Mileage versus Engine work done

Molnboman

Reaction score
Probably has been done to death this one....but am bored...hahaha

Curious as to know what sort of mileage you have, versus work done over and above normal service ( belts, oil etc ). Extra points clearly go to highest miles still on original main bits without engines blowing up etc etc.

Shall I start.... my 2.0t petrol FWD, BGB Engine currently on 219,800 kms = (136018 Miles ), still on original clutch, turbo, top end etc. Changed dv, pcv, thermostat, cam follower and that's about it.

What you got?.....Make sure you comment what engine Model you have petrol, diesel engine model if known.

Cheers
A

Last edited:
b8 18T 133k
nothing done except belts tyres discs and pads

Still had original clutch at 100k, did the cambelt just to be sure at 88k, did the cam chain and tensioner at 95k as it was noisy. Coil packs at 77k, diverter at 80k. Other than tyres and brake pads, not really done much else serious in 3 years of ownership.

2005 2.0tdi ............

A/C Compressor replaced at 45,000miles
Front Discs replaced at 56,000 miles
Oil Pump /Balance Shaft/Water pump and Timing belt Kit at 68,000 miles
Turbo replaced at 88,000 miles
EGR Valve replaced at 93,00 miles
A/C Compressor replaced again at 95,000 miles
Rear Discs replaced at 98,000 miles
Original clutch and DMF still going at near the 100K mark.

This is the most expensive Audi I have ever owned and I have been driving Audi for thirty years. Its also the first and last diesel I will have.

2005 2.0tdi ............

A/C Compressor replaced at 45,000miles
Front Discs replaced at 56,000 miles
Oil Pump /Balance Shaft/Water pump and Timing belt Kit at 68,000 miles
Turbo replaced at 88,000 miles
EGR Valve replaced at 93,00 miles
A/C Compressor replaced again at 95,000 miles
Rear Discs replaced at 98,000 miles
Original clutch and DMF still going at near the 100K mark.

This is the most expensive Audi I have ever owned and I have been driving Audi for thirty years. Its also the first and last diesel I will have.

Jaysus, Paul that's a lot of bits Mate?!!.....am interested to see how the petrols compare to diesels .....clearly, there will be a few expensive reports from some am guessing.

Interesting point that I also have been through two sets of discs since May 2012 myself....

Cheers
A

Jaysus, Paul that's a lot of bits Mate?!!.....am interested to see how the petrols compare to diesels .....clearly, there will be a few expensive reports from some am guessing.

Interesting point that I also have been through two sets of discs since May 2012 myself....

Cheers
A

Petrol for me next time as well.

I have 2.0T FSI FWD. Done 38k miles. I've done routine servicing, cambelt and tyres so far. That's it.

A4 3.0TDi
  • PAS pump replaced @ ~60k miles (under warranty).
  • NSF wheel bearing replaced @ ~60k miles (under warranty).
  • NSF wheel bearing + housing replaced @ ~75k miles.

Last edited:
2007 (56) Avant 2.0T Quattro (Special Ed)

Cambelt @ 83k
PCV & Rocker Gasket @ 83k
New Coils @ 83k - never had them done under warranty!? (free 6yrs later - happy days)
New Clutch last thursday on 108k

Very reliable and a great car :)

Incredibly reliable cars (its had a few wheel bearings with the previous owner)

2007 TDI 170 Quattro.

4x Injectors + Loom
DMF + Clutch
Oilpump/Balance shaft
EGR Cooler

Pretty bad for a 64,000 mile car, all work was done by the previous owner though except the EGR cooler. To be honest it was the main reason I bought the car.

2008 B7 A4 2.0TDI 109K
DMF
Oil cooler
Expansion bottle and system flush
Cambelt
Battery
Oil level sensor
Air flow meter
Dealer serviced as per service schedules.

10k miles is about 18-20 months for me. When should you change the oil if you are doing low mileage?

Sorry, forgot to qualify that. My mileage is A road + motorway, not short journeys. I'm aware if you are doing lots of stop start then a different regime might apply.

2005 2.0tdi 92,000 miles

injector recall 30,000 miles
10k interval services
cambelt, tensioners and water pump 85,000

(Thats all the history of engine work i can find)

still running strong, touch wood no issues yet

i can see other things done but its all part numbers so not sure if anything else has been done

2005 2.0tdi 92,000 miles

injector recall 30,000 miles
10k interval services
cambelt, tensioners and water pump 85,000

(Thats all the history of engine work i can find)

still running strong, touch wood no issues yet

i can see other things done but its all part numbers so not sure if anything else has been done

Matt what engine code are you running out of curiosity?

BR
A

Sorry, forgot to qualify that. My mileage is A road + motorway, not short journeys. I'm aware if you are doing lots of stop start then a different regime might apply.

I do 30k motorway miles a yr, but service every 10k, it makes such a difference, engine is smooth and starts/runs like a dream for mileage - amazed to see that the petrols appear to be more reliable than the diesels!

