Tom's Quattro Special Ed.

Andrewstw

Reaction score
I've had my B7 for about 4 months now, got a thread up on UKMKIV's as i had a golf MK5 before. Thought i'd get a thread started up here as everyones on the same wavelength in respect that everyones got an audi :).

Here it is the day i picked it up.

Main spec is:
2.0T FSI (218)
S-line package
Torsen Quattro
18" DTM wheels (Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta all round)
Bose

Just a blast from the past, this is how i left my Golf

Haven't really done much at the moment, just some cosmetics and sorting little problems out.

Fitted my Pioneer AVH unit from the golf

Had a DV fault code popping up as a mechanical fault. So after some research people are saying the newly released D valve doesn't hold boost as well, so i kept with the G diaphragm valve.
No tears at all in the diaphragm but the code as gone so something must have been wrong there.

Fitted up my new snub mount that arrived from the states

Gave it an oil and filter + air filter service, hooved out the box

Gave the engine a wipe over

I had a standard TT wheel in the golf but it didn't have an airbag or horn just an airbag cover, so i sold that and bought a TTS MFSW off a guy in bromley.
This was the standard wheel

Had to modify the harness to work with the B7 slip ring and also get the controls and horn working correctly

Also fitted cruise control when i finally got the correct T8 long torx bit so i can get the cowling off

Heres the wheel

Just a couple of snaps of how it is at the moment

Can't put the seats down so the bikes on the roof

Plans for the next month or two are to finish wrapping the Crome trim around the doors and also spray up the Chrome surround on the grill. Joey the headlights and also got a kit coming to convert them to Bi-xenon projectors while I'm at it.

Going to order up some AP coilovers then sort some wheels. Really like IND's at the moment and I'm not too bothered about how played they are.

Cheers
Tom

Very nice! :drool:

Loving the TTS steering wheel. Be interested in knowing what modifications you had to do to the harness? When I can spare the cash I'll be doing the same.

Looking good mate, any chance you're selling your standard wheel? I'm on the lookout for a replacement for my current steering wheel.

Az

Haven't really done much at the moment, just some cosmetics and sorting little problems out.

Fitted up my new snub mount that arrived from the states

Cheers
Tom

Good work,
I'm contemplating swapping out the snub mount too. Is it an easy job and what kind of difference did it make?

Couple of questions:-

How did you know how to wire up the steering wheel? I want to do that next :)

What is a snub mount? Sorry :)

look's nice pal, was is there alot of work required in the tt steering wheel or is it just swap a few wires round

Its worth taking the trunking that runs from the grill to the air filter housing, the housing has a fine mesh filter, this was badly blocked on the wifes car.

Dpaz, eddscott and wigandill - Just a case of swapping a few wires out. As i found the TT harness connector won't fit onto the B7 slip ring so this is why we need to modify the B7 harness using some of the TT harness wires. Took me a while to work out actually how to remove the wires but finally got there. In the harness connector theres a purple plastic 'pin' which holds each connector secure, however once you remove this each wire is still as solid as when the pin was still in! So after some playing, an hour later i found that you need to use a pin in the bottom of the connector and wiggle it in the small slit in the middle of the harness. Haven't really explained it very well but i've left the old harness at my parents so will show you once i get it!

As for where to put each wire:
The slots are numbered on the harness
3 through 6 are for the airbag - DO NOT TOUCH!

Remove each harness from the airbag.

You'll want to remove all the insulation cloth tap on both harnesses as we need to remove some cables. The earth and horn crimps are different on the B7 harness than the TT harness. This is why we need to swap these cables round.

Firstly lets start with the A4 B7 harness. Remove these cables from the A4 harness
Brown (Ground)
Yellow (Horn)
Also remove all the wires in the harness which go to the steering wheel controls (They're all black, don't get confused with the airbag ones! you'll know if its airbag because each airbag connector has twisted pair wires). You will not be using any of the wires removed from the B7 harness.

The B7 harness is now ready to take new connections

Now on to the TT harness.

Remove the:
Brown (Ground for controls, Horn and airbag)
Yellow (Horn)
Red (Controls)
Purple(Controls)

Now you want to use these wires to fit to the B7 loom connector, Put them in the correctly number slots as below.

