Thinking of buying 07 2.0 tdi 170 bhp need help? safe to remap?

Eigdoog

±§~Quadzackular~§±
Reaction score
Merry xmas and hello as I'm new!

So I've been reading on here a little to find out if i am going to buy a pup...

Its a 2007 A4 with the 2.0 tdi 170 bhp with 105k on the clock and cam belt and water pump done at 84k with full Audi service, now i hear about the injectors but if Audi will replace them thats not to bad.

I would like a 170 as they have abit more poke than the 140 plus with a remap to near 200, anyone done this? Do you feel it better?

How safe are these to remap to 200? Dont want the dpf messing up.

Cheers.

Welcome & Merry Xmas, if it has FASH then it's likely the injectors have been done.
They are pretty safe to remap to 200 mark, if your gonna remap then as Jake mentioned - DPF, get rid, car will perform alot better all round.

Have a good read through the threads using the search button, you'll find loads of info on what the modders have done.

Get shut of dpf and egr. The turbo will thank you for it. Are you looking at the s line SE?

Reactions: Macdoon
Cheers for the replies.

These are about 2 hours away from me, Angel Tuning Contact us Has anyone been there? They will remove the dpf and do a remap.

With removing the egr, is this a easy job?

Its a s-line, did these come with cruise control?

I enjoy modding cars so with this i would also want to do some retrofits and some s4 mods.

One more thing, how do i know what ones are b7 chassis and so on?

Cheers!

mines a 2.0 tdi 170 Quattro
had it remapped and dpf removed... HUGE difference!

I now need a heavier clutch though, but that's down to the torque

:w00t: Makes me really want a remap now then.

yours is the b7 shape by the way, I think its years between 03-07 (simple search will tell you)
I had the dpf removed egr deleted and remap for £490.

the egr delete is removed via computer software, basically just stops it working.
dpf is a must have to be taken out... car performs better overall.
remap will see you to about 210-215 depending on the map.

Mines really quick, and is like a train! Just sadly the clutch lets go when I put my foot down hard.

Mines also an sline, but I don't have cruise, I think it depends what spec the customer first put on it, its an easyish retrofit though.

Cheers for the replies.

These are about 2 hours away from me, Angel Tuning Contact us Has anyone been there? They will remove the dpf and do a remap.

With removing the egr, is this a easy job?

Its a s-line, did these come with cruise control?

I enjoy modding cars so with this i would also want to do some retrofits and some s4 mods.

One more thing, how do i know what ones are b7 chassis and so on?

Cheers!

Where are you based? I had mine done in Sheffield by SLT £375 all in

I live near cambridge (ely) Would be nice to know whats about round my way for audi remapping.

Think I'm going to go for the car as it seems like almost all problems can be sorted with a remap.

Sadly I'm going to use it for work with tools in the boot but wanted a smart car at the same time.

Cheers again for the help! If you know of anywhere near me that would be great, i have done a search but cant find anything.

Have a look on ebay for a shaped boot protector around £25. Ive got the Avant used it for a few jobs good size when seats are down

Cheers, ill have alook around. There will be sawdust in there so something to easy pull out and clean will be great.

Ive never seen the seats down in these and dont think ill need them down but do they fold all the way down?

Pretty much yeah. I used to put carpet film under them as well to stop any dog hair getting to engrained. But im a bit crazy lol

Ive even had my car washed then drove home and washed it again :huh:

Just keep looking for a remap now and there dont seem to be a lot to pick from.

You win👏. It might be worth the drive to use a reputable remapper than just hitting and hoping. Guy who did mine had 2 other cars done badly at his unit. 1 was welded very messy and it was visible.

Ive even had my car washed then drove home and washed it again :huh:

Just keep looking for a remap now and there dont seem to be a lot to pick from.

If you want to do it properly, don't let anybody else touch and spend 4 hrs detailing yourself ;)
I've got a S-line SE with 170bhp, had it over 2 years now. Great car but not considered a remap personally due to insurance prices.

Ive had mine 2 months and the turbos gone pop and suspected cracked head, make sure you have a good read about the thread on the oil pump balancer problems, all things I wish I'd of known about before I bought mine.

Just had a quick look and its over 1000 pages! Can someone sum it up in one quick move please lol.

