• 1 Post By Mr-C
  • 1 Post By jdp1962

Thread: 3.0 tdi quattro owners question

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Craig Cull's Youtube Channel

3.0 tdi quattro owners question

Hi guys, after 2 and a half years of my dad worshiping my car, he now decided he wants a b7.

with him being the car enthusiast that he is, he likes todo his home work. Or shoulda say he likes me to the homework lol!

he lives in the sticks and in the winter it gets pretty bad when the snow arrives. Withhim not being local a diesel is his only viable option. He wants either the 170 quattro s line or the 3.0 tdi quattro s line. I've found most or nearly all of the 3.0 tdi quattro's are all auto's..... What are these like in the snow? The quattro is the main selling point so I don't want him to end up with the only quattro that's sh*t in the snow. My 2.0t fsi quattro is brilliant, but its a manual. I'd like to think I've exhausted every option for him, after all its my fault he's chosen this route lol!

Any honest opinions would be great

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I have a 3.0TDi Quattro Automatic. It is an absolutely brilliant combination. Massive torque and power combined with smooth seamless gearchanges. Outstanding in the snow. Pop it into drive at idling speed and watch as it just creeps forward whilst everyone else around you is slithering and spinning around.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

6th Gear

Status
    Get a manual at all costs ! Your father might think otherwise though...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    I have a 3.0TDi Quattro Automatic. It is an absolutely brilliant combination. Massive torque and power combined with smooth seamless gearchanges. Outstanding in the snow. Pop it into drive at idling speed and watch as it just creeps forward whilst everyone else around you is slithering and spinning around.
    Excellent mate, aslong as its good in the snow that's the main thing coz it gets real bad where he is! But he loves a v6 and especially the economy figures for so much torque!
    K04 hybrid turbo. S3 injectors, Autotech hpfp internals, RS4 fuel pressure regulator, custom FMIC, APR carbonio intake, decat pipe, milltek cat back non resonated 100mm tips, unicorn developments custom remap, launch control and flat shift. Valet mode, economy map and full power map options. Stage 3 southbend clutch with single mass flywheel, Eibach pro street coilovers, eibach front and rear anti roll bars, porsche cayenne 6 pot calipers front, S4 rear brake conversion.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    Get a manual at all costs ! Your father might think otherwise though...
    I think either way if he had the option he would go manual, but he just likes the look of the car and couldn't believe you could have such a nice car that will get through snow without having a land rover. As much as he's a driver, he loves economy for the long drive over to see me and the family etc. I've not seen a manual 3.0 tdi, do they exist?
    K04 hybrid turbo. S3 injectors, Autotech hpfp internals, RS4 fuel pressure regulator, custom FMIC, APR carbonio intake, decat pipe, milltek cat back non resonated 100mm tips, unicorn developments custom remap, launch control and flat shift. Valet mode, economy map and full power map options. Stage 3 southbend clutch with single mass flywheel, Eibach pro street coilovers, eibach front and rear anti roll bars, porsche cayenne 6 pot calipers front, S4 rear brake conversion.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by craigcull View Post
    I've not seen a manual 3.0 tdi, do they exist?
    They certainly do; a couple of members here have them, and they and I have had long healthy debates about the merits of the two transmissions!
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

They certainly do; a couple of members here have them, and they and I have had long healthy debates about the merits of the two transmissions!
    Great stuff, at least the two are a healthy option, any horror stories with the engine or anything else for that matter? Anything I should be watching out for?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Great stuff, at least the two are a healthy option, any horror stories with the engine or anything else for that matter? Anything I should be watching out for?
    The engines are generally pretty robust. I sem to recall reading recently that early ones (04-05 or thereabouts) had a bit of a weakness in the camshaft chain drive - in fact I think it might have been adamss24 who said this, and he definitely knows these things.

The other issue is the inlet manifold swirl flap assembly, which wears loose and slopppy over time. It doesn't effect the running very much (very small drop off in torque) but it will cause the engine light to come on. It used to be the only way to fix it was to replace the entire manifold assembly (roughly £700 per side at Audi dealer rates) but there are now cheap and cheerful repair kits available.

Overall, though, it is a strong engine.
    Last edited by jdp1962; 31st August 2013 at 00:24.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

The engines are generally pretty robust. I sem to recall reading recently that early ones (04-05 of thereabouts) had a bit of a weakness in the camshaft chain drive - in fact I think it might have been adamss24 who said this, and he definitely knows these things.

The other issues is the inlet manifold swirl flap assembly, which wears loose and slopppy over time. It doesn't effect the running very much (very small drop off in torque) but it will cause the engine light to come on. It used to be the only way to fix it was to replace the entire manifold assembly (roughly £700 per side at Audi dealer rates) but there are now cheap and cheerful repair kits available.

Overall, though, it is a strong engine.
    Was there any recognition of these faults through an Audi TPI? That's not too bad really, I expected more faults than that. But I guess everything has its faults, sounds like good option. What are they like mileage wise? Would you say away from a high mileage one? Or is this not really an issue for a big diesel?

Neutral

Status
    Just a few points on quattro's in the snow -- tyres the standard fit no tread tyres ( just rubber rings with virtually no cut out treads ) are hopeless on ice and snow compared with tyres from a few years ago . The other issue is ground clearance -- on 3 or 4" of snow the cars ( s-line ) will just sit in there belly and all 4 wheels will just spin even on the flat . I had the indignity of having to be towed in April this year on the flat ! Car A4 170 tdi q !
    Budget for a set of winter tyres its essential these day as summer tyres are lethal now .

