• 3 Post By Broken Byzan
  • 2 Post By NHN
  • 1 Post By GarJE
  • 1 Post By jdp1962

Thread: Left my ECU cover off - now I think the rain has shorted it ll

Grumpy Old Man

Status

Left my ECU cover off - now I think the rain has shorted it ll

I took the ECU cover off yesterday, in anticipation of feeding an ignition live for my DRLs either today or Saturday. I've just been woken by my car alarm going off. Further inspection reveals the central locking electrics are playing up and when I try to start it, it just clicks furiously. It's pouring with rain, and when I managed to unlock it and check under the bonnet, of course it's covered with water.

now I'm worried I've really damaged something.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Short Back

Status

Double post.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Short Back

Status

Use kitchen towel and mop it as dry as you can, then reach for a heat gun or hair dryer! Then put a couple of those silica bags (the ones you get with new shoes) in there & seal it with a sandwich bag & tape for 24 hours to draw out any moisture\condensation.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Thanks, Artimus

I managed to stuff some towels over it in the dark. The siren stopped, and some the interior electrics (lights and central locking) appeared to return after a few minutes. The alarm has been quiet for two and a half hours now, but I think I heard the fan whirring for a while. Meanwhile, it has stopped raining. My garage is only half a mile away, so have emailed them to ask for help as soon as they open at 8am.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

3rd Gear

Status
    Hope it's not terminal and easily sorted mate. 5 mins to remove ecu cover. Who are you kidding? I gave up after 10 last time I tried lol. (Admittedly I'm not very mechanically minded though)

We all make mistakes at some point and its nice to just get straight forward help when we do. Without someone pointing out the obvious error

P.s with the others or drying it out. I did see packing in a bag full of dried rice sometimes helps with wet electrical goods if you haven't got any moisture beads.
    jdp1962 and Amason007 like this.
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

Now have genuine VCDS in North Norfolk

Neutral

Status
    Hey i know about a water logged ecu, it never did recover, and it cost near on to 1500 to replace and code, not a audi but still not very nice, hope all is well with yours.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I've just examined it in daylight. The battery is in total shutdown (or possible completely drained flat). I can unlock the driver's door and boot with the key, but everything else is dead. I checked the footwells, no moisture there, so hopefully no damage to the convenience module. Now to see if the garage can collect it.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    I've just examined it in daylight. The battery is in total shutdown (or possible completely drained flat). I can unlock the driver's door and boot with the key, but everything else is dead. I checked the footwells, no moisture there, so hopefully no damage to the convenience module. Now to see if the garage can collect it.
    Fingers crossed all turns out OK.
    jdp1962 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Of course not. What I did hope for was constructive suggestions on how to deal with the situation, much like those from Artimus and you. GarJE's initial contribution offered nothing like that, just a laugh at my expense. I didn't think this forum was about that.
    Correct Jeff,

You share your experiences with others so that it may help them in the future. We all make mistakes and this may help others in the future not to do the same. Thats what I thought the forums was all about!

Andy
    marky67 likes this.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Bad times Jeff, I hope you get it sorted.

I've tidied the unhelpful posts out of the thread.
    jdp1962, NHN, Amason007 and 1 others like this.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post

Thanks, James, much appreciated. It's good to know who your friends are.

I have some progress to report. Sanspeed pitched up about 11.15am, put a booster on the battery, and it started straight away. I drove it the half a mile to their premises, and all seemed normal. The locking worked, the warning lights all cleared, the radio and climate worked (I immediately switched them off, though), to save juice.

It's now with Sanspeed until Monday. They have started the process of drying out the electrics, and that will be ongoing over the weekend. Meanwhile, this afternoon, they are fitting the new exhaust tips to the back boxes. On Monday, once they're satisfied the electrics are OK, they'll clear the stored faults, and then install the DRLs.

So as there's no car for me over the weekend, I plan to make a virtue out of a necessity and drink a shedload of beer. If nothing else, it'll take my mind off the credit card bill I'll be facing come Monday.

When I do eventually get it back, I'll be posting pics from both ends!

4th Gear

Status
    Good result Jeff. These things happen. Enjoy the beer.
    Amason007 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Nice one mate, glad to hear its ok. Know the feeling on the credit card side. Gotta put my repairs on mine . I really should learn to start saving in future. The misses has put me on a spending ban now
    Amason007 likes this.
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

Now have genuine VCDS in North Norfolk

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks, James, much appreciated. It's good to know who your friends are.

I have some progress to report. Sanspeed pitched up about 11.15am, put a booster on the battery, and it started straight away. I drove it the half a mile to their premises, and all seemed normal. The locking worked, the warning lights all cleared, the radio and climate worked (I immediately switched them off, though), to save juice.

It's now with Sanspeed until Monday. They have started the process of drying out the electrics, and that will be ongoing over the weekend. Meanwhile, this afternoon, they are fitting the new exhaust tips to the back boxes. On Monday, once they're satisfied the electrics are OK, they'll clear the stored faults, and then install the DRLs.

So as there's no car for me over the weekend, I plan to make a virtue out of a necessity and drink a shedload of beer. If nothing else, it'll take my mind off the credit card bill I'll be facing come Monday.

When I do eventually get it back, I'll be posting pics from both ends!
    All looking good then thankfully Jeff

Now you have Sanspeed fitting the DRL's for you, does that make me redundant

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Amason007 View Post
    All looking good then thankfully Jeff

Now you have Sanspeed fitting the DRL's for you, does that make me redundant
    In the words of Sralan Sugar, "you're fired!"

No worries, mate, once it's all back together, we'll do the same and compare lighting. Anyway, aren't you getting a flat-bottomed wheel from His Royal Nigelness today?
    Last edited by jdp1962; 13th September 2013 at 16:12.
    NHN, Sandra and Amason007 like this.

1st Gear

Status
    In the words of Sralan Sugar, "you're fired!"

No worries, mate, once it's all back together, we'll do the same and compare lighting. Anyway, aren't you getting a flat-borttomoed wheel from His Royal Nigelness today?
    PMSL.

Yes Nigel has just called me to say all completed. He has also fitted electric folding mirrors as well. Will get some pic's up tomorrow, as the Mrs is taking the car to work now.

Cheers,

Andy
    NHN likes this.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Shame you quoted me before I'd fixed the typos.

1st Gear

Status
    Shame you quoted me before I'd fixed the typos.
    We all make mistakes..........
    quattrojames likes this.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    All jokes aside, this could easily happen to anyone. Lets hope Jeff's beasty is ok and learn from this unfortunate incedent

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post

Well done James, I read this early doors & tbh was disgusted by the attitude of 2 members, absolutely disgraceful attitude towards Jeff, totally undeserved.

I'll read the thread again now to ascertain updates, but happy to see them removed
    jdp1962 and quattrojames like this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    I apologise for my initial post. My second however was fully justified and contained quite helpful and relevant advice. This was also deleted.

Thank you.

I shall continue to gleen information from this site but no longer post. Keep those DRL's and LED's burnin'.
    jdp1962 likes this.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GarJE View Post
    I apologise for my initial post. My second however was fully justified and contained quite helpful and relevant advice. This was also deleted.

Thank you.

I shall continue to gleen information from this site but no longer post. Keep those DRL's and LED's burnin'.
    No worries, bud, it was the middle of the night and a bit fraught all round.
    Amason007 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    And the resolution of this story is here
    A4 B7 Cabrio 2007 2.0 TDi Black "Sport"