Clunking when braking

SinghB7

Reaction score
I had my front pads changed in August, when I footbrake there is a clunking coming from the front brakes, like a mettalic clunk.
Any one else had this problem? What could it be?
I'm going to strip the front brakes down this weekend and rebuild them see if that makes a difference.

Interesting, i started to get this in the wet only recently though, after the brake update on the RS3, after being sat at a junction or lights every now & again I'd hear a clunk/noise as I moved off, stripped the brakes at the weekend but couldn't find anything unusual on inspection.

I get it in the wet and dry weather. I had a quick visual check and couldn't find nothing. It is when i'm stopping at the lights or braking in normal driving.

I get this too, generally only at lower speeds but I'm not sure if it's only because I just can't hear it at higher speeds. I popped the wheels off and had a quick look, when I rotate the disc back and forth the clunk seems to come from the inner CV or gearbox area and not from the brakes.
Hopefully you guys can have a quick look at yours and report back.

hi all are you aware that a lot of brake pads are directional . original pads. pagid pads and a host of others have direction arrows stamped into the retaining spring you need to ensure these are pointing in the right direction or you get a clunk when the brakes are applied

I've currently the same issue after changing shocks/perch plates/discs and pads

Just bought new pad retaining clips so going to fit them see if it helps

The brake pad carriers can get worn or some pads are slightly smaller which causes a clunking sound which is more noticeable at lower speeds. I have noticed this on motorbikes I have worked on in the past as the sound is more noticeable as you are sat above the calipers.