Strange Noise from the glove box

Jimmy Parko

Reaction score
Hi All

i have a 2008 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI Special Edition.. The wife has noticed a strange noise coming form the Glove Box.. At first I thought it was something to do with the Climate Control but now I'm not too sure as it also happens when using the the Windscreen washers.

Can an anyone ahead any light on the situation and will it be a costly repair??

The noise is sort of like a intermittent grinding / vibration noise (before anyone asked I've checked the glove box for any if the wife's toys ha ha)

thanks in advance

Jimmy

Sounds like one of the climate control motors or mechanism is sticking, probably the recirculation flap one as that closes when you operate the windscreen washers to stop you smelling the washer fluid(!). No I'm not kidding about that...

Sounds like one of the climate control motors or mechanism is sticking, probably the recirculation flap one as that closes when you operate the windscreen washers to stop you smelling the washer fluid(!). No I'm not kidding about that...

Thanks PetrolDave.. Makes perfect sense to be honest is it an easy fix or is it worth leaving till the next service (mid Janualry)

regards Jimmy

Drop the glovebox and you can see the motors. My passenger temperature one has done this twice - first time it was a jammed linkage (freed it and refitted it), second time the connector had a corroded pin which I just cleaned up. The motors are only held on by 3 Torx screws so they're really easy to remove.

Not sure which one is the recirc one - maybe someone else can clarify?

It's definitely a job I would do rather than get ripped off by a dealer to do!

I had the same problem on mine, i removed the glove box (make sure you do not disconnect the plug otherwise airbag light will come on and you will have to pay to have it cleared by a garage)
The motor is right infront, i put 2 cable ties around it and tightened the housing together and it stopped.
A year later and its still fine.

(make sure you do not disconnect the plug otherwise airbag light will come on and you will have to pay to have it cleared by a garage)
If you or a friend have VCDS you/they can clear the airbag light too.