• 1 Post By g00se
  • 3 Post By jdp1962

Thread: Fitting a cabriolet with uprated ARBs - guidance needed

Reverse Gear

Status

Fitting a cabriolet with uprated ARBs - guidance needed

Hello there fellow Audi folk

I'm new round here but have a question:

I've got an a4 cabriolet. I love the car but feel it could be a bit tighter in the handling department!

Having replaced a broken rear spring today the car feels better - but its got me thinking: should I uprate the ARBs and if so, with what?

Help please with some advice and options.
    I recall some mention of RS4 ARBs being good - but does this really make any difference or is it just snake oil?

Likewise, whats the general cost for this?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    It's definate must do mod pal, you will be very surprised at the difference it makes
    Just fitted an RS4 Rear Sway Bar - WOW!

Mac
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thats helpful.
    Mine is an S line, so will probably need to go for the RS4 on the rear only

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by endlessheadroom View Post
    Thats helpful.
    Rear only is the way to go, if you do the front too, it cancels out the the upgraded rear.. maybe with poly bushes too?

034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

Audi A4/S4/RS4 B5/B6/B7 Polyurethane Suspension Bushes | SuperPro Europe Ltd.

goose
    Last edited by g00se; 21st September 2013 at 08:10.
    endlessheadroom likes this.
    Current:
    '08 Carbon Black BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport|Full white interior bulb kit|White LED Halos|De-badged
    '72 Sunburst Yellow VW Karmann Ghia Coupe - 1641cc|Engle 110 Cam|Weber 34 Carb|dropped spindles|Porsche 911 black leather interior

Past:
    '06 Phantom Black Pearl Audi B7 S4 - Milltek non res|BMC Panel|034 25mm RARB|SuperPro poly bushes|Apikol poly Snub|H&R Springs|H&R 10mm rear spacers|LCR Splitter|R8 caps|JCap|RS4 Pedals|EBC D/G disks & yellow pads|HEL brake lines|White sides/DRLs|De-tango'd

1st Gear

Status
    Thats helpful.
    How does it cancel it out?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbooboo View Post
    How does it cancel it out?
    Anti roll bars increase roll stiffness on the axle to which they are fitted. Increasing roll stiffness makes the car corner more flatly, but it also increases the "slip-angle", which means a reduction in outright tyre grip on the affected axle.

So, if you add a thicker anti-roll to the front of the car, you increase front roll stiffness (and increase front tyre slip angles) relative to the rear, so the car understeers more in corners. Audis already have prominent understeer becase the engine sits ahead of the front axle line (or as Clarkson once described it, it's like having a dead horse tied to the front bumper.

But if you add a thicker anti roll bar to the back of the car and leave the front unchanged, you increase rear roll stiffness (and increase rear tyre slip angles) relative to the front, so the car understeers less in corners, and that's much nicer.

If you add thicker bars front and back, they cancel each other out.
    g00se, Tolak and endlessheadroom like this.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

1st Gear

Status
    i didnt realise that B7 S4s already come fitted with the same 22mm bar as the RS4, till i ordered one and went to fit it a couple of yrs ago - doh! Now i've got this bad-boy, and i bloomin love it!!

034Motorsport Solid Rear Sway Bar, B6/B7 Audi A4/S4/RS4 Quattro & FWD, Adjustable - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

goose
    Current:
    '08 Carbon Black BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport|Full white interior bulb kit|White LED Halos|De-badged
    '72 Sunburst Yellow VW Karmann Ghia Coupe - 1641cc|Engle 110 Cam|Weber 34 Carb|dropped spindles|Porsche 911 black leather interior

Past:
    '06 Phantom Black Pearl Audi B7 S4 - Milltek non res|BMC Panel|034 25mm RARB|SuperPro poly bushes|Apikol poly Snub|H&R Springs|H&R 10mm rear spacers|LCR Splitter|R8 caps|JCap|RS4 Pedals|EBC D/G disks & yellow pads|HEL brake lines|White sides/DRLs|De-tango'd

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g00se View Post
    i didnt realise that B7 S4s already come fitted with the same 22mm bar as the RS4, till i ordered one and went to fit it a couple of yrs ago - doh! Now i've got this bad-boy, and i bloomin love it!!

034Motorsport Solid Rear Sway Bar, B6/B7 Audi A4/S4/RS4 Quattro & FWD, Adjustable - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

goose
    Do they offer these in the UK, in GBP?

1st Gear

Status
    Do they offer these in the UK, in GBP?
    I got mine from Eddie at WOT Motorsport (on here).. he is an offcial 034 importer.. i think i paid 250 all in iirc (inc VAT, import duty, shipping etc) - great service

i have mine on the softer setting, and its still way stiffer than the 22mm RS4 bar was

goose
    Current:

Past: