Now I'm confused, car broken into and Audi seem to have fitted a different Nav

Bald man

Reaction score
I had my car broken into and they attempted to steal the Nav. Damaged it beyond repair.

Car is a 2008 with RNS E

Been to Audi for repair and they have fitted a different system, it now has a MEDIA button as the second button in that used to say CD TV. Also comes up MMI when I switch it on. Still has two SD slots and takes the Nav disk in the head unit though. Still states Audi navigation Plus on the head unit though.

Any idea what this is and what the difference is ?

TA

Been to Audi for repair and they have fitted a different system, it now has a MEDIA button as the second button in that used to say CD TV. Also comes up MMI when I switch it on. Still has two SD slots and takes the Nav disk in the head unit though. Still states Audi navigation Plus on the head unit though.

Any idea what this is and what the difference is ?
You lucky boy! They've given you the updated RNS-E (known as the 2010+ RNS-E)with a higher resolution screen and that accepts SDHC cards (up to 32GB each).

I see, I want the Bluetooth telephone thingy fitted so that I can connect iphone and stream music

Amazed! Never heard this before. Wonder if Audi sourced a faceplate or got a retrofitter in to do it.

No all new
The new 2010+ RNS-E was never made as an Audi version for the A4, only a Seat version for the Exeo.

If the faceplate still says Audi on it then they've probably swapped your old faceplate onto a new (non-A4) unit, if it doesn't still say Audi then you've got a new Seat Exeo unit.

Easiest way to tell is to see what VCDS shows the part number as - if it shows 3R0 nnn nnn then it's a Seat unit if it sahows anything else then it's an Audi unit with an A4 faceplate fitted.

When I turn it on now it says MMI on the screen, not possible to change just face plate unit was ****ed by guy trying to get it out. Also over being used for 5 years the SD slots had wear marks wear I had used it. This is a new unit.

yeah mine does as well.. thats just what the Mk2 shows.. though I would be interested in how they fitted it.. as for my mk2 I had to get the faceplate transfered from the Mk1..

When I turn it on now it says MMI on the screen, not possible to change just face plate unit was ****ed by guy trying to get it out. Also over being used for 5 years the SD slots had wear marks wear I had used it. This is a new unit.
I never suggested it wasn't a new unit, just saying that there are two ways to fit a 2010+ RNS-E to an A4 - faceplate swap onto a 2010+ RNS-E from an A3 or a TT, or fit a Seat Exeo unit.

I tried to upload a picture it now says Audi MMI when I turn car on !!
That's always been the default startup screen for all versions of the RNS-E. The 2010+ RNS-E cannot display the A4 (or S4 or RS4) startup screen as Audi left that option out of the 2010+ firmware - as it was never going to be factory fitted to an A4.

It is possible Audi can source B7 faceplates but I'd find this hard to believe as they are like gold-dust on ebay. Think I paid around 70 quid for mine and that was cheap!

You would be stunned if you knew all the tricks the dealers do, they may have charged the insurance company over 2K for it but I bet a 3rd party installed it, and for a lot less than 2K.

I went on a drive to beach today with family, it is very different to my old nav, crisper screen and at junctions it brings up a separate box showing road layout etcetera. What ever it is, I like it

They are superior to the older model. Only thing that lets it down is it's post code search.

What ever it is
I think we've answered that MANY times over, it's a 2010+ RNS-E fitted with an A4 faceplate.

Which is exactly what I have in my B7 - see signature below.
Mine's an A3 2010+ RNS-E fitted with an A4 faceplate, and I've swapped the (useless?) glovebox CD changer to an AMI which I've fitted with a 250GB hard drive so I have all my music all the time in the car.

Only thing that lets it down is it's post code search.
+1

It's really ridiculous that Audi haven't sorted this out - doubt they will now with the only 2 models still using the RNS-E (R8 and TT) being replaced soon.

Reactions: Wrath
I never suggested it wasn't a new unit, just saying that there are two ways to fit a 2010+ RNS-E to an A4 - faceplate swap onto a 2010+ RNS-E from an A3 or a TT, or fit a Seat Exeo unit.

That's always been the default startup screen for all versions of the RNS-E. The 2010+ RNS-E cannot display the A4 (or S4 or RS4) startup screen as Audi left that option out of the 2010+ firmware - as it was never going to be factory fitted to an A4.

Dunno how much of the above is BS but I know I have a RNS-E Mk2 with an 8E0 part number and a manufacture date or march 2013 printed on the label on the unit, make of that what you will.

