A4 Avant Curtain Airbag Replacement Advice

BroomeyS3

Reaction score
Looking for some advice about replacing a drivers side curtain airbag on my 2007 A4 Avant 2.0 tdi.

The wiring loom to the airbag module was damaged by a small fire setting the drivers curtain airbag off, I have fully repaired the wiring loom/fire damage and fitted a replacement airbag but haven't connected the wiring yet.

I'm worried about triggering the airbag again so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be a great help.

I have a replacement airbag module from a non damaged vehicle if mine is ******. Do I need to replace the side impact sensor?

Do I reset the module before connecting the new airbag?

Thanks.

I would check for fault codes before connecting the airbag if only one shows up relating to missing airbag then I would think your Ok to plug it in. However I would connect it up with the battery disconnected, also leave the car for 20min so any capacitors drain down. Once both the airbag & battery are reconnect switch on the ignition and check for fault codes and clear any if possible, if they don't clear then you may have to plug in the other module.

Can I ask how the fire started?

If the airbags been triggered, then high percentage chance the airbag module needs either replacing or crash data clearing.

The fire was caused by the gear selector aluminum heat shield falling onto the exhaust down pipe and this caused the already degraded gearbox tunnel heat shield/insulation to set on fire. The reason the airbag went off was because the wiring to the module was damaged by the heat. I have fully repaired the wiring loom and fitted the curtain airbag without any problems and cleared the fault codes. The problem I have now is the passenger airbag saying it's turned off when the switch is in the on position.

see fault codes:

2756 - Redundant signal path of Airbag cut-off switch - front passenger side (E224)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2064.00.00
Time: 00:00:00

01228 - Airbag Cut-Off Switch for Passenger Side (E224)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10101010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2064.00.00
Time: 00:00:00

Could it be the switch?