Ebay Double Din

I just installed my new one and it is working a treat, it came with all the right cables, the only cable I need to terminate myself is the ANT. It has been a long time since I last installed a system as my last system was solid so didn't need changing. I can't remember if the ANT cable connects to the AUTO ANT cable or a permanent 12v. Also the DI SENS pin is missing, not sure if this needs to go to anything as the unit powers up fine.

So far I have tested:
The AUX port that was already fitted to my centre console by Audi works fine.
The SatNav is iGO8, looks like its working fine but haven't hooked up the GPS antenna yet.
Bluetooth allows me to wirelessly play music and it has downloaded my phonebook so it shows me who is calling and allows me to call from my contacts list.
Radio reception is poor but I haven't hooked up the ANT cable yet, I assume this powers the aerial amp to provide better radio.

I am sure you will enjoy it mate, looks the part, slight downside is the white buttons during the day but at night they are illuminated red :)

I've got a new dilemma :sadlike:. Now I've pulled the trigger to buy the new system it's going to make my existing hands-free redundant. The issue is that my existing Bluetooth hands-free (fitted by previous rep owner, see pic) is going to leave a hole in the centre console once removed.
DSC02039
Any ideas for masking this? I'm guessing a plug of some description that matches existing trim. Failing that I might have to visit the local scappies and get creative. Any suggestions welcome :icon_thumright:

I just installed my new one and it is working a treat, it came with all the right cables, the only cable I need to terminate myself is the ANT. It has been a long time since I last installed a system as my last system was solid so didn't need changing. I can't remember if the ANT cable connects to the AUTO ANT cable or a permanent 12v. Also the DI SENS pin is missing, not sure if this needs to go to anything as the unit powers up fine.

So far I have tested:
The AUX port that was already fitted to my centre console by Audi works fine.
The SatNav is iGO8, looks like its working fine but haven't hooked up the GPS antenna yet.
Bluetooth allows me to wirelessly play music and it has downloaded my phonebook so it shows me who is calling and allows me to call from my contacts list.
Radio reception is poor but I haven't hooked up the ANT cable yet, I assume this powers the aerial amp to provide better radio.

I am sure you will enjoy it mate, looks the part, slight downside is the white buttons during the day but at night they are illuminated red :)

I know this is impatience as mine is due Mon but does the unit have a USB connector at the rear? I want to feed an external USB in the glovebox but can only see reference to the mini USB on the face.

Cheers

I've got a new dilemma :sadlike:. Now I've pulled the trigger to buy the new system it's going to make my existing hands-free redundant. The issue is that my existing Bluetooth hands-free (fitted by previous rep owner, see pic) is going to leave a hole in the centre console once removed.
View attachment 22763
Any ideas for masking this? I'm guessing a plug of some description that matches existing trim. Failing that I might have to visit the local scappies and get creative. Any suggestions welcome :icon_thumright:

The part the unit is mounted on can just be prised out and replaced. Shouldn't imagine it's all that expensive.

I will need to check but I seem to recall two USB ports on the rear. If you have a Bose system you might want to get some ground loop inductors to stop the electrical whining whilst accelerating, I might install mine today.

Yes there re 2 USB ports on the rear and my ground loop inductors did the job on the electrical whine :)

Yes there re 2 USB ports on the rear and my ground loop inductors did the job on the electrical whine :)

Thanks for the info. Sat waiting for delivery before taking my pride and joy to bits. Did you go for the rearview cam too?

No I didn't bother, I have been getting car gadgets since my first car and I had one in there but just found the reversing cam disorientating, I rather turn my head to see behind.

No I didn't bother, I have been getting car gadgets since my first car and I had one in there but just found the reversing cam disorientating, I rather turn my head to see behind.

Just unwrapped my new toy. Gonna have a go with the cam but just trying to figure where to get the get the feed for the reverse switch on the unit. Looks like I might have to run another lead to the reverse light unit?

I have no idea where there might be a reverse circuit, do you have access to Elsawin?

I have no idea where there might be a reverse circuit, do you have access to Elsawin?

Might be sorted. It looks like the video feed has a power lead run alongside with no obvious use for it. The destructions aren't very clear but I'm going to give that a go. Wish me luck!

You'll need it, the instructions with any Chinese budget electronics seem to be shocking.

Not a happy bunny :motz:. What should have been a simple plug and play turns out not to be. All looked well to start with, wiring seemed dead straight forward so i made the mistake of getting my hopes up. For some reason I can only get the right hand side speakers working and even then they're **** about face. Thought it was maybe something I'd missed so I moved on to test the satnav only to find out the SD card that shipped with the unit doesn't have any software on it. Suffice to say I'm now on the forum and writing a response to the seller on the bay :noway:. Bit gutted really, just hope it's something easily remedied.

Are you sure there's no software on it? Have you connected it to a PC to check? Sometimes the target exe is different from what the device is looking for so press navi, choose settings, where is shows the target exe press the browse button, look on the SD card root and if there is an exe there select it. The device should then remember this exe and launch it automatically. This is experience from a lot of sat nav hacking in my time ;)

speaker issue is a strange one, sure the balance hasn't been altered to right hand only?

