Glow plug limp mode after cleaning egr

Pbowers1979

Reaction score
Hi really need some expert advice. Took my egr off of my 2.0 tdi a4 today and cleaned it out, upon replacing the car started fine but then glow plug came on and limp mode. This happened about 5 min into my first drive I turned car off then restarted and it felt like it wasn't pulling as it should be. No power until like near on 3000 revs then glow plug light came back on. Surely it's something I have or haven't done. I replaced all gaskets and I'm sure I put it all back exact way it came out. Any help will be much appreciated

Don't know your engine code, but vacuum pipe on egr not reattached?

Don't know your engine code, but vacuum pipe on egr not reattached?
What is the vacuum pipe? Is that a electrical connection? Sorry I come across stupid this is the first time I've tried doing something myself and it's not been a great success lol

Well egr will be controlled by a small vacuum pipe connection or by an electrical motor to open/close it, does your egr have electrical or vacuum pipe fixing on it?

Hi yes it did have an electrical connection and I remember when pushing it back in I didn't hear a click as I did with the others.you think that's it??

Check connection, if that's not working properly, then yes can cause lights & bad running, vcds would advise you the reason for lights.

Ok great will try first thing in morning. Thanks for your help

So just took apart again made sure on all connections they seem fine problem still there 😟 glow plug light coming on after 5 min limp home mode. I'm sure it's something I've done whilst cleaning egr out, it's to much of a coincidence. Can you offer anymore advice please

Did you try to force the valve open inside to clean it?
if you did you may well have damaged the motor worm drive.

Did you try to force the valve open inside to clean it?
if you did you may well have damaged the motor worm drive.
hi I don't think I did, I took it off in two parts, 1 part had a large flap inside which was open when I removed it and the main part had a metal rod running through it with what I would describe as a much smaller flap connected to the other end which was shut upon removal. If I have done what you suspect you think I need a new egr. Thanks for your help and sorry if my explanation makes no sense lol I'm a novice

Ideally you need vcds to clear any errors & see what it does then, but try old faithful, battery disconnect for 5 minutes :)

The bit with the big flap is the throttle flap the bit with the small flap and rod is the egr,if you have forced either one it may have damaged the internals,best thing to do is to get it on a scanner and see what fault codes are present.

Last edited:
The bit with the big flap is the throttle flap the bit with the small flap and rod is the egr,if you have forced either one it may have damaged the internals,best thing to do is to get it scanner and what fault codes are present.
Thanks for advice guys I'm gonna take it tomorrow for diagnosis. I take it it doesn't need to be Audi?? Also I never disconnected the battery when I cleaned out the egr valve. Could this cause the fault?? May just be where I've cleaned so much crap out the volume of air going through is much greater?? Just stabbing in the dark here lol. Any more advice before I take it in morning is welcomed. Thanks again

No it doesn't need to be audi,as for cleaning the egr with the battery connected shouldn't hurt as long as the ignition was switched off.get the code checked and go from there.

Hi quick update finally found the fault.just about to drop it to the garage and I thought I would check the gaskets I replaced. as a friends vcd bought up code 08225 which was air intake fault, turns out the round rubber band type gasket to air inlet was the wrong one for my egr. Audi supplied these parts upon taking my reg and chassis number. I rang them and had a moan that my main dealer should be able to supply correct parts. They are going to take the car in check fir faults and clear any faults that remain free of charge. So to anyone else this may happen to something as simple as the gasket could save you a headache like mine. Thanks all for your help and support.drives like a dream now. Happy days

A gasket, how was that causing such an issue unless it blocked air in/out or interfered with IMF functionality, how very bizarre, any pics of differences in gaskets?

I thought the same myself. How could something so slight cause such issues. Have no picks at mo but best way I can describe it is the one I took out was black with a raised lip the one they gave me to replace it was red and looked like a normal rubber band I thought it was odd when I fitted it but didn't think to question if Audi had supplied wrong part. There was some movement in the joint with the one they supplied whereas the original gave no movement in joint at all, I'm guessing air intake was low as it was ******* out the side of gasket hence fault code. What do you think?. Will try and supply some pics when I get back to the car.

If I had seen the design was a fair bit different with such a gap & bad fitment, I wouldn't of fitted, as yes boost leaks & incorrect expected flow of egr/intake would cause issues, didn't realise it was such a different/bad fitment.

Totally agree with you. But being a novice as I am I put my faith in Audi supplying correct part lol. I'll learn by my mistakes.ill get photos up soon so yourself and others can have a look at how different they are. Never know might help others in similar position.

Reactions: NHN