Speaker Upgrade - 2007 A4 Cabrio S-Line.. How easy is this?

Springer*

Reaction score
I've been thinking that the Audi Concert stereo in our 2007 A4 S-Line Cabriolet sounds a little bit weedy.

I have a 2003 B6 A4 Quattro Sport saloon that has the optional extra Subwoofer on the rear parcel shelf, and it sounds miles better, even though the head unit in that is the older version of the lowly Concert stereo.

How easy is it to maybe replace/upgrade the rear speakers in the Cabrio to something a little more beefy? Also, can the fronts be swapped out easily or are they all moulded into the door skin?

If so, what diameter/depth speakers would I need to get?

I'm sure there are far better head units out there that will fit but I'm thinking that the speakers could potentially be upgraded for far less money.

Any info would be a great help...

J:)

trying to get good sound out of a convertible is nigh on impossible because of the open air element the bass has nothing to reflect off
unless you want to throw literally hundreds of pounds at it

in all honesty i would simply replace the front speakers for something a little better from the likes of focal , rainbow or jl audio

thanks for the reply..

I'm not really bothered about the bass response with the roof down. Obviously a lot of the sound will be lost in the open air. Its more when the roof is up that the Concert set up is pretty tinny and thin, especially when compared to my older B6 Quattro's Concert unit with the OE subwoofer on the rear parcel shelf.

Can you get direct replacement speakers that will fit straight into the doors or are the OE ones kind of moulded in? In other words, will I be able to just buy some speakers off the shelf in say Halfords that will just screw straight in or will I need to fabricate something to replace the OE structure in order to make the new ones fit?

Cheers,

J:)

you can buy adaptors which will make any 6.5" speakers fit directly into the front doors
but there usually made of plastic and not very good
the best way of doing it to get the best possible sound is to make your own adaptors from either birch ply or mdf (mdf needs to be painted as its porous and will rot if left untreated )
id also advise using some sound deadening in the doors to help the speakers

for good components look at focal , hertz , jl audio , rainbow speakers