This is where the wires are to go in the A4 B7 loom.
Brown to 1
Yellow to 2
Red to 8
Purple to 9

I had some cloth tape to wrap the harness back up as you don't want any wires (especially the airbag) wires to get snagged or chaffed.

Once the B7 harness is ready, fit it to the TT airbag ensuring the horn and both ground spade crimps are on the correct connections.

Hopefully i've explained it so its understandable. I can always take the bag off to show you everything, should have got more pictures. But any questions just ask. If you're scared can always send me your harness and i'll do it :)

A4_MaJiK - Currently i'm not, but it could change, you'll be the first to know

AudiB7Jay - I believe the standard audi sound system used the headunit to power the front speakers, and a rear amp to power the rear door and parcel shelf sub. The Bose system which i have has a dedicated amp to power the whole door speakers and the sub so i had to a harness which turns the headunits outputs into red and black RCA outputs. I also got a canbus adaptor which turns the canbus computer signals into a switch 12+ so it turns on and off with the ignition and accessory position of the key. Also it allowed me to keep the MFSW controls so i can control the volume and change track! Only issue i have currently is i'm getting a hum when i turn the lights on! noise canceller should sort that.

Can't remember where i got the kit from but will have a look for you, quite pricey, in the range of about 70 pounds.

solaris - Pretty easy, just remove the 3 cap heads and it comes out. To get the polybush back in i had to remove the housing but thats only 3 bolts so really simple. Some people haven't really noticed, but the engine/gearbox/gearstick was tilting back when i booted it, so took the plunge, had to get it from the states, haven't noticed the stick moving anymore (y)

eddscott - It's a mount on the front of the engine, stops the engine tilting back aggressively under heavy acceleration.

Last edited:
lynallbel - Oh really? might do that then, mine keeps popping open at the flexi bit anyway!

Yes defo worth a look, I couldnt quite work out how the leaves had got past the fine mesh, it had been partially blocked for a long time

good work bud

+1 on the snub mount

mine was trashed, i fitted the audiup green poly snub and sorted it out. it actually did the job so well it masked the fact both of my engine mounts were shot :D

Great write up. I will be sure to follow it when I fit one.

What are the symptoms of a shot snub mount?

Edit: Realised only present on petrol engines only

Last edited:
So after much discussion and help from GolfEdd (THANK YOU EDD!), my projectors from Retrofitlab have turned up :eyebrows:

I will be taking the bumper and lights out tomorrow to start transforming them from reflectors to projectors! Also while the bumpers off i'll spray up the chrome surround on the grill! Not going anywhere on the weekend so can take as long as i like :)

Good old eddwin, how do you find the fit of the pioneer double din?

Olly - Not ideal, the double din adaptor i got doesn't secure to anything, think it might be for older B7's or even the B6! The headunit trim surround is slightly crushed in the middle (top and bottom). So when the screen mechanism starts, it pops the trim off! But i rarely need to use the CD slot or SD card so it doesn't worry me too much.

Great write up. I will be sure to follow it when I fit one.

What are the symptoms of a shot snub mount?

Edit: Realised only present on petrol engines only

Diesels have them too mate. One of the first things I changed when I got the car. I was getting a lot of movement in the gear lever on acceleration and it didn't change gear very smoothly. I just got a new standard one, it sorted my issues but don't see it lasting as long as the poly ones above, cheap to replace tho.

Reactions: dpaz
Diesels have them too mate. One of the first things I changed when I got the car. I was getting a lot of movement in the gear lever on acceleration and it didn't change gear very smoothly. I just got a new standard one, it sorted my issues but don't see it lasting as long as the poly ones above, cheap to replace tho.

I did think they had them, really worth it and on idle you won't notice the difference in the stiffer poly because its not in contact with anything until you boot it!

Yea, i can't say i'm happy with my double din fitment either :(

Looking forward to seeing the headlights done

+2 on headlights.

And thanks ajax1976 for the heads up, definitely gonna be replacing mine then as I have the same play front to back movement under acceleration and the change particularly into third is different under acceleration than when I'm driving steady.

Now just to source one...

Last edited:
So started stripping down the front end on friday afternoon, got the lights splits and started spraying up the parts so they would be ready to go saturday. I'm really happy the way they've come out :).

Split

Comparison

I fitted the lights before sealing the lens back on to make sure the projectors were level otherwise i'd be having slanting problems, they looked like a angry south park canadian's eye brows, so got them straighten up!

