cam position sensor and warranty companies

leeoliver86

Reaction score
Has anyone had the cam position sensor replaced if so how easy was it to do. My cars been into a garage and they said the timing belt has to come off for the sensor to be replaced. The problem is that the so called warranty company have told the garage that it should take no longer than 30min to replace where as the garage and its been to and its been clarified by audi that its a 3 hour job. I've told the warranty company that its been clarified by audi but they are sticking to no longer than 30min to replace.

All in all the warranty company are unwilling to cover the labour and are trying to have the garage fit a cheaper part which I have been informed has manufacturing problems.

Basically im going to have to shell out to have it replaced as the warranty company are unwilling to correct their book time for the job even with the proof from audi that it takes longer than 30min

What a load of crap they seem to be talking.

Warranty company wants you to fit an inferior part & then when this goes faulty they will then pay for this to be repaired also, what kind of warranty company is this.

If the book time is 3 hours, then how can they possibly believe it will take 30 minutes.

Thats my argument they wanted proof that the job would take more than 30min which I have supplied via audi but they are sticking to their guns APA also known as automobile protection association have had many unhappy customers

Looking at elsawin, the sensor can be removed without having to remove the belt, there is a bolt which holds the sensor in should be tightened to 10 nm just below the sensor is a small rubber gromet which needs to be removed, unplug the sensor connection and feed the plug through the hole where the grommet used to be. refit in reverse order... So looking at elsawin it could be done in 30min

Should have added you need to remove the top toothed belt guard first which is clipped in place.

Last edited:
cheers for that i'll be on to audi and the warranty company in the morning im just being told different estimations, audi and the garage thats had my car say 3-4 hours and the warranty company say 30min.

Do i take the tech and mechanics estimation that work on cars on a daily basis or someone thats sat on a chair answering phones all day thats reading from a booklet and prob has no mechanical experience either way i'll prob end up paying out as most warranties arnt worth the paper they are printed on.

APA warranty company AVOID at all cost

Just had mine replaced and I had Rac Audi assist out. He told me that it was a very big job on some of the diesel's as the intercooler had to be removed along with a whole host of other parts. My friend who's a mech looked up the total time on autodata, and for my engine which is the 2ltr alt petrol engine it was 0.7hrs. So all he had to do was remove the engine cowling and move the coolant overflow bottle to get access to the clips holding on the wiring. Then he removed the sensor from underneath. Easy peasy he said.

Sorry for the earlier post. I thought you meant the crankshaft position sensor. I think your warranty company have made the same mistake as me and haven't realized that it's the camshaft position sensor.