Air con woes!!

Tim@G

Reaction score
Ok, so since ive had my car the air con hasnt worked. Car is 2005 tdi 140 sline avant.

Recently it started with the famous rattly compressor clutch so yesterday my pops fitted an brand new compressor and clutch assembly. Re gassed and although it now sounds silent, still no cold. So today I managed to source a new pressure sensor from my local dealer because no one else had one. Fitted, and you guessed it, still no cold.

Dad emptied the system of gas vacced it out and refilled for the second time. Still no cold.

So where now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as were off to the south of France next sunday and it would be nice to get it working by then.

It was scanned with my mates snap on fault reader and showed no faults. The econ button is bot stuck on and works as it should

sounds like a leak?
i take it you regassed it yourself?
i would go to kwikfit and get it regassed there, and if it will not charge up they do not bill you!
that will rule out the leak possibility.
if it does charge up, then you have other issues! probably the evaporation cooler maybe.
does your pipes get very cold?

Did you change the drier?

I know someone who changed compressor/pressure sensor/regassed but did not change drier. From looking at pressures in refrigerant circuit it seems he has a blockage in drier ...

No DTC's / ECON light not stuck on but when we viewed measuring blocks for compressor we could see compressor engaging and the refrigerant circuit pressure was rising to over 29bar and compressor would cut out ...

Here is video, note when compressor cut from high circuit pressure how voltage to N280 valve is cut as that actuates running of compressor ...

Here is my car's AC fully functioning ...

Both cars were 2005 A6 (4F) ... if VCDS does not give you MVB's data perhaps a check of the circuit via gauges?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CHEZ
The drier hasnt been changed.

Over the last couple of days the air con has worked of sorts. On Saturday after the new pressure sensor was fitted the system was vacced and regassed an still nothing. Then Saturday nightvthe mrs was out in the car and she said she heard a sort of pop noise then it started running cold. Happy days.

Sunday it was kind of working but not cold like it should then on monday it was just blowing high speed ambient air at me.

Your symptoms match my acquaintances ... he is getting drier changed will let you know how it goes ...

Last edited: