A4 Sline 1.9 170bhp hot exhaust smell and change in exhaust note

Applianceman2010

Reaction score
As the thread title suggests i have a A4 Sline 1.9 170bhp with a hot exhaust smell and change in exhaust note . This has happened twice in the last few days after a long journey.(i regularly do long journeys and this has never happened before) The smell is like i've been gunning it and just driven through a large puddle ,the exhaust note is like the exhaust is blowing. I left it idling both times to get out and see what it could be,both times after about a minute it gives a bit of a judder and the car goes back to running normally.

Any answers would be appreciated thanks in advance DJ

You sure it's a 1.9? As the 2.0 170 bhp have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) that when they start to get blocked the go into whats called re-generation where the ecu injects more fuel than normal to increase the exhaust temperature to burn off carbon inside the DPF.

sorry yes 2.0....its been a long drive home. Ok that sounds plausible. i'm not getting any smoke when i put my foot down though. Do i need to be concerned or run some cleaner through it? etc.?

No you won't get any excess smoke. Don't be concerned it's totally normal, my lasses Lancer diesel shudders when it starts and finishes re-generation because of the ecu putting the extra fuel in then retuning to normal fuelling