Eventually it'll break unless your very lucky, combined that with weak turbo and dodgy injectors, possible porous head and the dpf issue I'd think long and hard before buying, if I'd if known what I know now before I bought mine I'd of probably gone for a BM, or Lexus is220d, saying that you only read about the broken ones I'm sure there's plenty that haven't broke yet, I would say check the history/ask the questions it may of already had the problems sorted.

I see what you mean, hopefully the injectors have been done but i will ask also i want a remap so this would get rid of the dpf and egr so i dont have a worry there.

The main worry is the oil balancer issue and turbo from what I've read, don't get me wrong I love mine its superb to drive and has plenty of power as it is just be aware of the issues do your research so you don't get caught out like I did.

The most common thing about forums is that you "only" hear about the problems and horror stories.

sadly unless you actually ask or you do a product review you never heard the good side to them.

There are always 2 sides to a story, it totally depends on how the car was treat and is being treated, always bare that in mind.

Reactions: Avnt
I agree you do mostly hear the horror stories but the frequency of the stories must mean something, don't let them put you off just be aware the issues do happen, mine has full history done regularly but the turbo has still gone it can happen regardless as there known for being weak, if your looking to remap then you may want to upgrade the turbo at the same time, even better results that way and takes away the worry.

I know sweet fanny adams about the 2 ltr tdi, but wife wanted an audi, I done some research and the only two things I said were proper auto and no 2 litre tdi!
She got the 3 litre tdi which also has issues, but at least the engine doesnt seem to self destruct.

Kinda put off, looking at a 2010 one now 2.0 tdi 170 with 115k on the clock. A lot of miles but hoping it would stand up to the test?

Sorry for the negatives but I'm just letting you know what's happened to mine and what I've read, there's nothing to say the 2007 plate will have issues the 2010 May be the safer bet but again I'd say do your research and make sure your happy before parting with the cash.

I see what your saying but I've had a read and the 2007 one WILL go wrong from what I've been reading, the 2010 is £1500 more with 10k more miles but in the long run i was thinking it would save me some cash when it does go bad. Not saying the 2010 is bullet proof but seems like it will be a CM engine and last longer in the long run.

The 2.0 tdi block cant be so bad. Its used in a fair few VAG model cars an vans. Fair enuff might have different oil pump but like any massed produced product u get a % of failure. The ppl that have had issues with balencer shaft might only equate to 2% of all the 2.0tdi engines and only 5-10% of a4's.

Nothing comes bullet proof... sorting and changing a couple things increase a car's life though. Mate of mine had a "bullet proof" Toyota Starlet killed by the cam belt snapping haha.

Reactions: Avnt
DJ Killed because he was to tight to change it!
Typical toyota owner:ohmy: bet he drove in lane 2 of the motorway as well.
AVNT as I said i know nowt about the 2 litre, but havent read anything about block failures just everything else!
Where did you get the % figures from?

Ruff calculation with number of cars sold

DJ Killed because he was to tight to change it!
Typical toyota owner:ohmy: bet he drove in lane 2 of the motorway as well.
AVNT as I said i know nowt about the 2 litre, but havent read anything about block failures just everything else!
Where did you get the % figures from?

To be fair before it happened I didn't even know what a cam belt was, ever since that dismal day our cars have all had them changed though.

Expensive when they go on a 5 potter

The most common thing about forums is that you "only" hear about the problems and horror stories.

sadly unless you actually ask or you do a product review you never heard the good side to them.

There are always 2 sides to a story, it totally depends on how the car was treat and is being treated, always bare that in mind.

No amount of good treatment is ever going prevent the rounding off of the 23 mm under engineered hex drive key in a balancer shaft oil pump.

Unless you change it for a longer one with a deeper sprocket.

Photo 0730 zps6c4b4a42

Attachments

• 68f7b905-a2e8-444b-ad59-a71321f001b2_zps39a00ec4.jpg
    68f7b905-a2e8-444b-ad59-a71321f001b2_zps39a00ec4.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Avnt and Macdoon
So today I've been out and got myself the 2010 one! Hopefully getting it next week as i dont want to lose out on a month of tax.

Can anyone still tell me anywhere to get these remapped? Can i just get a plug in kit or do i need it to be rolling road?

Cheers.

Im sure they have to remove the ecu and do the remap on a bench on the b8 models