Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

A4 2.0 TDiQ 170 Avant brake upgrade

Hi folks

Newbie to the forum, but you all seem like a friendly helpful bunch from what I've read so far - so I feel like I'm in good company

just picked up my BRD TDiQ 170 a few weeks back and desperately need to sort the brakes, and balancer shaft (mines a gear driven oil pump but still subject to wear on the shaft). Looking through the posts I can find on here it seems like A6 or 2.0T front calipers/carriers are a good choice. She's on 17's but came with a set of 16's and Dunlop Winter Sports 4D so whatever I do needs to sit under the 16's - anyone know max disc size?

if I go A6 calipers do I need to use C7 as I have a B7, or doesn't it work like that? Found some C6 calipers but I don't know if they'll just bolt straight on. It looks like I have 300mm discs fitted but they might as well be made of chocolate...scary how bad the brakes are.

I'd prefer to just swap calipers front and back, rather than carriers if possible, just due to budget - but if that's not going to work then carriers are fine. Just looking for pointers from anyone who's done this please, new to part numbers and don't have ETKA yet.

Thanks for any and all feedback

Rich

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi and welcome to the forum!!

If it's a 170 I'd think you'll have minimum of 312mm discs but you need to confirm that first as they vary from car to car.
    Personally I think if your brakes are that bad then there might be an issue with them, either crap discs, pads of something else. Swapping calipers seems a bit drastic, most change the carriers to go up a disc size using there existing calipers to save money but if you want to keep your 16's this might not be an option. Personally I'd get new discs and pads and have a good look at the condition operation of the calipers whilst I was changing over the discs. Unless you're going up a disc size or have a bad caliper then changing the calipers as an upgrade on there own is realistically not going achieve much.

Hopefully someone will know what size of discs you could squeeze under 16" wheels, then its just pads, discs and carriers to buy for a cheaper, more effective upgrade.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers Ajax they do work, but they're just awful. Foot right to the ABS bite point at 70 as traffic backed up in front and I honestly thought I was going to mount the car in front :/ read a few posts here suggesting the standard calipers aren't up to the job, but I'm used to E46 BMW twin pot calipers with braided hoses...and I know hoses make a difference, but surely not that much!?!?

2nd Gear

Status
    Sell on the 16" wheels and buy bigger ones!!!

That's the major limiting factor here although a decent set of discs with quality pads and as you say braided lines will make a noticeable difference. I think the majority of Audi calipers that will go under a 16" wheel will all be single pot so never going to be the greatest.

Took me 2 attempts of buying then selling on wheels for my 18" winter tyres to fit over my brakes:-)

Neutral

Status
    My mate had a 59 plate A6 S Line Avant, and he used to put 16s with winter tyres on it (My old wheels off an A4 SE). It normally lived in 19s, so looked pretty ridiculous, but they certainly went on, so although I can't guarantee it, you would probably be ok.

MMM
    2006 '56' A4 Avant S Line TDi 170 Quattro. Full two tone leather, RNS-E, Xenons, Parking sensors, Privacy glass, Cruise control, retro fitted Glovebox changer, Heated seats, Bose, RS4 grille, OEM Bluetooth.