Dunno how much of the above is BS but I know I have a RNS-E Mk2 with an 8E0 part number and a manufacture date or march 2013 printed on the label on the unit, make of that what you will.
Well, since I've been working with the RNS-E since 2005 as a Moderator on audiforum.us and have retrofitted several dozen RNS-E's I think it's fair to say that I have more knowledge about the RNS-E than most people, so I feel somewhat insulted that you should use the phrase BS.

You say you have a "Mk2" RNS-E with an 8E0 part number with a 2013 manufacture date - IF it's an 8E0 suffix with a 2013 date then I suspect it may be a re-manufactured unit.

The original RNS-E's all have a part number of the form nxn 035 192 xx, the 2010+ versions all have a part number of the form nxn 035 193 xx - so it's very easy to tell if you have a pre-2010 (Mk1) or 2010+ (Mk2) RNS-E from the part number.

So please would you share the complete part number (including ALL suffix letters) as read by VCDS (VAG-COM) - then we'll all be able to compare what you have with the list of known A4 RNS-E part numbers on audiforum.us http://audiforum.us/threads/audi-a4-s4-rs4-8e-b6-b7-part-numbers.6851/

Well, since I've been working with the RNS-E since 2005 as a Moderator on audiforum.us and have retrofitted several dozen RNS-E's I think it's fair to say that I have more knowledge about the RNS-E than most people, so I feel somewhat insulted that you should use the phrase BS.

You say you have a "Mk2" RNS-E with an 8E0 part number with a 2013 manufacture date - IF it's an 8E0 suffix with a 2013 date then I suspect it may be a re-manufactured unit.

The original RNS-E's all have a part number of the form nxn 035 192 xx, the 2010+ versions all have a part number of the form nxn 035 193 xx - so it's very easy to tell if you have a pre-2010 (Mk1) or 2010+ (Mk2) RNS-E from the part number.

So please would you share the complete part number (including ALL suffix letters) as read by VCDS (VAG-COM) - then we'll all be able to compare what you have with the list of known A4 RNS-E part numbers on audiforum.us Audi A4 / S4 / RS4 [8E/B6/B7] - part numbers | Audi Forum

Alright Dave keep your wig on, it's only a third rate navigation unit!

Address 37: Navigation Labels: None
Part No SW: 8E0 035 193 A HW: 8E0 035 193 A
Component: RNS-E PU EU SP H06 0700
Revision: 0000001S Serial number: ***************
Coding: 0309715
Shop #: WSC 34562 000 10485
VCID: ********************
No fault code found.

Could be remanufactured as you say, however was fitted by a main dealer as a warranty replacement only a few months ago.

Reactions: S4P4UL
Audi are fitting them. That's two fitted that we know of this year. Could well be remanufactured units by they are series two and Audi are fitting them !

I'm sure Dave will jump in here but I believe there was one 193 model fitted to the B7 before the B7 ended. I didn't think it was a 2010 unit though, just the last incarnation of the MkI. Does your unit accept SD HC cards?

Last edited:
Audi are fitting them. That's two fitted that we know of this year. Could well be remanufactured units by they are series two and Audi are fitting them !

As B5Nut said, dealers do sometimes use retrofitters so would be reasonable to assume they have contracted out and got a retrofitter to sort it.

Someone please steal my headunit.

Reactions: sammi, Wrath, A4_MaJiK and 1 other person
I'm sure Dave will jump in here but I believe there was on 193 model fitted to the B7 before the B7 ended. I didn't think it was a 2010 unit though, just the last incarnation of the MkI. Does your unit accept SD HC cards?

It's a Mk2 for sure, I had the Mk1 in my 8P A3.

The screen on this one is much higher res. and yes I'm using two 32Gb cards.

Same as, it's a totally different screen, other thing I noticed is before when on shuffle the head unit would scroll through songs taking for ever. It would play it quick but be scrolling from top to bottom for ages. This seems a virtually instantaneous scroll.

The Nav is on a different league, resolution wise.

The media button gives me options if SD changer in a different format.

SD cards gives me playlist option. !

Whatever it is it superb

Component: RNS-E PU EU SP H06 0700

Could be remanufactured as you say, however was fitted by a main dealer as a warranty replacement only a few months ago.
Remanufactured units usually have an X suffix, so I don't think it's remanufactured.

Looks like you have one of the very rare (these are the first I've heard reported "in the wild", previously it's just been known as a part number on ETKA) 8E0 2010+ units - it's definitely one of them as its component is shown as "RNS-E PU".

The SW version puzzles me though, it's shown as "0700" but the last known SW for the 192 units is 0650 and the highest SW for the 193 units is only 0210 - so that's a bit of a puzzle?