Car just died

Ant600

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just started my a4 2.0tdi 170 and drove half a mile up the road and it cut out while driving and now won't start any ideas?

No warning lights on the dash?

Recently filled up and accidentally put petrol in it?

Scanning it with vcds would help diagnose.

Rac have just towed me home I've recently had a cambelt done in the last week he said it could have slipped and the timing is well out? Is anyone local to bromley who can plug the car in ill pay for it. I'm gutted at the moment :(

Rac have just towed me home I've recently had a cambelt done in the last week he said it could have slipped and the timing is well out? Is anyone local to bromley who can plug the car in ill pay for it. I'm gutted at the moment :(

I hope for your wallets sake that it's not your cambelt Matey.

Good Luck
A

Power to fuel pump?

Took the cambelt cover off and the tensioner has fallen out and the cambelt is loose. So that's the engine knackered!!! The guy who fitted it is coming over to strip it apart tomorro so ill keep you posted but I'm guessing its gonna be easier to get a recon engine now

S**t mate thats bad luck

Ouch, hope they reimburse and give payment towards a new engine, nice excuse to pick up a 4.2tdi from an A8 or something along those lines :drool:.

EDIT: Also please name and shame the garage so nobody encounters the same problem on here.

Reactions: Macdoon
Took the cambelt cover off and the tensioner has fallen out and the cambelt is loose. So that's the engine knackered!!! The guy who fitted it is coming over to strip it apart tomorro so ill keep you posted but I'm guessing its gonna be easier to get a recon engine now

Really sorry to hear that; about the worst news you could have got. Has the person who did the work accepted liability or is he expecting you to pay all over again?

may sound daft but did you have a full kit fitted or just the belt

Ouch, hope they reimburse and give payment towards a new engine, nice excuse to pick up a 4.2tdi from an A8 or something along those lines :drool:.

EDIT: Also please name and shame the garage so nobody encounters the same problem on here.

why name and shame now ?
it could be a genuine mistake snapped bolt defective part ect

Did he fit a complete Cambelt\Tensioner kit or is he going to blame you for not supplying one?

Edit: Ooops! Sorry Bez. should have refreshed before posting.

why name and shame now ?
it could be a genuine mistake snapped bolt defective part ect
When garages/people make mistakes or sell defective parts be it on there head... they will claim it to be an unrelated issue however replacement cambelt horror story's are common.

most garages get parts in so if defective how do they tell before they fail ?
its always worth geting the facts correct from OP before nameing and shameing
for all we know he may have supplied the parts
or only had the belt fitted then the fault would be at his fdoor not the garage

Reactions: NHN
The guy who fitted it is coming over to strip it apart tomorro

just this point leads me to think

what garage would come over and strip the car no mention of tow to garage to sort it
thats why its unfair to shame till all facts from OP are in

Reactions: NHN
He's a friend who works for a main dealer he supplied the parts all genuine and a full kit . He's gona check if the parts faulty and try and get some compo from the supplier . I paid him to do the job so I don't want to have to foot the bill. Ill keep you posted what happens I'm just gutted at the moment :(

He's just looked at the car and the tensioner bolt had sheared off snapped lean in half

did he use a new bolt?
audi recommend changing the tensioner bolt when changing cambelt, there are a couple of people on here who had the same thing happen, i know its not much use to you now but maybe other people will see this and make sure the tensioner bolt is changed as well.
hope the car is repairable.

Reactions: DieselJake
Hi mate he didn't use a new bolt no he's taken the car to get the bolt out and check what damage is done but is going to repair whatever needs doing so I can't argue with that just hope it's not a major !

Reactions: Artimus
For it to snap he must have done something wrong tbh, maybe over torqued as realistically some of these bolts if fitted properly from day one, are reusable as they're hard as hell in certain areas, however if all these parts are out, for the sake of the small costs, preventative measures are taken as in replace for new to save fitting a new one later.

What really concerns me is, if he works for a main dealer then that would be considered a serious lack of judgement, he should know better & follow his training which I know from the guys I am friends with, means he should of changed all bolts out, its a really bad decision & expensive for him.

Reactions: DieselJake
Hope you get this sorted dude, keep us posted

Hi everyone quick update I e taken the car to my friends garage who I should have gone in the first place he said he rocker rollers are busted and some valves are bent he has advised a recon head as it is quite bad . The other guy is going to pay for it to be fixed and I've been advised to get the oil pump and filter housing replaced while its in bits for peace of mind for the future as the cats done 110k ill be paying for the extra bits I've been given a price and it seems fair .

Funny my tdi 170 just had the same Issue again a friend works for a main dealer did the work for me wonder if it's a dodgy parts batch as my bolt was replaced for a new one

Cars finally back it's had a brand new head with cams etc new oil filter housing new gaskets every fluid replaced new cambelt kit ill give the exact details and price when I get the bill printed up . He's done a great job . I'm well happy !

Reactions: jdp1962

Got mine back Wednesday but not so happy the car runs rough and seems to be drinking fuel like water taking it back tomorrow and see what they are going to do about it.

What did you have done mate? I know my egr valve was really clogged he cleaned it up for me before refitting it hopefully that's all that's making yours run rough

Mine had the engine striped cleaned including the egr valve I had the crank replaced.the valves rollers replaced new turbo new timing belt kit oil pump reconditioned basically a new engine but they said at first it was remap causing issues I have had this ruled out by my remaper he tested the car yesterday it something mechanical I heard the timing might be slightly out it can happen but hope to get resolved tomorrow.

Yeah bad timing makes them run real bad and an smoke a lot too.hope it gets sorted mate I know the feeling I've been there !