Losing coolant

Macdoon

Reaction score
This is driving me mad, trawled soooo many threads........

Losing coolant (slow loss), no external leaks (pressure test done), so obviously it's going somewhere.
Anyone else had this- my mate is thinking possible EGR cooler internal leak.

Short of waiting for it to get worse, I'm at a loss.

Still got the smoking/ rough idle issue from cold start until run up to temp.

Could u pressure the system to show any leaks?

Should really have read the pressure test done thing. 😑

read his post hes had that done

sounds like a porus head/ leaky gasket or similar, that'd cause all of your issues inc rough cold start.

Second k-seal ive used it a few times and its worked, in one case the rad is still water tight over 4 years later!

sounds like a porus head/ leaky gasket or similar, that'd cause all of your issues inc rough cold start.

Not that I know much about engines, but would this be indicated on a dye & pressure test?

Check the turbo coolant lines? My TFSI had small leaks but because of the turbo heat, it was being burnt/evaporated off leaving small residues only. Good luck with the fix!

Cheers Al, every idea and bit of info helps

Update..... looked into this issue more thoroughly, turns out that there has been a known issue with early EGR coolers, Audi have revised the cooler a couple of times. So... no obvious signs of water anywhere around the engine bay. No pool of water under car in the morning. Losing about 1 litre of coolant every 2 days. Rough idle on cold start and smoking. Took the EGR valve apart, full of sludge again, only cleaned out just over a year ago, this time tho' the soot was damp, so water must be getting through. New EGR cooler ordered, £275 grrr

Reactions: A4_MaJiK
Did the cooler replacement sort this issue? I'm getting white smoke on idle but only when engine is warm. Thinking it may be the cooler as the cooler is bypassed on cold start.

I know you said you have done a pressure test, but check the header tank cap - there's an O ring on the centre, screw in, bit which had failed on mine. Also, the tanks themselves fail - on mine, even with a new cap it still blew coolant as the hole had expanded a bit and was allowing coolant thro. £30 or so for both parts and a 10 min job to replace the tank.

Did the cooler replacement sort this issue? I'm getting white smoke on idle but only when engine is warm. Thinking it may be the cooler as the cooler is bypassed on cold start.

May be best to PM him as this thread is almost a year old and the chap has a B8 now so may not see your reply.