B7 head light modification - DRL

B7-cabrio

Reaction score
Hi All,

i'm new to this forum, and this is my first post.
i recently purchased a B6 cabrio, had a slight form ender so i got it at a decent price, as it needed many front end parts
i decided to do a B7 conversion.

whilst i had the B7 headlights i wanted to add the great Audi DRL feature. i googled / eBayed for many weeks found lots of aftermarket headlights... However i could see that these were not vey bright and cheap looking.

I decided to modify my headlights and make my own DRLs whilst retaining the OEM look. i previously purchased some RING day time running lights on a previous project and i knew these were SUPER bright, and easy to install.

here's how i got on: Apologies for the pic heavy thread.

Audi B7 DRL head light mod (click on each image to enlarge)

first let me show you the DRl's i purchased

these i bought from halfrauds, not the cheapest place but on the shelf so could pick up myself.
these lights are brilliant for two reasons. 1) there super bright, and have a dimming feature for night time
2) only 3 wires to installation, and no switches required fully automated when engines started.

now i had everything i need for the mod i began with stripping the head light. once i had them split i noticed that there was a plastic trim separate from the headlight unit and attached to the clear lens part. this was great and i decide to mount these on that part.

lights at the start:

i had already stripped them few days before to do the chrome to black mod, and remove the amber lens.

here's some pics of the process: (i used a soldering iron to melt the plastic together)

now that i had the light in place i had large gaps to fill. so i cut up some old bits of plastic i had and began making the shape

here a quick comparison with a standard light next to the one i built:

at this stage i was very pleased with how this was going.. next i needed to smooth off the new part.
and as there would be heat in the headlight i used fibreglass filler.

now the new part was all smoothed and ready for paint.
I was about to respray my car white so wanted the a black theme headlight.
but i wanted the part to look OEM, so tried to make it look as plastic as possible. for this i used texture black bumper paint.

time to rebuild the lights and test them out (here a modified next to a OEM)

here's the car just after i painted it white, first time i fitted the lights.

i'm very very pleased with the result, it makes the car look much newer. the neigbour thort the car was brand new when i brought it home ha.

heres a pic of the car out on the road - well in a field ha.

a long thread i know, sorry.. hope you found it interesting. your feedback and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:
Upload your pics to photobucket, the click on the cog in the top right of a pic, you will get a drop choice, click get links, click on the IMG code (at the bottom), it will state...copied, then paste into the thread... that's it pal

get the pics up mate.
I'm really interested to see this progress as I consider to do this mod too.

not exactly what I thought of.
I was under the impression , that we're talking abut a LED stripe.

Good effort mate looks mean.
how difficult , time consuming was this mod to be done?

I'm thinking of doing this in the future so I appreciate every thread like this one.

not exactly what I thought of.
I was under the impression , that we're talking abut a LED stripe.

Good effort mate looks mean.
how difficult , time consuming was this mod to be done?

I'm thinking of doing this in the future so I appreciate every thread like this one.

thanks, it wasnt exacty easy and straight forward. but i think the extra effort was worth it to retain the OEM look.
cant stand the cheap stick on DRL's - it was a very time consuming mod i'll admit. took a few days as its slow process melting plastic, and doing two was tough as i needed to ensure they both were symetrical.

in total the lights cost £60, paint was £10 so the total cost for this mod was only £7o. bargain for the look it achieved IMO

I would like to do something like this.
The idea is to buy some quite brigth /powerful LEDs (about 7-10 per light)
build custom stripes following the contures of the oem chrome part
And finally wire it all up + a hidden switch in the cabin (in the ashtray) to turn them on.
have a look at these pics i got from audizine , tell me what u think.

19.jpg
25.jpg
35.jpg

looks good, but shame there blue :unsure: this is what i think makes the car look cheap.

can you get white ones to do it.? if so it would look brill.

the black car looks ****
good work on the headlight mod
it takes the audi look away from the car tho

audi have there own style DRL

that looks daewoo

I understand where your coming from. More curves in most audis but there are some OEM styles very simular so don't think it cheapens it.

example:

mine vs. new TT

Not that dissimilar

i didnt say it cheapens it
just thats a TT you have b6/b7
like i said good work.