3.0TDI Glow Plug Errors

MattUK

Reaction score
Afternoon...

Well NHN popped by this morning and fitted the cruise control to my A4.. during the scan up popped glow plug errors for all 6 plugs..
The car is working fine.. I have had no issues starting it.. nor any lose of power whilst driving. As nigel mentioned having 6 faulty all at once seems unlikely.

But I post below the snippet from the VCDS scan.. anyone have any ideas - could it be the wiring loom ? Any idea on the sort of price it maybe to get this fixed...

The car has done just over 70000m - (2005 model) - but I do not know of any of the glow plugs have been replaced in the past.

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No SW: 8E0 910 401 F HW: 8E0 907 401 AJ
Component: 3.0L V6TDI G001AG 0050
Revision: --H01--- Serial number:
Coding: 0011171
Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000
VCID: 224D899DFD24650EA27-8077

6 Faults Found:
005658 - Glowplug for Cylinder 1 (Q10)
P161A - 001 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 840 /min
Torque: 85.8 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Duty Cycle: 1.0 %
Voltage: 14.44 V
Duty Cycle: 24.5 %
Temperature: 23.4°C

005659 - Glowplug for Cylinder 2 (Q11)
P161B - 001 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

005660 - Glowplug for Cylinder 3 (Q12)
P161C - 001 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

005661 - Glowplug for Cylinder 4 (Q13)
P161D - 001 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

005662 - Glowplug for Cylinder 5 (Q15)
P161E - 001 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

005663 - Glowplug for Cylinder 6 (Q15)
P161F - 001 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

cheers

Matt

Reactions: NHN
They could be dead. Take each one out and test them with a multimeter. I had three dead ones on my car last year

I recently replaced all six of mine on my cab, 1 had already failed when I bought it, then over the next 4 months another 3 had failed in quite quick succession. I posted it on here and the loom failing was suggested as cause for multiple glow plug failure, but after investigation I found that there was no separate glow plug loom, and the complete engine loom would have to be replaced at nearly £1000 for the new loom. I took a punt and just replaced all six glow plugs, and I have not had any codes brought up since, first glow plug failed at circa 77k miles whilst four had gone by 83k miles.
It could be a control unit of some sort that is U/S but I would of thought this would bring up another DTC on VCDS.
I would be inclined to replace all six glow plugs, but you could just try replacing one and getting it scanned again and seeing if this sorts one of the glow plug faults.
I

Last edited:
Look at the Fault Frequency on all plugs it only happened once, also the freeze frame is identical on all plugs, so the hole glow plug system failed. I would start by looking at the plug where the glow plug wiring harness connects to either the main harness or the ECU, you may need to clean up the connectors or just re-seating can help with these type of errors.

Errors have been cleared number of times, come back immediately & previously it wasn't all 6, so now I'm thinking atm its potentially few issues, maybe 1 plug is down & also fuse or the relay control unit that's at fault, as all 6 going at same time is remote, not impossible, but not my 1st pick, also fuse & relay are easier to test :)

Thanks all.. I will update once I have any progress to report (once it stops raining :) )

I recently replaced all six of mine on my cab, 1 had already failed when I bought it, then over the next 4 months another 3 had failed in quite quick succession. I posted it on here and the loom failing was suggested as cause for multiple glow plug failure, but after investigation I found that there was no separate glow plug loom, and the complete engine loom would have to be replaced at nearly £1000 for the new loom. I took a punt and just replaced all six glow plugs, and I have not had any codes brought up since, first glow plug failed at circa 77k miles whilst four had gone by 83k miles.
It could be a control unit of some sort that is U/S but I would of thought this would bring up another DTC on VCDS.
I would be inclined to replace all six glow plugs, but you could just try replacing one and getting it scanned again and seeing if this sorts one of the glow plug faults.
I

Andy what make were the ones that failed in quick succession? and what are the make of the replacement ones?
Ive got to do wifes and dont fancy doing them more than once!

Lynall

I had read some horror stories regarding putting the wrong glow plugs in the car as the 3.0/2.7 could of had metal or ceramic and Bosch or Beru, together with the fact that putting the wrong ones in can cause issues with the ECU/control unit, and the ceramic ones can shatter upon installation/removal involving cylinder head removal I bought gen from Audi IIRC £14ea. They were Beru metal in my car, which is a B7 A4 Cab March 2006, with the ASB engine.
If I knew what I know I would of bought them from ECP as I have a 25-30% discount code (providing their not running any other offers) if you would like this code PM me.
I am 99% sure mine had never been replaced before as the car has Full main dealer history with a great wedge of receipts and there is nothing to show they have been. What seemed strange to was the fact that they were failing in order, first one to fail being number one, then two three and finally four in my case.
It might be worth just replacing one of them to see if it clears its fault before replacing all of them as I mentioned in my first post.

Well it may well all be sorted.. All glowplugs replaced after checking both the relay and the fuse by the ECU.. but as soon as the plugs were changed the errors were gone. Some fun and games around the part numbers for the glowplugs as they seem to have been superceded at Audi..

All taken care of by NHN.. I just supplied lots of Tea.... damn its a fiddly job not helped by the 3L TDI having to have tons of pipes to navigate!

More details tomorrow once everything is complete..

An update as some time has now passed... no more errors on VCDS, car runs like a dream... Also on the same day I had 2 parking sensor fitted by Nigel, and as usual it had to be one in the back and one on the front just to make it more complicated.

All fitted (and painted) - error codes gone.. but the rear sensors were still misbehaving. The onset of the evening (plus my eagerness to get the steering wheel fitted) meant the investigation was carried over until today.

Lucky for me Nigel is one county along from me further investigation was completed today - though there were no errors, once he changed out the odd behaving sensor (it would register either 250mm or 1mm and nothing inbetween) the single beep was finally gotten rid of. Clearly the sensor was dieing but had not got to the point where a fault was being picked up.

At least it was not the wiring :) - whilst Nigel was there a few other small jobs got sorted, small tear in the doorcard, bit of rust we treated and then repainted in the engine bay, Bit of window trim which had come loose.. so all in all a very productive morning - and as usual I assisted with cups of tea and a bacon/egg toastie.

Much obliged to NHN for all the work... hopefully now the only money I will spend on the car is putting diesel in it :)

Cheers

Matt

Sorry for delay in response Matt.

As always a perfect gentlemen with tea & food.

Glad we got to the bottom of the issues with glowplugs & sensors, so weird tbh but we got there.

Pleasure seeing you again mate & thanks for the hospitality.

Bacon and egg toastie?! Don't go spoiling him and giving him big expectations. Stick to toast and marmalade in future, or you're spoiling it for the rest of us. :laugh:

How could I forget about Jeff, lol, yet another very nice guy who looked after me very well when doing some work for him :)