Reactions: chasdrury
I do 30k motorway miles a yr, but service every 10k, it makes such a difference, engine is smooth and starts/runs like a dream for mileage - amazed to see that the petrols appear to be more reliable than the diesels!

Its really just the 2.0tdi units which are the dogs. The 1.9tdi and the 3.0 tdi units are generally GREAT engines.

2007 2.0tdi 140

serviced reguarly about every 15k
new glow plugs @ 153k
oil pump upgraded in the past
multitronic gearbox oil changed at 75k

thats all, eveything else all original and runs perfect.

10k miles is about 18-20 months for me. When should you change the oil if you are doing low mileage?

Scotty, that's a very emotive question that. If your mileage is mostly motorway, than stop start city stuff, I personally wouldn't have it in my car more than 12 months max'. I would change mine every six month max, no matter what the milage was. Now I know I will get pelters for that from other Forum Members, but I have always done this without fail on most cars I have owned with turbos, diesel and petrol. I don't use VAG long life either just the best fully synth 5 40 ( am in Sweden remember ) my garage has at the time Castrol, Mobil etc...and change the filter always.
Just can't imagine leaving oil in my engine for more than 12 months ( longlife or not )....and the cost of oil and filter change is less than a full tank of petrol. Not sure if it's psychological or not, but I always feel that car sounds and drives better with fresh juice in there.

Cheers
A

Im probably repeating myself here!, but ive always said oil cheap engines expensive.

Reactions: Molnboman
'06 A4 2.0tdi (BRE)
around 138,000 miles
Cam belt + Tensioners
Water Pump
Disks/Pads all round
Oil level Sensor
EGR Valve
Clutch switch
Tyres
Rear ashtray cover!!
Apart from a bit of a rough idle and kind of ticking noise whist idling the car runs like a dream, I love it and would never have any other car other than an audi again!
I'm considering replacing clutch and flywheel, don't really need to but I do get quite a bad judder if I really floor it in 1st. If driven 'normally' it's fine.
Totally agree with Molnboman, I regularly service the car (every 6k) changing ALL filters (Air, Fuel, Pollen, Oil) each time. Oil is the blood of the engine and the fresher/cleaner the oil, surely the better? For the price of an oil filter - £7, sump nut - £0.50, and 4L of oil - £29.99 (Castrol Edge from costco!) it's a very small price to pay to keep your engine a 'happy one'......IMO

P.S. I've never changed the power steering fluid.... Should I? and what would be the symptoms of me needing to?

Ive never really bothered to do a whole oil change on any car pas system ive owned, but if using a vac tool to do the engine oil change its just as easy to stick the nozzle in the pas reservoir and empty it, refill with fresh atf.
We change every other fluid at set intervals on the trucks but never the pas atf, but the filter is done every 2 years.
Check the cars atf spec as some motors run some funny old stuff and it may not mix with std atf

Mine- 2009 A4 B8 Avant 2.0tfsi 211hp.

43k new clutch and flywheel under warranty. Juddering when pulling away.
53k rust repairs under warranty.
65k more rust repairs under warranty.
70k complete engine rebuild due to oil consumption parts replaced big end pistons rings etc. Also water pump and cam chain changed while this was carried out. Head is original along with the turbo. Costly to me but 70% covered by audi.

Tyres brakes etc changed when required. I will run the car upto at least 100k and make a judgement on if it's worth keeping depending on further work required between now 77k and 100k. Great car slightly disappointed by big repairs encountered. Would like to say audi dealer has been fairly good with warranty issues when in and out of warranty.

Right, not all engine related.
2005 3.2fsi 97k had 2.5 years:
Oil every 6 months
2 sets of spark plugs
2 sets of tyres
Front and rear discs and pads
Brake hoses
Both top chain tensioners
Battery
Cam adjustment valve
Aux. belt
Electric fan
DMF and clutch
Clutch switch
Thermostat
Temp sensor
2 Coolant
2 gearbox pinion bearings replaced along with gearbox seals
2 gearbox oil
Rear diff oil
MAP sensor
Coil packs
Oil pump
Driver adaptive xenon
Both xenon bulbs
Intakes removed and valves decarboned (gaskets and seals replaced)

Right, not all engine related.
2005 3.2fsi 97k had 2.5 years:
Oil every 6 months
2 sets of spark plugs
2 sets of tyres
Front and rear discs and pads
Brake hoses
Both top chain tensioners
Battery
Cam adjustment valve
Aux. belt
Electric fan
DMF and clutch
Clutch switch
Thermostat
Temp sensor
2 Coolant
2 gearbox pinion bearings replaced along with gearbox seals
2 gearbox oil
Rear diff oil
MAP sensor
Coil packs
Oil pump
Driver adaptive xenon
Both xenon bulbs
Intakes removed and valves decarboned (gaskets and seals replaced)

If that had been a horse I would have shot it !