Sealed back up and ready to go :)

Finished product + black grill surround :)

Anyway let me know your thoughts, im very happy with the way they've come out and the light output is just increadiable! Can't stop driving at night!

Also my armrest turned up :)

Just need to get a nut from work and it'll be in, the car already had one fitted as the hole is there, someone had removed it :sorry:

Oh well, finally got on off the bay!

nice cars arent they, got mine last week! Love the steering wheel and light conversion. As above if u dont mind was the projector kit much dolla? And i dont have an arm rest either in mine..was confused.. lol

lynallbel - Got the armrest off eBay

ukphillad & Av4nt - 215 euro's all in all with postage as well

Last edited:
Looking good mate

I want to spray up my headlights, just worried about getting condensation inside the light after it's been re-sealed. Let me know if this happens. What did you use to seal the lights back together?

Audibritz - TBH splitting the headlight is just the same as opening one of the doors on the back to access the lights in regard to condensation getting in there, i already had a leak in the seal on the N/S one so was getting pretty bad. They steamed up a bit when the temperature dropped but not anything to worry about, i've ordered some reusable silca gel to suck up all the moisture thats in them.

Because mine were leaking i ordered some new sealant, but many just leave the sealant as is. It reusable, just need to heat it up as you would take it apart and it'll seal nicely. Getting the old sealant out was a nightmare and i would advise sealing using the current sealant if there is nothing wrong with it!

looking good man, glad you like the lights - makes a massive difference on mine and you've got the updated version which is awesome. Damn you for that steering wheel and armrest! lol

looking Nice - COILOVERS NEEDED!

Agreed with Golfedd, coil overs or air suspension and the car will look the business :thumbup: you thinking of putting some different alloys on it or keeping the current ones ? :sly:

Golfedd - Hehe cheers Edd, you can only blame yourself regarding the light output because you've helped me a lot :nyah:

ukphillad - Coilovers are next on the list, i'm off skiing in 2 weeks time so i'll order some before i go then after that i'll crack on with them! As with the alloys i'm thinking Rotiform IND's in there stock, machined face. They look pretty OEM while really standing out!

ukphillad - Want to crack on with the engine, do it all slowly i think due it it being my daily and i can't afford it being off the road for long periods of time.
A Miltek cat-back with either a custom de-cat or one like this from the states J2 Racing Sport Stainless Exhaust Downpipe Down Pipe for Audi 06-08 A4 B7 2.0L | eBay. Also get a custom intake made up.

Want to take a trip to Rtech for a stage one, then potentially going to stage 3 later down the line. Front mount, S3 injectors, performance clutch, KO4 etc.

But plans can change and these are only really idea's at the moment

Last edited:
Currently my lightning connector is hanging down by my glove box, and i've been meaning to get it out of the way once i've got the armrest. So i've fitted a USB extension cable to lay in the glove box. I'll probably make a nice housing for it later down the line but this is what i've done for now. (iPhone photo's, SLR is out of battery)
Wrapped around the LED power cable

Neatly out of the way ready for mounting!

I like where this is going.

Any updates?

Only really update currently is these turned up yesterday and are going on next weekend :)

Then going to sort the wheels out a couple weeks after that :)

Excellent!!

Been looking at these myself, they get great reviews online, look forward to seeing them on see what you think of them.

What wheels are you thinking about?

Excellent!!

Been looking at these myself, they get great reviews online, look forward to seeing them on see what you think of them.

What wheels are you thinking about?

I've heard good thinks about AP's fitted to the B7's. I had them on the golf but the adjustability just wasn't there as i had them wound all the way down and still looked pretty rubbish. But from what i've heard they go nice and low with the B7's and they're way comfier than the standard S-Line suspension.

As for wheels i've got a set of Rotiform IND's 19" lined up (Machined finished). They look subtle (OEM) but stand out so looking forward to the next few weeks!

I've heard good thinks about AP's fitted to the B7's. I had them on the golf but the adjustability just wasn't there as i had them wound all the way down and still looked pretty rubbish. But from what i've heard they go nice and low with the B7's and they're way comfier than the standard S-Line suspension.

As for wheels i've got a set of Rotiform IND's 19" lined up (Machined finished). They look subtle (OEM) but stand out so looking forward to the next few weeks!

Nice wheel, looking forward to the pics!!!