Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    2nd Gear

Status

Sorry completly non Audi question

Hi guys, sorry but totally run out of ideas here.....ive just bought my mum a 53 plate cooper s, the central locking isn't working via the remote key button, but central locking fine with key being turned in the lock
    i've followed all the suggested methods ive found on google and Mini forums press the lock button 3 times then the unlock etc etc but they dont work!
    Does anyone know of someone in the Norfolk/Suffolk area that may be able to re sync the key to the car???

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Does the remote need a new battery?
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Does the remote need a new battery?
    I have tried that but may be worth another change??

4th Gear

Status
    Tried pressing buttons with the key in the ignition??
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

Now have genuine VCDS in North Norfolk

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rizzini7 View Post
    Tried pressing buttons with the key in the ignition??
    No buddy....tried turning the ignition on then off again, within 10 sec press unlock 3 times etc etc

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffy View Post
    No buddy....tried turning the ignition on then off again, within 10 sec press unlock 3 times etc etc
    Just tried it.....no joy

2nd Gear

Status
    You'll need a new key from the dealer.. got the same issue with my B7 when i bought it.. it turned out to be a broken key. the chip/mechanism inside has broke and couldn't send a signal to the central locking system.

Proud owner of a:
    2.0T FSI quattro A4 S-line (saloon)
    Build thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/192911-just-another-build-thread.html

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffy View Post
    I had a similar issue on my wifes Yaris when I replaced the batteries in the key fob. The answer was to disconnect the car battery for two minutes , reconnect and BINGO !
    Not sure what happens but I guess the ecu resets itself somehow. Good luck.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B7 View Post
    I had a similar issue on my wifes Yaris when I replaced the batteries in the key fob. The answer was to disconnect the car battery for two minutes , reconnect and BINGO !
    Not sure what happens but I guess the ecu resets itself somehow. Good luck.
    Thanks Paul ! I'll give that one a try. I read that the micro switches can fail inside the key. Found a service on eBay that will refurb the key with new switches , not sure if I'm comfortable sending the only key we have off in the post!

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add GeoffDunk on Facebook
    PM sent.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

6th Gear

Status
    3 button remote coded manually - Ignition into first position, or ignition ON, then remove key and press the unlock button and keep it pressed. Press locking button 3 times and release both buttons.

2 button remotes are coded diagnostically, by an auto locksmith/dealer etc

You are not local otherwise id help, all i can suggest is test the function of the remote if you can at a timpson or similar key cutting shop, if there is no function with a new battery then try replacing the buttons if damaged, or maybe a new remote.

A good auto locksmith could provide a new remote key, but iirc the immobiliser and remote are on the same board so its not going to be cheap!

Sorry I cant be of any more assistance!
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

2nd Gear

Status
    in a nice small & quiet village on outskirts of huddersfield!!

My Social Networking

Add craigynett on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM.S View Post
    You'll need a new key from the dealer.. got the same issue with my B7 when i bought it.. it turned out to be a broken key. the chip/mechanism inside has broke and couldn't send a signal to the central locking system.
    not true! there's plenty of people other than the dealers that have the equipment & are capable of doing these keys. They use the BMW EWS system. The transponder is separate to remote PCB & both are programmed in separately. With most aftermarket equipment the EWS immob module has to be removed from the car & the transponder programmed directly into it via eeprom. Then the 3 button remote is programmed with the manual procedure @udi_a3 mentioned. The 2 button remotes are programmed diagnostically using a barcode that comes with new key

The batteries on these are also rechargeable & charge whilst in the ignition. The longest part of the job is removing the EWS module as it's fastened up above the pedals with anti tamper nuts so are a bit awkward to remove but can 100% be done
    Last edited by craigynett; 5th September 2013 at 10:39.
    Please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business/services on the forum

6th Gear

Status
    So the remote can be replaced without touching the immo? I read they were on the same board, must be a different system, this is why I dont touch BMW, so confusing!
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

with genuine 3 button BMW/Mini keys the transponder is on the PCB unlike aftermarket keys. Not sure about the 2 button genuine keys as never looked inside 1 but again with aftermarket versions the transponder is separate.

This is all just for the older EWS system. The newer CAS system is different. Transponder & remote program together by eeprom with aftermarket equipment. BMW/Mini come with 4 keys programmed into the system but only 2 are actually made. So when a customer requests a new key they just program the new key in the factory with info stored on database for say key no3. Then when the customer comes to collect it from the stealers it works straight away as it's id is already stored in the immob from when the car was built
    Last edited by craigynett; 5th September 2013 at 10:49.
    Please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business/services on the forum

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for your help guys, So just to clarify..... i have the two button key with the transponder fitted in the fob casing.....am i right in think that no form of internet based procedure ie.... turn key in ignition, press the lock button 3 times then press unlock etc etc will get this key to work remotely ????
    Do i need to find someone with the correct equipment to code it back??

6th Gear

Status
    Correct, and as you can see, whilst I can provide keys for some car, BMW/MINI are not my thing! Craigynett does sem to know a bit more about this than me maybe he can point you in the right direction? pm him.

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

correct, 2 button remotes have to be programmed diagnostically with the barcode that came with it from new. I'm yet to meet a Mini owner who's car uses 2 button remote that still has the barcode. New 2 button remotes come with barcode for programming.