Are you sure there's no software on it? Have you connected it to a PC to check? Sometimes the target exe is different from what the device is looking for so press navi, choose settings, where is shows the target exe press the browse button, look on the SD card root and if there is an exe there select it. The device should then remember this exe and launch it automatically. This is experience from a lot of sat nav hacking in my time ;)

speaker issue is a strange one, sure the balance hasn't been altered to right hand only?

When I browse the SD card it's not showing any executable files. It appears to show a load of files called test.wav??
I'll played with the balance and fade but can only ever get both right speakers working. Even then the fader is reversed so front is rear!

Did you just have a quadlock connection? As I have bose in my car I had to connect 3 pairs of RCA cables to the headunit output RCAs to get input and output audio ok. Could your loom have the labels mixed up hence the weird right speaker issue?

they will probably let you download the GPS from their FTP site, I was given FTP access for updated firmware but I wasn't granted access to download anything but the FW file, I did see maps there though.

Did you just have a quadlock connection? As I have bose in my car I had to connect 3 pairs of RCA cables to the headunit output RCAs to get input and output audio ok. Could your loom have the labels mixed up hence the weird right speaker issue?

they will probably let you download the GPS from their FTP site, I was given FTP access for updated firmware but I wasn't granted access to download anything but the FW file, I did see maps there though.

I'm a bit further on. On your suggestion I browsed the SD card on a PC and the maps are on there. The issue appears to be when I select browse to set the path for GPS, it's not browsing the SD card??

As for the speakers, I'm just using the loom that was provided. The old system worked fine and as far as I know I don;t have Bose.

Are you using the GPS sd slot rather than the media SD slot?

Are you using the GPS sd slot rather than the media SD slot?

I'd haver to say I'm not sure, didn't realise they were different. If that's the case then the SATNAV issue is user error, hands up on that one :shrug:

Still miffed on the speaker issue. Don't want to have to hack about the speaker loom when it should be plug and play.

Just been out and had another look at the wiring. Having managed to replicate the speaker issue on the existing stereo I think I'm going in the right direction. Thanks for the guidance, I suspect it's as you said, the quad lock needs connecting via the RCA's. Too cold and too late to try now. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again for your patience.

Strange that you get some audio without the RCAs but if you can replicate in your old system should make it easier. I had to study and figure out the exact pin out on my system, I can't get good radio reception so need to check the aerial amp 12v connection.

The plot thickens! I've wired up the RCA's and got all but one speaker working (rear right). On further investigation the pins on the quad block don't match up with the ISO block so I'm going to have to hack it about a bit. I wish that was the only problem :-(
Now that the speakers are working they're not it the correct order.
DSC02044
I'm working on the assumption that the quad block is supposed to amp the back speakers? At the moment it's 90 degrees out, i.e. the front right and rear right speakers are amped and the others aren't. I was tempted to say sod it and just balance it out on the fader but as it's pictorial on the unit, it's just not right. If a jobs worth doing blah blah blah.....
DSC02047
Did you have any joy with the aerial reception?
I'm guessing the blue lead labelled 'light' is for the auto dim on the unit? Any idea on a source for this?

I didn't have a light wire, is yours a canbus system? I can't remember if you said it was or not.

I haven't had any time to look at my radio, I have a lot going on with work and other things.

What I did was take a photo of the pin diagram on my original radio, then I looked at the original quadblock and marked on the photo which pins were connected, this then let me ignore certain pins. From there I was better able to work out my wiring but as I have Bose there are no speaker pin outs, that's all done by the Bose amp in the boot so I only had to get RCA connections to the amp and that did the rest, once I have added a pin for the amp remote wire that is.

I think Xtrons got confused by the different wiring in different Audis tbh as they sent me 3 different looms during the original problem I had!

I've logged a fault call on their forum so lets see what they have to say. The blue wire labelled 'light' is attached to the antenna adaptor on mine.
PF71A4A 12

The blue wire on number 10? That needs to go to a 12v perm I think, that's the one I am having trouble with.

Looks like your unit is identical to mine, only difference will be the facia.

On the plus side, the SatNav works a treat. Thanks for the guide on the SD slots.

Last edited:
No worries, I have yet to give mine a proper test. Need to see how old the speedcam files are as I probably have more up to date ones here and I might have newer maps too.

The pictures on the website show a 'Night Mode' but I can't see where this is enabled? Driving home tonight the unit was a bit glarey but I could only turn the screen off, not dim it.
PF71A4A 11

On the main screen in the top left hand corner there is a stars icon, I can't remember if this dims or powers off. I think mine has night mode automatically, you can test by putting on your headlights, do the buttons illuminate red?

No worries, I have yet to give mine a proper test. Need to see how old the speedcam files are as I probably have more up to date ones here and I might have newer maps too.
Fortunately we don't have static speed camera's in North Yorkshire (yet!!), only mobile ones. Useful for heading out of our little speed cam free haven though.

