Chris NottVolks Autos
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By MattUK

Thread: 3.0 tdi best mpg so far, probably not seen again!

2nd Gear

Status

3.0 tdi best mpg so far, probably not seen again!

Went to collect missus from heathrow yesterday, i love driving around the m25 at 5pm!
    Anyway by the time i got there, the trip was showing 49mpg obviously not normal driving but i was only expecting 40 on a run.
    Crap pic i know!

Lynall

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    That's a pretty remarkable figure at any time of day, still less at 5pm. My best average figure ever was around 46mpg (strangely enough also on the M25) the day I bough the car from Fontain in Uxbridge and drove it home to Bexleyheath.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2nd Gear

Status
    On the return trip the mpg obviously dropped, three people and two peoples luggage and traffic was a lot better, to gillingham drop one person off and back to maidstone, 45 mpg, cant say how impressed i am.
    Her previous merc c320 petrol was 31mpg at best on a run 25mpg was normal mpg so even if the thing only does 35mpg as an average thats still quite a saving.

Lynall

Neutral

Status
    Her previous merc c320 petrol was 31mpg at best on a run 25mpg was normal mpg so even if the thing only does 35mpg as an average thats still quite a saving.

Lynall
    My old Lexus is200 would average about 17mpg on a good week best was 29mpg on the m1 I even had to draft behind a lorry 55mph to get that!

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by b7sline View Post
    My old Lexus is200 would average about 17mpg on a good week best was 29mpg on the m1 I even had to draft behind a lorry 55mph to get that!
    Do you think that was because the 2-litre engine had to work too hard? I do wonder if an IS300 would have returned better figures, particularly on the motorway, due to not having to work so hard.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Neutral

Status
    Wow.. never seen that yet... I have done a couple of round trips to Sheffield (from Kent) in the last few weeks.. I expect though I am too heavy footed

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962:1996786
    Quote Originally Posted by b7sline View Post
    Do you think that was because the 2-litre engine had to work too hard? I do wonder if an IS300 would have returned better figures, particularly on the motorway, due to not having to work so hard.
    Perhaps or maybe it would properly would have been better if I kept it standard lol think when I first got it I averaged around 25-30

God Mode

Status
    Mines always at 50 or higher ... but it's 1.9tdi and I drive economically (boring I know).

1st Gear

Status
    Best I have seen from our 3.0 is 51 and that was driving like a vegetarian. 47 on a run is a regular figure.

1st Gear

Status
    Thats a good effort form the 3.0V6!

I sit around 40mph and a rolling average over the last 10,000miles of 42.1mpg but 2.7V6 Tdi has no heavy quattro to hang on to which was the reason I didn't go 3.0tdi as my trek in rush hour to work would have killed me. But easily see 48-52mpg on a nice 65mpg cruise (cruise control is luxury) However I did get something like 58mpg from Leicester when i got the car...

Phantom A4 Build Thread

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-C View Post
    Best I have seen from our 3.0 is 51 and that was driving like a vegetarian. 47 on a run is a regular figure.
    x2

Gotta love a manual box, and they're quicker off the line too!

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Neutral

Status
    I have to say I really enjoy the Tiptronic auto on mine.. giong back to a manual is a pain - I must be getting old.. it shifts quick enough off the line (esp in sports mode)
    jdp1962, V6 Quatt and .Jas. like this.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
    I have to say I really enjoy the Tiptronic auto on mine.. giong back to a manual is a pain - I must be getting old.. it shifts quick enough off the line (esp in sports mode)
    Spot on! This engine is so perfectly suited to an auto box.

1st Gear

Status
    Tonights rather sterling efforts and a new record lol, I have been shoving a squirt of Castrol 2 stroke in every full tank as I had heard and read that diesels seems to like it.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4_MaJiK View Post
    x2

Gotta love a manual box, and they're quicker off the line too!
    1st gear is way to short though

2nd Gear

Status
    Thats excellent mpg, ref the 2 stroke oil, is it red?
    Have a look at the clear feed line to the high pressure pump at the front of the v, if its tainted the whole lot red you may have some explaining to do if fuel is checked by customs!
    I remember years a ago a brand new range rover with the same clear pipe taped over, we took a peak yep running on red.
    The 2 stroke oil from tool station comes in handy little bottles

Lynall

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lynallbel View Post
    Went to collect missus from heathrow yesterday, i love driving around the m25 at 5pm!
    Anyway by the time i got there, the trip was showing 49mpg obviously not normal driving but i was only expecting 40 on a run.
    Crap pic i know!

Lynall
    Don't forget the DIS displays are WRONG and overly optimistic. In reality your actual mpg will be of the order of 10-15% less than the display figure.

Paul B7

4th Gear

Status
    Very true indeed.

[Q1UOTE=Paul B7;1997482]Don't forget the DIS displays are WRONG and overly optimistic. In reality your actual mpg will be of the order of 10-15% less than the display figure.

Paul B7[/QUOTE]
    Torque the Torque

Neutral

Status
    Bah.. let us dream

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes but even if you knock of 10/15 percent thats still impressive, well i think it is.
    45.2 ish at -10%
    42.8 ish at -15%
    If it was mine i would work it out tank to tank, but wife will just fill it up and thats it!

Lynall

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    I generally find that mine reads around 5mpg over actual.

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Neutral

Status
    I've had 48mpg on a long-ish run from my petrol 2.0TFSI, although I was sticking to 50mph (or just over)
    Audi A4 (B7) 2.0T FSI SE Quattro

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Craig Cull's Youtube Channel
    Somehow my dad has managed to return 600 miles from £60, dis is averaging 58mpg! Dont get me wrong you can barely hear the engine when my dad drives. Seems reasonably accurate? Im shocked. He has his moments dont get me wrong, but not like me haha! Think id struggle to see 25mpg with all that torque from the 3.0 tdi.... Too addictive!!
    K04 hybrid turbo. S3 injectors, Autotech hpfp internals, RS4 fuel pressure regulator, custom FMIC, APR carbonio intake, decat pipe, milltek cat back non resonated 100mm tips, unicorn developments custom remap, launch control and flat shift. Valet mode, economy map and full power map options. Stage 3 southbend clutch with single mass flywheel, Eibach pro street coilovers, eibach front and rear anti roll bars, porsche cayenne 6 pot calipers front, S4 rear brake conversion.

2nd Gear

Status
    You would be surprised with the mpg as i certainly am, the mpg always seems good, i like a foot plant as much as the next person, the true test will be when the wife starts using it to go to work and back etc.

Lynall

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-C View Post
    Tonights rather sterling efforts and a new record lol, I have been shoving a squirt of Castrol 2 stroke in every full tank as I had heard and read that diesels seems to like it.

Im just trying this for the first time on my trip home from france.