As the title says, I had all of the above...... however not anymore!
Audi A4 S-line Diesel 170
This is my first official post on the forums although I have regularly read existing ones. It's more of a thanks rather than a question as I finally have the car running like it used to.... which to be honest, I forgot how good it could be.
Thank you audi-sport.net and to all the people who contribute their knowledge and experience.
As the title suggests I had all sorts of problems.
1) Juddering: - It hasn't done this for a while it happened more in the winter months. You could feel the whole engine vibrating, probably the symptoms of a bad engine mount.
2) No power over 3K: - Sometimes I couldn't even get beyond 3K which may have been limp mode. If it wasn't in limp mode then it just wouldn't go over 3.5k period.
3) No performance: - Apart from the fact I couldn't get beyond 3.5 it would take it's time getting there.
4) Bad Idle and shaking: - Sitting at traffic lights was a shake shake situation.
5) Occasionally slow starting: - Not a huge amount 2-3 seconds whereas it used to start instantly.
In short I cleaned the EGR Valve and put in a new fuel filter. The car is now a car I forgot we had, it pulls like a train and goes like a rocket. It actually caught me off guard on the road test but put a rather large smile on my face and made me shout a rude word!
Ultimately it was the fuel filter at fault and was causing the main problem. It wasn’t changed that long ago, well probably longer than I thought. I think a case of supermarket fuel and pottering around town, (the missis uses it mainly), doesn’t help.
Euro Car Parts are currently doing 50% so it cost me £11! Bargain!
The EGR clean however has dramatically improved low end performance and the idle and shaking issues. I didn’t use the new gaskets I bought from Audi, I used the existing ones. The main reason is due to the amount of crud I could see in the inside of the inlet manifold so will take that off over the weekend and put the new gaskets on then.
Also the pipe that comes off the EGR that runs down to the back of the engine looked pretty built up as well. I’m not too sure how easy it will be to get to the other end but if it’s possible then I’ll clean that out as well.
Because of the lack of performance due to the fuel filter it probably hasn’t been getting the “blasts” it needs to help clear out the system. I will certainly give it a good run before taking it all apart again, with a bit of luck it may clear it a bit.
I’ll update the progress on this as it may be as useful as other threads have been useful to me.