Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Airbag warning light after glovebox removal!?

Hi all!

Recently had an issue with the recirc flap positioning motor behind the glovebox.

Removed the glovebox, diagnosed the faulty motor, repaired the unit and put back together.

Whilst the glovebox was removed I had the 'Passenger Airbag Off' yellow warning light flashing in the centre console and the red 'Airbag' warning light in the dash (read this is an MOT failure and if its on means all airbags are disabled?!? Eeek).

Once I had reinstalled the glovebox, reconnecting the yellow connector at the very back, the yellow light has gone out bu the red dash warning light is still on?! Is this just because it has registered a 'fault' with the airbag whilst the isolation switch was removed and just needs clearing?!

I don't have access to Vagcom etc! Anyone in Plymouth got it that could help?!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    Yep, that is all it is, its because you disconnected the airbag keyswitch. I had the same, just get someone with VCDS to clear the light.

Have a look here for someone local:
    VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the reply and the info - will have a look! Phew!

5th Gear

Status
    Always worth leaving the glovebox fully connected and just laying it down in the passengers footwell to avoid this problem.

I've done that both times I've had a problem with the heater motors and never had the airbag light come on.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

1st Gear

Status
    Mine cleared when I plugged it back in

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit craigcull's Youtube Channel
    I usually disconnect the battery for 10 mins before i do anything airbag related. Usually fine once plugged back in
    K04 hybrid turbo. S3 injectors, Autotech hpfp internals, RS4 fuel pressure regulator, custom FMIC, APR carbonio intake, decat pipe, milltek cat back non resonated 100mm tips, unicorn developments custom remap, launch control and flat shift. Valet mode, economy map and full power map options. Stage 3 southbend clutch with single mass flywheel, Eibach pro street coilovers, eibach front and rear anti roll bars, porsche cayenne 6 pot calipers front, S4 rear brake conversion.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by craigcull View Post
    I usually disconnect the battery for 10 mins before i do anything airbag related. Usually fine once plugged back in
    That's the only safe way to work on airbag related things, the glovebox isn't airbag related - but if you have the passenger airbag disable switch in the glovebox and disconnect the glovebox then it upsets the airbag ECU (the switch has redundant wires so the ECU knows if the switch is connected, whichever state the switch is in). If you've removed the glovebox to sort out/test the heater motors then you can't test them with the battery disconnected! - so you have to leave both battery AND glovebox connected to be sure of not getting an airbag error.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5