A4 B7 2.0 TFSi - DV Noise

Danny-boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since I bought my car, I noticed what I assume to be a noisy diverter valve.

Assumed it was split, so changed to a rev D. Power jumped hugely, but the noise is still apparent.

The noise in question is a fast ticking / whirring noise when revs are dropping. It happens when driving and stationary, and is only audible with the windows down.

I have just fitted a BSR Optiflow induction kit, and the sound is still rather annoying - more apparent today as I was testing the BSR with the windows down.

Questions........

1. From what I have read, the noise is normal. Anybody else experience this?

2. Would an aftermarket DV sort this out? If so, which one?

I'm not after a loud dump valve or anything like that, the more silent the better.

Cheers

Dan

the 2.0fsit can sound derv like
but then again ot could be the chain makeing the noise

i had a ticking on mine for ages changed loads of parts ended up been the inlet mani.

Am wae Bez on this....the 2.0t engine are noisey f#ckers!...am pretty sure a new DV wouldn't cure any rattle as such. Probably hear the rattles more as a result of you fitting the induction kit too. Can you upload a YT clip....and I can compare it to my rattler for reference if you like.

Cheers
A

Hi gents, thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure how to post up a soundclip, I just recorded it with my iphone and it's in an M4a format.

I can email it if you PM me your email address.

Sorry to be a pain.

Dan

Listened to your sound clip Danny and my car never sounded like that with it's knackered DV. Sorry I can't give you anymore than that. Perhaps someone else will be able to help with this one.

Good Luck
A

Thanks Molnboman, appreciate you taking a listen.

It's been like that since I bought it 9 months ago, so I'd like to get to the bottom of it and solve it if possible.

I changed the DV about 8 weeks ago and the noise didn't change, so I'm not surprised its not DV related.

Thanks again.

Anybody else have a view?

Thanks Molnboman, appreciate you taking a listen.

It's been like that since I bought it 9 months ago, so I'd like to get to the bottom of it and solve it if possible.

I changed the DV about 8 weeks ago and the noise didn't change, so I'm not surprised its not DV related.

Thanks again.

Anybody else have a view?

hi Danny, just to confirm really that mine never sounded like that either. But to me it sounds more like chain slap of some sort. I would be tempted to get the chain and tensioner done sooner rather than later. Sounds like the tensioner isn't taking up the slack. All I found with the bsr Optiflow was just more intake sound. Nothing like the sound lip I've just played. It's worth getting it done just to illiminate it from any enquiries.

Cheers Craig, appreciate our discussion.

Anybody else agree with cam chain slap?

Can I chuck in my tuppence worth again.....I didn't look at your earlier posts...was the sound there before the open filter?....Cause to me it just sounds like an engine with an open air flow. My Saab Aero had a BSR optiflow fitted and the engine sounded just like that.

BR
A

Can I chuck in my tuppence worth again.....I didn't look at your earlier posts...was the sound there before the open filter?....Cause to me it just sounds like an engine with an open air flow. My Saab Aero had a BSR optiflow fitted and the engine sounded just like that.

BR
A

Hi, yes the sound was there before the BSR, and it's still the same.

The only reason I mentioned it was because I was driving with the window down to hear what the BSR sounded like which made the noise more obvious.

Having done more reading, I'm not the first to have this sound. Others have had it exactly the same.

Their conclusion was wastegate actuator rod or N75 valve. In the case of the WAR, it's fixed by a new turbo!!!

The only reason I mentioned it was because I was driving with the window down to hear what the BSR sounded like which made the noise more obvious.

Having done more reading, I'm not the first to have this sound. Others have had it exactly the same.

Their conclusion was wastegate actuator rod or N75 valve. In the case of the WAR, it's fixed by a new turbo!!!

Oh, ok Danny.....but a Turbo as a fix.....Jaysus, you wanna make sure that's gonna fix it.....but saying that, it's not the most expensive part to buy or fix in the big scheme of things....but it does take up a good few beer tokens!

Good Luck,
A

Had mine done at the dealers still sounds like a diesel when warm

To be fair mine also still sounds like a diesel, but that's just the nature of the engine. It quietened down by 30% with the new chain and tensioner.

Did you ever get this fixed Danny?

To the op, did you ever get to the bottom of the issue?

Mine is the same as what your describing, I'm pretty certain its not the turbo, it would have shat itself by now.

Could it be the chain and tensioner?