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Was there any recognition of these faults through an Audi TPI? That's not too bad really, I expected more faults than that. But I guess everything has its faults, sounds like good option. What are they like mileage wise? Would you say away from a high mileage one? Or is this not really an issue for a big diesel?
    Mine is a 57-plate on 83,000 and feels totally solid. I've had the manifold flap problem occur on the driver's side, but that's all.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by gradwells View Post
    Just a few points on quattro's in the snow -- tyres the standard fit no tread tyres ( just rubber rings with virtually no cut out treads ) are hopeless on ice and snow compared with tyres from a few years ago . The other issue is ground clearance -- on 3 or 4" of snow the cars ( s-line ) will just sit in there belly and all 4 wheels will just spin even on the flat . I had the indignity of having to be towed in April this year on the flat ! Car A4 170 tdi q !
    Budget for a set of winter tyres its essential these day as summer tyres are lethal now .
    Thanks for that mate, point taken. I think if it gets that deep he won't bother anyway, but any improvement on a front or rear wheel drive will do

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Mine is a 57-plate on 83,000 and feels totally solid. I've had the manifold flap problem occur on the driver's side, but that's all.
    Sound so its a fairly reliable engine then. Aslong as I have a few points to watch for, to at least avoid the expense, or recognise if the previous owner has had it done already

1st Gear

Status
    if he wants a quattro B7 manual diesel - maybe get the 2.7tdi ?

just another option...

goose
    Current:
    '08 Carbon Black BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport|Full white interior bulb kit|White LED Halos|De-badged
    '72 Sunburst Yellow VW Karmann Ghia Coupe - 1641cc|Engle 110 Cam|Weber 34 Carb|dropped spindles|Porsche 911 black leather interior

Past:
    '06 Phantom Black Pearl Audi B7 S4 - Milltek non res|BMC Panel|034 25mm RARB|SuperPro poly bushes|Apikol poly Snub|H&R Springs|H&R 10mm rear spacers|LCR Splitter|R8 caps|JCap|RS4 Pedals|EBC D/G disks & yellow pads|HEL brake lines|White sides/DRLs|De-tango'd

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g00se View Post
    if he wants a quattro B7 manual diesel - maybe get the 2.7tdi ?

just another option...

goose
    I might be wrong, but I seem to recall the A4 2.7TDi wasn't available as a Quattro.
    Last edited by jdp1962; 30th August 2013 at 13:46.

Reverse Gear

Status
    i have a manual 3.0tdo quattro, and its been amazing tbh, very happy, only small annoyance is first gear is pretty short and i would also watch out on the 2.7tdi the road tax can be very expensive.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    x2 on the first gear being too short. The launch from a manual transmission is addictive believe me.

Craig Cull likes this.

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I didn't even know they did a 2.7 tdi, think there a bit more expensive as none came up in the search.
    So overall good reviews then! That's good news! Think he mite choose the auto just for the fact that you don't need to put a clutch in. But ill pass on the reviews! Cheers guys, you have been most helpful

5th Gear

Status
    If I had my time again I'd be having a 3.0TDI auto. Don't get me wrong, my remapped 2.0 TFSI is great fun but the creamy power of the 3.0TDI/auto combo really appeals now. I just couldn't find a good one when I was looking and I'm not very patient. Ho hum.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by scotty76 View Post
    If I had my time again I'd be having a 3.0TDI auto. Don't get me wrong, my remapped 2.0 TFSI is great fun but the creamy power of the 3.0TDI/auto combo really appeals now. I just couldn't find a good one when I was looking and I'm not very patient. Ho hum.
    Ill be honest, I very nearly bought a 3.0 tdi Quattro myself. But spotted the special edition and had to have it lol

1st Gear

Status
    I've not seen a manual 3.0 tdi, do they exist?
    I have a 2007 Manual and I had to search for it. I wanted a late B7 3.0 TDI S Line Avant in red and a manual took me about 3 months but found one in the end. I'll rave about this car till the cows come home, stonking performance and returns a decent MPG. I have the manifold fail but cost me £9 for the repair kit from Audi
    V6 Quatt likes this.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-C View Post
    I have a 2007 Manual and I had to search for it. I wanted a late B7 3.0 TDI S Line Avant in red and a manual took me about 3 months but found one in the end. I'll rave about this car till the cows come home, stonking performance and returns a decent MPG. I have the manifold fail but cost me £9 for the repair kit from Audi
    If that's the price of the repair kit then its sounds to me like a no brainer! I've had loads more to replace on my 2.0t fsi alone, so it sounds like we could be onto a winner! I'd just hate to point him in the direction of a troublesome car, so I'm making sure the homework is complete lol!

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Does anybody know if these are on a cam belt or a chain. Where off to look at a 233bhp manual this week with 76k on. If all pans out my dads probably gonna buy it. Any info on service intervals etc?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Does anybody know if these are on a cam belt or a chain. Where off to look at a 233bhp manual this week with 76k on. If all pans out my dads probably gonna buy it. Any info on service intervals etc?
    They're chain-driven. Service intervals can either be fixed interval (i.e. annual) or variable up to a maximum of two years if the car is on the Audi Variable Servicing (AVS) system. The car can be programmed for either fixed or variable, so if you don't fancy 2 year service intervals, you can switch it to annual.
    Craig Cull likes this.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

They're chain-driven.
    Thanks mate