AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Bridgestone Potenza or Goodyear Eagle F1

Does anyone know which tyre out of the Bridgestone Potenza S001 235/40 18 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Assemetric 2 235/40 18 has got the best alloy wheel protection?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    goodyear eagle f1's and the grip is spectacular.. on a quattro anyway not sure bout FWD

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandz View Post
    goodyear eagle f1's and the grip is spectacular.. on a quattro anyway not sure bout FWD

It is the Quattro. Thanks for response!

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit SinghB7's Instagram Channel
    I have the eagle f1's on mine, has a fairly decent rim protector on them.
    Unsure about the bridgestone however.

3rd Gear

Status
    Much the same, a generous one.

Unlike Kumho's pointless 3.5 mm offering.

God Mode

Status
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport... oh wait that's not an option

Goodyear will be happy either way though

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandz View Post
    Also phenomenal on the fwd too in snow sleet rain and shine 100% recommended

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiB7Jay View Post
    Also phenomenal on the fwd too in snow sleet rain and shine 100% recommended
    I have just ordered a pair for my car. Think I got a good price, £144 fitted.
    Audi A3 8P Sport Back 170BHP (And I Love it)

web page: philseagust.co.uk
    E-Mail:info@philseagust.co.uk

2nd Gear

Status
    Sounds like a better price than I got last year. £250 each plus 40 fitting and balanced.
    Have a nice rim protector on them on the 235/40/18 sat on std sline 5spoke 8j alloys

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunos View Post
    Does anyone know which tyre out of the Bridgestone Potenza S001 235/40 18 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Assemetric 2 235/40 18 has got the best alloy wheel protection?
    To answer to what you were asking I would say the GD year F1 AS2 has the better alloy wheel protection.

If you were asking me which Tyre I would choose out of them I would say neither. Audi often specify not to use the GD Year AS2.

Being a bit OCD about maintenance and care for my vehicle I like to stick to manufacture standards. And I have mentioned before in previous posts when I went and explored the GMBH factory where my Audi was built I naturally asked a lot of questions regarding the quattro system etc. The big thing they always mentioned was tyres is the biggest factor for optimal life and performance on the quattro cars. They actually gave me a list of all tyres that meet there standard and are recommended for the quattro system. Being a GD year AS2 fan for my other vehicles I noticed it was not on there. Basically it boiled down the compound being too soft, side wall is soft and the asymetric pattern causes issues - makes them prone to staggered effect or saw tooth effect . Some may have other experiences and thoughts. But for me I rather listen to these guys that built the vehicle All down to choice.

If you were to ask me which tyre I would suggest for excellent grip and rim protector I would say easily:

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT

The Bridgestone potena s001 are noisy tyres also rated 3 noisiest tyre for the 235/40/18 range. Again preference.
    Last edited by Giosabcsl; 7th January 2014 at 10:56.

Lifeboat

Status
    So what did the Audi guys say to use - may help with my choice later

Quote Originally Posted by Giosabcsl View Post
    To answer to what you were asking I would say the GD year F1 AS2 has the better alloy wheel protection.

If you were asking me which Tyre I would choose out of them I would say neither. Audi often specify not to use the GD Year AS2.

Being a bit OCD about maintenance and care for my vehicle I like to stick to manufacture standards. And I have mentioned before in previous posts when I went and explored the GMBH factory where my Audi was built I naturally asked a lot of questions regarding the quattro system etc. The big thing they always mentioned was tyres is the biggest factor for optimal life and performance on the quattro cars. They actually gave me a list of all tyres that meet there standard and are recommended for the quattro system. Being a GD year AS2 fan for my other vehicles I noticed it was not on there. Basically it boiled down the compound being too soft, side wall is soft and the asymetric pattern causes issues - makes them prone to staggered effect or saw tooth effect . Some may have other experiences and thoughts. But for me I rather listen to these guys that built the vehicle All down to choice.

If you were to ask me which tyre I would suggest for excellent grip and rim protector I would say easily:

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT

The Bridgestone potena s001 are noisy tyres also rated 3 noisiest tyre for the 235/40/18 range. Again preference.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4-Ricky View Post
    So what did the Audi guys say to use - may help with my choice later
    Well its quite a long list to be honest. It all depends on the brand you are after if you mention a few brands i can suggest which are recommend to be used with the vehicle.

2nd Gear

Status
    Dunlop Sport Maxx RT seems to have very good EU ratings. Not sure how much you can trust those new-fangled EU tyre ratings though.

Dunlop Spot Maxx RT
    Fuel Efficiency: C
    Wet Grip: A
    Genuine Ross-Tech VCDS Owner - Lincolnshire & Humber Area

God Mode

Status
    All I know is they make some damn fine tennis racquets haha, to be honest it puts me off a brand when they think they're jack of all trades; e.g. Phillips making coffee machines, razors, irons, light bulbs, televisions, juicers, tooth brushes, head units, etc. I'm sure both brands are good in all aspects but prefer picking one that focuses on one specific area.

3rd Gear

Status
    Goodyear own Dunlop.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Iv used the continental eco contacts on my previous cars and been happy with them, and an S4 owning friend of mine uses the continental sport contact 2 on his cars. Not sure about the rim protection, i don't think it was very big so they might not be much use.

My Girlfriends dad has the Bridgstones Potenza fitted to his Subaru WRX ProDrive and loves them. They have a fairly big rim protection but then the down side is, they aren't all that much use in the snow. They are more a fair weather tyre!

Jack

God Mode

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Goodyear own Dunlop.
    VW owns Bugatti

Edit: Not sure if the reasoning behind that was made clear but there's a difference in one company trying to be jack of all trades and one splitting apart with different names, strategies and aims.
    Last edited by DieselJake; 9th January 2014 at 00:57.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaz View Post
    Dunlop Sport Maxx RT seems to have very good EU ratings. Not sure how much you can trust those new-fangled EU tyre ratings though.

Dunlop Spot Maxx RT
    Fuel Efficiency: C
    Wet Grip: A
    I think I'd trust the EU tyre ratings about as much as I trust the EU fuel consumption figures!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunos View Post
    I have used the assymetrics 2 and the potenzas s04, never used the s001 so i can tell you this:

Both are amazing tyres, it is clear that the assymetrics have better traction and stopping power, in handling i had the feeling that the assymetrics were a bit softer although they where progresive and very grippy. The s04,s were grippy but not as proggresive . Both turned to be very comfortable in every day use although the assymetrics were quieter.

The rim prottection of the assymetrics is good , i guess it has a 6 mm protection band , same
    As the bridgestones.

Both

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Ant600's Instagram Channel
    I'm a big fan of potenzas they last a long time too . Also continental conti sports are good but a bit pricey . Just don't go for nankang ditch finders

1st Gear

Status
    Any opinions on Uniroyal: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/45/18, 225/45R18

Wet Grip Rating: A and Fuel Efficiency: C, approx £30 less per tyre than Michelin Pilot Sport PS3 or Dunlop Sport Maxx RT.
    2005 B7 A4 2.0T in Moro Blue

Interior, Number Plate & Sidelight LED's from T8ups, 18" 9 Spoke TT Wheels.
    BGB Engine Code.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I've been looking for a while at what to fit next, as my current tyres are coming to the end of their useful life. I'm closing in on the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals