Problem with blowers

READER84

Reaction score
Morning, i have a B7 A4 with the same CC unit as pictured.

Problem is, the big blower for my windscreen doesnt seem to want to blow, it just sounds like the air is trying to get out but cant. Then when i open the side dash vents it blows from there!

Any ideas?

Thanks

View attachment 22091

check the motors to ensure they are moving (turn engine off, but car on and listen to the motors as you choose different positions).

Take the glove box out and you will see all the motors, press the vent buttons to see what's not working then you can do what I have currently done and remove the motor to be replaced and manually open the vent for now.

replacement motors are about £12 on ebay, but they are pretty easy to fix. They are held in by 2 or 3 screws behind the glove box. They pop open easily and shoould be re-greased. Mine had some grease, but not on the screw drive, so cleaned mine out, and covered in silicon grease. The move alot quieter and smoother because of it. Takes about 30 mins to do all 4 from start to finish.

Nice one, ill drop the glovebox out (after ive worked out how) and take a look

Typical that the blower i need starts playing up just as the weather gets bad! Lol

do it with the glovebox inplace to start with. you can hear the motors going when you move the selector. might be a bit quicker for you.

Just been in the car, pressed the front screen button so it blasts at full. It roars away like its trying to put air out of somewhere but just doesnt. Until i open the side dash vents, then it blasts from there and still not the screen vents!

the motors internally are all the same, they just have different attachments (the vents move in different ways and the plastic attachments allow this). Do the movements but with the fan as low as possible. This will let you hear hte motors.

But from the sounds of it, its probably best removing the glovebox now. pretty easy to do (3 bots up top, 2 at the bottom and 1 possibly behind the cd-changer if you have one). it could be the runners on the plastic attachment have jumped off, the motor broke, or its sticky.

I dont have any pics to help i'm afraid, but it really is an easy job to get to them. They are very accessible. Each motor has its own wiring connection, so what I would do is to pull hte motors away from the assembly (unscrew motor by the 2 or 3 screws and pull gently away). Keep the wiring on and test each one. No harm in giving them all an overhaul while your at it.

PS. found this post here which might help
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...hassis/170733-heater-flap-repair-bit-diy.html

Thank you, ill try this over the next couple of days and report back :)

Any ideas what screws are holding the glovebox in? Not had chance to look and ill take what ever i need home from work today

Cheers

Any ideas what screws are holding the glovebox in? Not had chance to look and ill take what ever i need home from work today

Cheers

I think, from memory its 3 8mm bolts up top and under the box... Open the lid of the glove box and have a look far left, middle and right and you'll see them.

I had the same issue on mine when I got it, but it was heater control not position control. The passenger side only blew out hot air and the 're-circ' motor was completely missing and didn't work. You can see mine weren't connected and missing in the case of re-circ

The replacements can be take off the B5/B6 also if you've got a scrap yard near you?

IMG_4742_zps0fe196e4.jpg

IMG_4744_zpsa66f2684.jpg

Stolen from another thread below, but I use a 10mm or 8mm socket and ratchet on a small extension to make life easier...

''To remove the glovebox all you have to do is remove 5 bolts. Two are located under the glovebox and are circled in the next two pictures.''

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

Ive got the glovebox down, worked out which ones acting up, but cant work out how to get the motor out off the coloured arms.

Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382709903242856

Its the green one