2 weeks then the battery will have been low. If you use it on a day to day basis it should be OK. If leaving the car for weeks at a time is common then the battery probably needs changing. Once you get past 5 years on an original battery then you are on borrowed time. Some people get lucky and get over 10 years, regular use will help the battery rather than long standing at low charge levels.
The battery voltage will have dipped when you started the car and this is what has probably reset the clocks.
Buying a replacement before it fails is always the best, you can afford to wait a few days for the postage and can get a quality battery for £60. If it fails and you need it tomorrow you end up with a no name cheap battery costing more or a quality battery from somewhere like Halfrauds at silly money.

Karl.

Thanks all. How do you get the battery out? I saw mention of some kind of retaining clamp that you need a long socket extension to get at, is that correct?

Apparently they can be a bit tricky.
Tyre Web did mine, and after trying for 90 minutes I had Nigel NHN on the phone to explain to them how to get the battery out.

Reactions: scotty76 and NHN
Well I tried to explain anyway, maybe not the best, but it got done thankfully :)

Happy new year matey.

Yes, it did help, and happy new year to you too.

Two hours labour with new battery fitted for £90 !

Reactions: NHN
Eeek. Don't think I'll be DIY'ing this one. Time to phone my local Audi indie.

So, just to follow up. Battery is knackered. Quotes:

Audi Newbury
Battery: £116.65
Fitting: £72

:ohmy:

Local indie (Jantech)
Genuine battery: £98 fitted
Quantum (TPS brand): £58 fitted (2 year warranty)

So am I missing something here why is it so hard to change the battery and why are Audi charging £72 to fit it.

I don't have the tools (socket extension) to get at the battery clamp. And I have no idea why Audi think £72 is a good price. :)

£72 for a maximum of ten minuets work, or put it another way, £432 an hour, dealers prices going through the roof.

Motor save fitted me a heavy duty battery with a 5 year warranty last year for £110 fitted

I used a normal "T" handle Allen key to take out the retaining screw, slide the clamp along to one side. Disconnect, lift the foam off the bulk head and simply lift the battery out. Literally takes 5-10mins to change so struggling to see how it costs that much, hardest part is physically lifting it.

Wow you guys are keen, I salute you. But I'm not doing it coz I'm lazy and ham fisted. :)

So, just to follow up. Battery is knackered. Quotes:

Audi Newbury
Battery: £116.65
Fitting: £72

:ohmy:

Local indie (Jantech)
Genuine battery: £98 fitted
Quantum (TPS brand): £58 fitted (2 year warranty)

That's a bit sharp.....even for Swedenshire pricing!...battery price would have included fitting up here at around 100gbp...anyway, best that than cutting out at 2am on the hard shoulder somewhere.....can't put a price on that malarky!

BR
A

Certainly sounds like a battery issue tbh, it would certainly be my 1st check overall, grab yourself a ctek & give that a whirl, very handy device indeed, I use the mxs 10, but you can buy the lesser cheaper version.
Can you use a ctek plugged into the cigarette lighter socket Nigel? The A4 has been standing unused & I thought of giving the battery a boost.
I have the VX plugged to a ctek all winter.