Airbag warning light after glovebox removal!?

J1 MBO

Reaction score
Hi all!

Recently had an issue with the recirc flap positioning motor behind the glovebox.

Removed the glovebox, diagnosed the faulty motor, repaired the unit and put back together.

Whilst the glovebox was removed I had the 'Passenger Airbag Off' yellow warning light flashing in the centre console and the red 'Airbag' warning light in the dash (read this is an MOT failure and if its on means all airbags are disabled?!? Eeek).

Once I had reinstalled the glovebox, reconnecting the yellow connector at the very back, the yellow light has gone out bu the red dash warning light is still on?! Is this just because it has registered a 'fault' with the airbag whilst the isolation switch was removed and just needs clearing?!

I don't have access to Vagcom etc! Anyone in Plymouth got it that could help?!

Thanks for the reply and the info - will have a look! Phew!

Always worth leaving the glovebox fully connected and just laying it down in the passengers footwell to avoid this problem.

I've done that both times I've had a problem with the heater motors and never had the airbag light come on.

Reactions: Badger-a-s
I usually disconnect the battery for 10 mins before i do anything airbag related. Usually fine once plugged back in

I usually disconnect the battery for 10 mins before i do anything airbag related. Usually fine once plugged back in
That's the only safe way to work on airbag related things, the glovebox isn't airbag related - but if you have the passenger airbag disable switch in the glovebox and disconnect the glovebox then it upsets the airbag ECU (the switch has redundant wires so the ECU knows if the switch is connected, whichever state the switch is in). If you've removed the glovebox to sort out/test the heater motors then you can't test them with the battery disconnected! - so you have to leave both battery AND glovebox connected to be sure of not getting an airbag error.

Always worth leaving the glovebox fully connected and just laying it down in the passengers footwell to avoid this problem.

I've done that both times I've had a problem with the heater motors and never had the airbag light come on.

Exactly how mine happened, repairing that effin heater motor! Was a real easy fix, half a can of WD40, although I swear I smelt an electrical burning smell this morning! Lol. Anyway, heater working but nice Airbag Warning on the dash now. You fix one thing and another pops up, like the game "Whack a mole". Rear wiper motor failed on the Thursday due to the infamous internal washer leak then the heater fan failed on the Monday.

You don't need vcds, any generic scan tool that can clear fault codes will do, I've had my glovebox out numerous times and had to clear the fault every time, its the passenger airbag switch that causes it as said above.

If you leave the ignition key out then the airbag error doesn't activate , well that's what I found on my old bus on the numerous occasions I removed the glovebox and unplugged the airbag switch.
Normally just as easy to lower the box onto the floor and leave it still connected if you need to have the ign on etc.

Reactions: Badger-a-s
Exactly how mine happened, repairing that effin heater motor! Was a real easy fix, half a can of WD40, although I swear I smelt an electrical burning smell this morning! Lol. Anyway, heater working but nice Airbag Warning on the dash now. You fix one thing and another pops up, like the game "Whack a mole". Rear wiper motor failed on the Thursday due to the infamous internal washer leak then the heater fan failed on the Monday.
What's the internal washer leak as my rear wiper is stuck in the middle of the scree how do I fix it?

What's the internal washer leak as my rear wiper is stuck in the middle of the scree how do I fix it?

If the jet gets blocked the pressure builds up and the seal fails, filling the internals with water. Open your rear hatch up and look for brown staining, like rusty water.