Pistons and rods question - bore out?

Craig Cull

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As you know my k04 build is on going, with the expense getting greater daily im making sure ive left no stone unturned. Mainly because I want this build to last. So after a re think I've decided I'm gonna uprate the rods and pistons, especially with the mileage on the engine, I don't wana throw a lot of my hard earned cash at it, to then blow it to smithereens in a heart beat. That simply is not an option. I'd like to do this once and do it rite.

First of all, what size piston do I need for the standard unit, secondly can I bore it out? If I've got it in bits, surely this isn't a bad idea?

The more the merrier really and alll the relevant Information will be very much appreciated. Needless to say the finishing date has increased, but the end result should be a definite 1 off. Cheers guys :)

If your sticking with the KO4 "drop-in-rods" should suffice. Stick with the std pistons but get the rings etc changed when the work is done. I would recommend using the Integrated Engineering rods and getting them riffle drilled too.
Forged Con-Rod for 2.0TFSi - JBS

Thanks Solaris, I've been looking at these. They are nearly £400 cheaper than the APR variant. Rings only? Is not worth doing the pistons aswell? I've allowed for the cost of the replacement pistons. The engines done 100k, I really only wana do this once. Thanks for your reply

there decent rods
iv used 3 sets never a problem
i cant see any problem with useing the oem pistons its the rods that are the weak point on this engine

there decent rods
iv used 3 sets never a problem
i cant see any problem with useing the oem pistons its the rods that are the weak point on this engine

what if I want to go further tho? Ie garret gt30? Coz I have a feeling that this project isn't gonna end early. I'm gonna get bored and want more so I wana be prepared. I know it's early days but my heavy right foot is gonna want more in the long run

i was on gt30 in the black a4
and thats still going good 40k after
and it got booted every where with me and with the new owner

or bite the bullet and get jbs to do one of there full rebuilds,

what in reality are you aiming for ?

i was on gt30 in the black a4
and thats still going good 40k after
and it got booted every where with me and with the new owner

or bite the bullet and get jbs to do one of there full rebuilds,

what in reality are you aiming for ?

to be honest, the sky is the limit. I'm keeping this for good now and intend on pushing it to 450bhp - 500bhp if achievable

im not sure about the 500
as the fuel system on this car is restricted
the intanks got a ecu that runs it and as far as i know never been able to make it flo enough juice
i know of one car running over 500hp in the usa with a full new fueling system and cost a good few $$$ to do
iv done 3 big turbos first 1 2 and half years ago k04 hybrid 390hp nothing more
gt30 and a K04 gt30 was around the 390 again anything above was fucl cuts like mad.
unless they have sorted the intank and ecu
to be honest i know APR are good but JBS are **** hot aswell

im not sure about the 500
as the fuel system on this car is restricted
the intanks got a ecu that runs it and as far as i know never been able to make it flo enough juice
i know of one car running over 500hp in the usa with a full new fueling system and cost a good few $$$ to do
iv done 3 big turbos first 1 2 and half years ago k04 hybrid 390hp nothing more
gt30 and a K04 gt30 was around the 390 again anything above was fucl cuts like mad.
unless they have sorted the intank and ecu
to be honest i know APR are good but JBS are **** hot aswell

so basically I'm gonna struggle to break 400bhp. I'll just do the rods and rings then and just see how I get on. To be honest, 400 is enough, but I know I'm gonna want more. What about a 100 hp shot of nitrous?

i wouldnt on the FSIT not heard anything good about it and was told by the tuners that i use not to bother
but WM is good for it aslong as its mapped in right

i wouldnt on the FSIT not heard anything good about it and was told by the tuners that i use not to bother
but WM is good for it aslong as its mapped in right

ok, I'll just aim for the 400 then. Do the rods, rings valves belt and water pump. Any recommendations on head gasket? Or am I safe staying OEM?

i stayed oem
have a read up on devils own water meth but if you go for it get the controler aswell
and as big a tank as you can get
works very well with the FSIT

Fsit? My mates told me a lot about watermeth. Does it make a big difference?

2,0Tfsi

yes its good to have