Battery disconnection

joinerman

Reaction score
If i disconnect the battery on my 05 3.0 tdi quattro to clear out the scuttle of leaves & debri will the radio need the code put back in & will the key fobs keep their programing/synchronicity ?

I recently changed batteries after the car had sat for a few days with a dead battery. The radio didn't need the code back in but the key fob wouldn't work. Once I'd used the key to start the car then lock the car by using the key in the lock it started working remotely again.

I did the same and had it off for 30mins. Same with keys but I had to resync key with vcds as it wouldn't open doors. I started getting a few different lights on dash that cleared after some driving and clearing with vcds

Radio remembers last vin connected to, so you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info, job done today, battery out, bungs out, clean out all the s**t, new pollen filter, fit new cover & battery cover, keys needed programing again.

That's very strange, I've disconnected batteries for hours, even days & the remotes always worked without resync.

Had my battery disconnected for a good 48hrs and needed to resync.

Just when I read this, my Wife's TDI S-Line (170) 2007 has some VCDS codes to do with the radio, it works fine but I was thinking maybe the previous owner had changed it and never coded it properly. The car did get another battery just after we got it, could it be due to that and how can I rectify the coding, I have an up to date Vag-Com but not very good with it. Sorry, don't mean to hyjack the thread.

The only thing I had to do was reprogram the windows. It's all in the handbook, 2 min job and no VCDS needed. Mine was dead for 3 days. The sat nav was fine.

I had a new battery on Monday. Radio was fine but did need to do the key fob thing. I went for unlock, used key to turn ignition on, turn ignition off again and lock car using fob. Worked fine.

Scotty76 what battery did you get? Looking at replacing mine in a month or two myself.

Scotty76 what battery did you get? Looking at replacing mine in a month or two myself.
My local Audi indie ordered it from TPS and fitted it for me. When it turned up it was an Exide Excell.

BTW Euro Car Parts have 15% of all batteries at the moment.

What I can say is I thought my car was starting fine, maybe a little slow but not "old car, crank it for 30 seconds slow". But I was wrong. It's much faster and more eager to start now. :)

I'm now fully expecting a massive battery discussion/that battery is sh*t discussion but I don't really care. It's guaranteed and by the time the guarantee runs out chances are I won't have the car anymore.

I think nowadays unless you buy an unbranded battery, its probably quite hard to get a crap one.

Reactions: scotty76
I recently got a Bosch Silverline from Halfords, with a trade card it's was a good deal.

Other thing to bear in mind is the batteries warranty, some are proper if it fails you get a new one, others are pro rata, ie 4 yr warranty, so if it fails at 3 years, they then give you 25 percent of a replacement unit as you've had 75 percent of its life.
But like you rightly say people dont tend to keep cars for that long now.

I have a Halfords trade cars as well and bought about 3 calcium batteries over the last few years, they come with a longer 4 year warranty and I had to get one exchanged, which was surprisingly easy, at about 2 years old just took it in and got a new one. The rest have been fine. Prior to that I bought a Varta for my Golf, which I kept when I sold it, battery ws about 3 years old and just out of warranty. I wondered if it was really worthwhile keeping it but a few months later my Wife's A3 battery packed up and the Varta's in there and fine 2 years later.