On the main screen in the top left hand corner there is a stars icon, I can't remember if this dims or powers off. I think mine has night mode automatically, you can test by putting on your headlights, do the buttons illuminate red?

The stars icon turns the screen off. I don't appear to have the option to dim it. Yes, the buttons illuminate red.

I thought when the buttons illuminate it knew the headlights were on so dimmed automatically. I guess you have checked the main settings of the device? I can't remember off-hand and am still at work.

Just found this on their support site. I'm wondering if this is related to my issue? Don't fully understand what it's for though.
PF71A3A A4A installation for active amplifier

The RCAs are just to pass audio to the amp and the blue wire is to tell the amp to turn on. I'm not sure if your car will have amped speakers rather than speakers amped by the headunit. If you have just fronts working (or just rears) that would suggest half the car is amped by a separate amp so you need to feed those pins with the remote wire.

The RCAs are just to pass audio to the amp and the blue wire is to tell the amp to turn on. I'm not sure if your car will have amped speakers rather than speakers amped by the headunit. If you have just fronts working (or just rears) that would suggest half the car is amped by a separate amp so you need to feed those pins with the remote wire.

Doesn't sound like it's relevant to my issue then. Just going to have to sit down and map out all the speaker cables so I can re-patch as needed.

I thought when the buttons illuminate it knew the headlights were on so dimmed automatically. I guess you have checked the main settings of the device? I can't remember off-hand and am still at work.
I believe the lights signal is typically set when the sidelights are illuminated (and the instruments are lit).
Common warning; don't tap off a dimmed circuit, since the voltage may reduce below the detection threshold, and therefore fail to dim the radio.
Find an undimmed circuit (glovebox supply?) and use that for the illumination signal to the radio.

The stars icon turns the screen off. I don't appear to have the option to dim it. Yes, the buttons illuminate red.
Can you configure the brightness of the screen in daytime mode?
So you may be able to configure the brightness of the screen in night mode, as well.
And, of course, the off mode will often be useful when driving "dark cockpit".

Doesn't sound like it's relevant to my issue then. Just going to have to sit down and map out all the speaker cables so I can re-patch as needed.
Radios seem to have three configurations:
No amps, so all speakers run from head unit. Standard ISO is fully populated, and very few pins in the amp (red) connector.
Half-amped, so front speakers run off head unit, and rear speakers (inc sub) run off amp. Standard ISO is populated only in the central four pins, so each end is empty, and the amp (red) connector is partially populated (four pins?)
Fully-amped, so all speakers run off amplifiers. One of the ISO connectors is unpopulated, and teh amplifier connector (typically red on Audi) is fully populated at one end (four pins or six pins).

Note the red connector is used for more than just the amps, so has three regions; one end is for the amp, and once it has 6 pins is fully populated. I cannot remember the other two regions, sorry.

I believe the lights signal is typically set when the sidelights are illuminated (and the instruments are lit).
Common warning; don't tap off a dimmed circuit, since the voltage may reduce below the detection threshold, and therefore fail to dim the radio.
Find an undimmed circuit (glovebox supply?) and use that for the illumination signal to the radio.

Can you configure the brightness of the screen in daytime mode?
So you may be able to configure the brightness of the screen in night mode, as well.
And, of course, the off mode will often be useful when driving "dark cockpit".

Radios seem to have three configurations:
No amps, so all speakers run from head unit. Standard ISO is fully populated, and very few pins in the amp (red) connector.
Half-amped, so front speakers run off head unit, and rear speakers (inc sub) run off amp. Standard ISO is populated only in the central four pins, so each end is empty, and the amp (red) connector is partially populated (four pins?)
Fully-amped, so all speakers run off amplifiers. One of the ISO connectors is unpopulated, and teh amplifier connector (typically red on Audi) is fully populated at one end (four pins or six pins).

Note the red connector is used for more than just the amps, so has three regions; one end is for the amp, and once it has 6 pins is fully populated. I cannot remember the other two regions, sorry.

Looking at my old radio pin map it looks like mine was half amped but the ISO that came with the unit appears to be for no amp as all speaker connections are on the ISO. I'm just drawing it out to try and make sense of it. From what I can see, two of the quad block wires aren't aligned and there are 2 extra wires on the car loom that are not on the ISO provided with the unit. Picture to follow.

OK, here goes. The first pics shows the wiring diagram from my original double din concert. The green dots signify where the new ISO has leads. The red dots are wires present it the vehicle loom but not present on the unit ISO.

Any ideas what the 4 wires marked red are for as I don't understand the markings?
DSC02056

Line rr and line rl have to connect to rr and rl RCA from the headunit outputs and likewise for fl and fr. Line earth is the earth for fr, fl, rr and rl.

afaik Di sens needs a 12v feed, it can piggyback off ub+ from what I have read. Your remaining red blobs didn't need connecting on my loom.