2.0 TDi EGR Block Problems

pistonripper

Reaction score
Evening All,

I've had fuel consumption and power problems (which I never knew I had, until a friend drove my car) ever since I've had the car (over 15 months)...so in trying to find out what is wrong, I blocked the EGR valve today with a metal plate...now there is no power whatsoever for 99% of the time, complete nail...I restarted the car and it went like a rocket..WOW..then died again...will struggle above 2000rpm like its hit a rev limiter. Power will sometimes comeback momentarily....and it comes back strong...just pees me off to experience what I have been missing !! Anybody know what this is pinpointing to ? Oh no error codes when scanned. The reason I blocked the EGR in the first place was the car had no low down power and was smoking under acceleration, crap consumption...I mean really crap and warm start - takes minimum of 5 turns before it fires - cold start is fine.

Last edited:
Have you changed fuel filter? Start with the basics first if theys no error codes. Did full service on mine a few weeks back and blanked my egr off as well. I noticed a difference as soon as id changed the fuel filter started nicer drove smoother. I also ran a liquid moly diesel purge as well which made a difference

Turbo's starting to die?... not much knowledge on the situation but this is what a garage said about mine which suffers from similar symptoms.

Ok, going to get the turbo checked, if spindle has no play, then I will get it stripped and cleaned.

but why is there no power above approx 2000rpm. With the car normal (EGR NORMAL - unblocked) there is decent power above 2000rpm.

Last edited:
Ok my EGR is still blocked off with a plate...but now I have disconnected my MAF...now the power is ALL back ALL the time...its never been this responsive ever....it pulls stong from approx 1400rpm all the way through the rev range.

This has me baffled now. Is it theturbo vanes...EGR or MAF ?

If the egr ain't been mapped I'm sure you will get limp mode which sounds like what your getting

Correct fossie I had exact same with mine, blanked the egr and no power above 2000 revs, had it mapped out and solved the problem.

Ok my EGR is still blocked off with a plate...but now I have disconnected my MAF...now the power is ALL back ALL the time...its never been this responsive ever....it pulls stong from approx 1400rpm all the way through the rev range.

def not the turbo if your back to max power def egr. Have it mapped out never worry about it again

Thanks...took blanking plate off.....if I disconnect MAF, the engine is more responsive and generally car drives better. S%@t fuel consumption either way though :tocktock:

If when you disconnect the MAF sensor it seems to run better, then the MAF is faulty.