Some help please guys, just bought 170 tdi

Pbowers1979

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if an engine flush and injector additive is wise on my new 2.0 tdi, some say not to and others swear by it, confused. Would like to get off to a good start with it so if there is any measures I can take to help the engine I'm all ears?? And advise on general what to do would be great no matter how small or large the job? It's my first diesel Audi so any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance

No to both. Additives do little or nothing in terms of performance or mpg, all down to interpretation but from experience it's a placebo effect, out of the two this is one to try for yourself as the cost is cheap and they can't do much harm. Flushing the engine is a completely different kettle of fish, this would be better but could also be very detrimental as cleaning the sludge could loosen deposits around valves leading to problems as the deposits are often helping to seal part of the engine.

No to both. Additives do little or nothing in terms of performance or mpg, all down to interpretation but from experience it's a placebo effect, out of the two this is one to try for yourself as the cost is cheap and they can't do much harm. Flushing the engine is a completely different kettle of fish, this would be better but could also be very detrimental as cleaning the sludge could loosen deposits around valves leading to problems as the deposits are often helping to seal part of the engine.
Ok so a no to them then. Would you reccomend anything ie oil change etc. was also going to ask if it's wise to remove the dpf?? Professionally of course. Plus I'm worried about the oil pump failures most of the guys on here have experienced.worth me getting mine seen to as a preventative measure you think?? Sorry to go on only I'm not the most clued up when it comes to an engine bay. Cheers

dpf removal is worth it.
the car will perform better in stock mode
and much more better with a mild or
normal remap.
plus noticeably improved mpg

additives can help to clean you injectors. (did you watch the new series of 5th gear this week)??
engine flush does work but I cant really speak for it.
my mate put some engine flush and drove around
for some days and I told him off for being stupid
coz it could loosen a lot more than sludge.

Read alot an the dpf, very good if they do not change the law on this, if it was made into the car, they may-be in the future it will part of it all the time.
If so probably cost more to re-place than to remove.

These additives, never used them, probably never will. It sort of reminds me of the days gone by when we de-coked an engine, any remember doing this.

Maintain to using a good grade of diesel

Remove Dpf, blank egr, decat, map... you'll thank me later. if you're worried about new laws gut the dpf and cat so they look stock, MOT tester wouldn't bat an eyelid either way.

Remove Dpf, blank egr, decat, map... you'll thank me later. if you're worried about new laws gut the dpf and cat so they look stock, MOT tester wouldn't bat an eyelid either way.
Thanks for all your input guys, with the dpf removal the law is if you remove it after they make it a legal requirement for mot your in trouble if you have done so before the law changes your good to go :) just spoke with Jbs autos In derby they are going to remove the dpf and replace with a custom made pipe. They also remove all sensors that could prove problematic.wipe ecu and remap for £599.bargain I thought. Spoke to amd in Essex first and they wanted to go down the route of gutting the dpf but I was advised against that as although it looks good for mot purpose it not so good for performance and long term gains. From what ive read about jbs autos They are spot on and know there stuff. Just curious what you meant by blank egr diesel jake? Cheers again

Pbowers1979 that is good to know, i will look into this, could be a good call

Was on the phone a looking on line for some time def sounds line the lads in derby are gonna be my choice. This post is to just say although amd do not do what I was after for the dpf they are still my number one choice for audi remap just this time the price I was quoted for both I thought was reasonable.

I have a 170

Haven't read the thread properly so if it hasn't been done already get the injectors done - also ask the dealer ref re-fitting the rocker cover afterwards. The local dealer that did mine didn't put the cover on properly so my engine was soaked in oil and it cost me a good few hundred quid to put right (dealer didn't want to know because I took the car to an indy)

I had the DPF completely removed rather than gutted. Removed the EGR (Darkside developments do a replacement pipe) and removed the EGR cooler (I just bought some Samco hoses and a few joiners and re-plumbed the cooling system)

One thing I would check is the oil filter. My 170 came from long life service regime and I don't really know who was supposed to check it - me I guess - but the oil filter wasn't changed. It clogged badly and killed the turbo oil seals - worth checking!!

Good car though IMO. Not much love for the 2.0TDI but its been pretty sound for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEZ and Avnt
I have a 170

Haven't read the thread properly so if it hasn't been done already get the injectors done - also ask the dealer ref re-fitting the rocker cover afterwards. The local dealer that did mine didn't put the cover on properly so my engine was soaked in oil and it cost me a good few hundred quid to put right (dealer didn't want to know because I took the car to an indy)

I had the DPF completely removed rather than gutted. Removed the EGR (Darkside developments do a replacement pipe) and removed the EGR cooler (I just bought some Samco hoses and a few joiners and re-plumbed the cooling system)

One thing I would check is the oil filter. My 170 came from long life service regime and I don't really know who was supposed to check it - me I guess - but the oil filter wasn't changed. It clogged badly and killed the turbo oil seals - worth checking!!

Good car though IMO. Not much love for the 2.0TDI but its been pretty sound for me.

have u got any pictures of what you did with your egr

Thanks for your input eddscott I am in process of sorting out most of the above. Injectors have been done already and obverse been told the oil pump on my model is the upgraded one now.oil filter and oil change done today and off for dpf removal and map next week 😊