knocking over bumps even after changing control arms

unitzero

Reaction score
I've had a knocking over bumps for a while (about a week or so after I fitted my coils) I presumed the bushes were worn on the original control arms (140k car and now lowered quite considerably from standard) So... I took it to my local mechanic to check, we had a look under the car with a pry bar to find any play and he suggested changing the tie rods and (eventually) we changed 5 out of the 8 control arms. After a nightmare with pinch bolts which I won't go into and almost £300 spent on parts I'm still getting knocks and bangs over bumps and uneven surfaces !

any advice would be greatly appreciated - I'm broke as a joke right now :(

I couldn't see any marks on the shaft or roll bar when it was up in the air but I shall check that cheers.

I would also be looking at the arb area, if its been lowered so much.

I didn't think that B7's had this issue ? I know my 2 mk4's were a PITA when it came to ARB rubbing though.

Yes but yours is lowered a fair bit, so you have to discount all things before getting more serious IMHO.

Check to see if the exhaust is loose, I had that error in the past, and stabiliser links,

You probably already tried this, but get a spanner on the ARB link bolts etc as mine was doing this and while I couldnt feel any play when it was jacked up, i tightened it up and it sorted it.

Yes but yours is lowered a fair bit, so you have to discount all things before getting more serious IMHO.

true, I will definitely check. maybe raising it a few mm will make all the difference

You probably already tried this, but get a spanner on the ARB link bolts etc as mine was doing this and while I couldnt feel any play when it was jacked up, i tightened it up and it sorted it.

The whole assembly was taken out to change the control arms/ tie rods and everything was tightened before dropping down. Someone has suggested that I loosen and re tighten once it's down at driving height but that will require a ramp as there is no way to get under there or get a spanner in the wheel arch.

Check to see if the exhaust is loose, I had that error in the past, and stabiliser links,

I shall give that a wiggle - I kind of hope it's something simple like that but I also hope I've not spent hundreds of pounds on replacing parts that were misdiagnosed as being worn too :(

One one other thing to add, the noises only seem to occur when the road is uneven, the noises are not apparent when driving on motorways with little bumps or where the road dips evenly even those long mellow speed bumps are ok.

edit: pic of the height for reference :-

9691075173_01a6fd33a2_z.jpg

Last edited: