AH FabricationsSky Insurance
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul B7
  • 1 Post By adamss24

Thread: Can you remove the oil pump without an engine lift?

Reverse Gear

Status

Can you remove the oil pump without an engine lift?

Hey guys,

I'm proactively changing the 77mm to a 100mm hex with balancer shafts.

2 questions:

1) If the hex are just worn can I get away with just fitting a new hex without the balancer shafts?

2) Can this be done without the requirement for a lift?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    infact a better questions would be can you replace the hex without replace the shafts? and can the 100mm fit in the 77mm's place without modification?

6th Gear

Status
    Nope to most of your questions ! You can remove the subframe but it will throw all suspension geometry out ! The hex can be replaced without taking the balancer shaft off- there's a circlip holding it in but you need a special puller that screws into the shaft- you will understand when you buy your replacement hex drive !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

6th Gear

Status

FOR SALE:
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Those are some of the scariest pictures I've ever seen, LOL
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

Reverse Gear

Status
    mine hasn't failed yet, as i said its just a proactive measure. But is it the 6mm Hex that wears or the balance shaft aswell? Can i get away with just replacing the 6mm hex and run that for another 50k miles?

Looks like a bit of a job! I'm thinking of selling the car now

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi The hex key is hardend steel so wears out slower than the balance shaft, the balance shaft takes most of the wear as it is only mild steel.
    My advise would be to renew both parts, if you do this using the later 100mm key and balance shaft and not the 77mm key and shaft which yours will have, the wear problem will never arise

Thanks

KMB Parts Direct

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post

Now here is someone who does know what he is doing. I liked seeing these pictures when they were first posted and they still make me look in awe . Good job well done if my memory serves me correct.
    jdp1962 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    I wished i took more snaps to be honest Paul but greasy fingers and digi cameras don't mix too well ! That's nothing mate, you should see when i rebuild engines, my garden and drive are like a garage shop ! Here's a few pictures- sorry for the hijack :

jdp1962 likes this.
    FOR SALE:

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Paul is right; these pictures are awe-inspiring. But I still find them scary as well. I don't think I'd ever want to see my car looking like that.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

6th Gear

Status
    Them cars are just nuts and bolts and they are designed to come apart...one way ore the other!
    FOR SALE:

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Paul is right; these pictures are awe-inspiring. But I still find them scary as well. I don't think I'd ever want to see my car looking like that.
    My car has been like that but fortunately I wasn't there to see it...............bloody oil pumps !

3rd Gear

Status
    forum member llamamoo does the oil pump drive ,thats who/where i got mine from .