Dreaded Low Oil Pressure Warning Petrol Engine (The Red Oil Can)

Giosabcsl

Reaction score
Hey all,

I will apologise in advance this is a bit of an essay. But it should at least cover all grounds on anyone that has experienced the same issue.

So I know I have read many many posts from various forums about this topic.

I decided to make an official post and see what other owners thoughts are.

So I was out about 2 weeks ago in my Audi 06 - A4 B7 2.0 TFSI quattro "BUL engine code". 89000 miles

When I was about less than half a mile from my house, on the last stretch I accelerated mildly towards 4000 rpm when I heard the chime go off on the dash showing the Red Oil pressure warning. Well my initial reaction was O sheet what to do now. From past experiences with Audi I am aware that Red means STOP immediately, then suddenly the warning decided to turn off. So unfortunately I couldn't stop at this point so I slowed down and drove the last few 100 metres towards home then again I accelerated slowly towards roughly 2000 rpm then it chimed again at this point I managed to get into my estate stopped the car and turned if off.

Now I know most of you will be thinking by now that the engine is stuffed and this and that. Well this is the thing I checked the oil as everyone would and look around for any signs of leaks or unusual smells etc. In this case there weren't any.

So I decided to drive the car home as I was less than 50 metres away. I then started the car and it sounded perfectly normal so coasted off in first gear to my house turned her off and that was that for me.

I realised at this point its either going to be something very expensive or fingers crossed a cheap fix. So thanks to oletheb to the rescue borrowed his Vag Com and scanned the vehicle now the first surprising thing was there was zero faults besides one or two things related to the alarm. But nothing related to the issue that was displayed now again I understand that VagCom isn't a mechanic it will just help display faults that are picked up by sensors.

So getting on with the story about a week later I decided to start the car up and take it for a drive and see what the result is. Now this is the shocking result which I am sure if you are still reading, is the exact opposite of what normally happens at this point. The car started better than ever and drove perfectly fine. I slowly got the car up to temp as I always have done and drove round and round the block a few times got the temp up to 90 and slowly started feeding in the power and she gladly would rev to 6000rpm were it be 1st,2nd,3rd with out any oil pressure warnings. So again the following day tried the same thing but no heavy rpm just driving normal and it was fine.

Now I have been away on business recently and returned home about 2 days ago. So I am sort of in a predicament at the moment do I continue driving the vehicle or do I worry about getting something done. Logically yes it happened for a reason just a question of what or were to look.

From my point of view for piece of mind I have replaced the oil pressure sensor/sendor that usually is renowned for giving issues. And will be changing the oil filter and oil on thursday. I know some would suggest getting the sump pick up checked/cleaned but the issue is if the vehicle is driving like normal is there any real point?

Off the record a friend of mine has a Golf 6 GTI and recently had the same warning and it turned out to the be the oil filter was blocked/broken, I cant tell the condition of mine till I replace it but just adding this for food for thought.

There is one thing I did forget to mention in this story is that prior to going out on the day I initially got the error I checked the oil before leaving that day and realised it was on about 3/4 so I added a few ml of oil but being in a rush I know for sure I over filled it by mistake as I dont know if its just me but my dipstick is weird because if you take a oil reading it will say for example "read half on the dipstick but if you turn the dipstick around while still looking at it, it will show less than half I dont know if it is just the way the dipstick is located or the angle it is but this was the issue because the one side showed I was dead on the money when I topped it up and on the other end it was about showing over the full mark so not sure what that is all about.

So if anyone has any thoughts or possible suggestions or had a similar experience if you could let me know.

I would gladly appreciate it.

Thanks
Gio

If it's a Red warning light and you have run the engine you will at the very least have damaged the big ends and cut short the life of the turbo.
Get the oil pump investigated and get it sorted. DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE or you may be seeking a new engine and turbo period !

Iv just had this pop up as i went round a hard corner. I drove it for another 2 mins to destination.

Now like the OP as i started the car back up after a short stand and me checking the oil cap, the warning was nowhere to be seen.
I went to the petrol station on the 12 mile trip home and gave it a little batter, no warning light at all?

Maybe it was just an error in the system? and everything is fine, or is there something to look out for?
i will be getting vagcom in the new year but dont have access atm.

It will come back, normally after a decent run, then engine drops to idle for a minute or so, ie low rpms+hot oil=low pressure.
Get the pressure checked, cheaper than scrapping the engine.

I had this, first time it was a blocked pickup/strainer which was replaced with a revised version which is less prone to clogging.

Had it again a year later and that time the oil pump had disintegrated. New oil pump was beaucoup dollars.

The former is much more likely though, especially if the engine sounds normal.

Blocked oil strainer has got to be a proper rare thing, in fact in can only think of one instance in the last 25 years and that was because some twonk had used oodles of silicone rebuilding a motor, the excess oozed out and blocked the strainer, that blew the motor.