Drive Shaft Fell Out ?!!!!

Jonbooth

Reaction score
Evening All

Was doing about 5mph today and the drive shaft fell out of the CVR Joint ?!... What hold the splines on the drift shaft in to the CVR Joint on the wheel side ?

Thanks

Last edited:
a circlip fitted into the groove on the shaft holds it in, but they can break up causing this. Problem is when it pulls out of the joint it can scuff the splines up making it impossible to push the shaft back in. I had to get a new/used shaft/joint

Thanks for coming back to me Byzan... the AA guy drove the shaft back in to the CVR in and i drove it home... just a circlip needed then ? Is it available as a separate part fro the CVR ? :D

the clip lives on the shaft. If AA man drove it in and you drove home, it's more likely still there and some unluckyness has taken place. I think the clip is part of the shaft from memory

Sorry Byzan, just to confirm......are you saying that its more than likely that when the AA man drove it back in, the clip might have re engaged or that the clip is somewhere in the boot / grease ?

thanks again :)

I'd have expected it to pop back out if the clip wasn't there to re engage. It may have broken a section of it I guess which could in theory worst case be in the grease. If you are worried, have the joint removed and grease cleaned out. That should show up anything that's broken/missing and cost no more than replacing a cv gaiter for MOT