JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul B7
  • 1 Post By jdp1962

Thread: Dreaded oil light came on today

Reverse Gear

Status

Dreaded oil light came on today

I have a 2.0 TDi A4 Avant Quattro, which I have had for almost 4 weeks now, this week the car has had a low droaning noise whilst driving, when I depressed the clutch there was no change to the sound. So on the way home today I get an audible alarm and the Oil Min Warning light on the dash. I immediately pulled into the inside lane and slowed down to 50 in 6th gear where I stayed for approx. 15miles until I reached oxford services on the M40. RAC man has taken car to the garage where I bought the car. Luckily I took out a 3 year warranty when I bought the car so the work is going to be covered. Does anybody think I have done any more damage than just the oil pump, there was no fault codes and the car was still driving ok.

Thanks for any advice you can give

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Damn that as lucky huh, warranty side of things, but driving on maybe wasn't a good idea, lets hope nothing else is buggered, but as you ay covered anyway.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    You say oil min light which is orange and nothing to worry about. Oil pressure warning is red and a lot to worry about. Two very different things. I hope for you sakes its not the later.
    Audi A4 2lt 170 TDI Quattro s-line, B7, BRD engine code. Mods so far; cruise control, DPF delete, EGR delete, unicorn remap, B5 perches, RS4 rear arb, RNSE with SDS, 2013 maps with speed cams, aux in, powermax remanufactured balancer, Sachs SRE organic clutch and pressure plate with LUK flywheel. Mods to do; s4 break upgrade, glove box fridge perhaps...

Reverse Gear

Status
    I checked the oil level and it seemed fine, so why else would the oil min light come on? well at least its gone in to the garage and they can check it over.

1st Gear

Status
    Faulty sensor maybe. My oil light min, (an orange light) comes on every 1500 miles and I put 300 ml oil and it goes out until next time. Dip stick is a bugger to read. Like I said oil pressure light is red and is the One to worry about. If u are unsure what this symbol looks like it appears when u press the check button on dis and it cycles through the checks oil pressure being one of them. Anyway it is in the best place now. Fingers crossed for u mate.
    Audi A4 2lt 170 TDI Quattro s-line, B7, BRD engine code. Mods so far; cruise control, DPF delete, EGR delete, unicorn remap, B5 perches, RS4 rear arb, RNSE with SDS, 2013 maps with speed cams, aux in, powermax remanufactured balancer, Sachs SRE organic clutch and pressure plate with LUK flywheel. Mods to do; s4 break upgrade, glove box fridge perhaps...

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    yep as above oil min orange is nothing to worry about

its the red low preasure that ****s the engine

6th Gear

Status
    As above put a 200 -300ml of oil in and see if the light goes out, the dipstick design on the B7 is a truly awful design and very difficult to read. I would go back to the garage put a bit of oil in the the light goes out drive it way, the B7 uses oil so it's normal to have to top it up every 1000 mile or so.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for all the advice, the garage have it at the moment and they wont be looking at it until Monday, I suspect that you are right about the oil level as I have done about 1600 miles in the past 4 weeks. however as the car is under warranty I am hoping they will do the oil pump anyway so I will not have to worry about it any more. I know the probably wont do it but I can hope. I'm just paranoid that the oil pump balancer shaft has worn due to me reading all the posts on these forums.
    The only thing that is worrying me is the noise I have had for the past week, like a low droaning noise while i'm moving but its still there when I depress the clutch, so its probably not engine related.
    thanks again

6th Gear

Status
    It's unlikely that the garage will replace an oil pump due to low oil level, and I'm stunned the RAC did not add some oil to the engine and see if the light went out, before they towed the car I could understand if there was oil all over and dripping off the the undertray on to the road and an no oil in the engine.

Also if it was a failed pump, that 15mile @ 50MPH journey would have killed the engine within the first mile.

3rd Gear

Status
    RED is DEAD ................

Amber is just a warning as the previous posts have said.
    As a side but linked issued my own BLB was purchased with 40k on the clock and needed topping up with 1L of oil typically every 3-4000 miles. My car is now getting on for nearly 100K and NEVER needs topping up between the 10,000 mile service intervals I am now on.

Good luck with your car.

Paul B
    sidibear likes this.

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    Mine also used to need a lot more oil than it does now. These engines use less oil the more mileage they do.

Mine is on 108k and doesn't need a oil top up between services.

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

Reverse Gear

Status
    I think i'm going to be looking V.Silly next week, i'm new to audi's and diesels and have read too many horror stories and my brain just saw an oil light and has probably jumped to the wrong conclusion. but as I have said it's in the garage now and if they find anything wrong with it they will fix under warranty. I am back in my old car (MG ZS 180) for this week as I am working 140 miles away from home.

1st Gear

Status
    my oil min warning comes on about every 200 miles. It's a faulty sensor which I'll replace when I change the oil. To reset it just open up the bonnet and close again.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by biggav1 View Post
    I think i'm going to be looking V.Silly next week, i'm new to audi's and diesels and have read too many horror stories and my brain just saw an oil light and has probably jumped to the wrong conclusion. but as I have said it's in the garage now and if they find anything wrong with it they will fix under warranty. I am back in my old car (MG ZS 180) for this week as I am working 140 miles away from home.
    i really wouldn't worry about feeling silly if it turns out your oil pump hasn't died.
    NHN likes this.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    i really wouldn't worry about feeling silly if it turns out your oil pump hasn't died.
    Better to look silly & paranoid about this engine, than not IMHO

Reverse Gear

Status
    Turns out that my oil pump was very worn, I still do not have my car back as the garage were having problems getting some parts, should have it back Saturday with a modified oil pump. All work and parts covered under warranty. can't wait to get it back quite fed up of driving my MG ZS on long motorway journeys.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    As I said, very lucky

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add GeoffDunk on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by mm707 View Post
    my oil min warning comes on about every 200 miles. It's a faulty sensor which I'll replace when I change the oil. To reset it just open up the bonnet and close again.
    My S4 does use oil and does need at top up between services but I only ever see the yellow min oil warning and its nothing to worry about.

I replaced oil pressue sensor and the amount of warnings reduced, now need to check the bonnet sensor which is fitted to VAG cars as that may effect things. i had a golf which never used oil and was always poping up with min oil level warnigns, repalced the pressure sensor no effect. it turned out to be a faulty bonnet sensor. VAG fit the sensor to make sure that at least the bonnet is opend for a manual check of the oil level even though the oil level may be good. Light may not go out unless bonnet is opened, cunning lol.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.