Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By NHN
  • 1 Post By bez101
  • 1 Post By PetrolDave

Thread: Side indicators and DIS

Grumpy Old Man

Status

Side indicators and DIS

Are the side indicators connected to the bulb failure monitoring function of the DIS?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Indicators would flash quicker if bulb issue detected
    jdp1962 likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Indicators would flash quicker if bulb issue detected
    Thanks, Nigel. The reason I'm asking is that if I fitted LEDs, would I need error cancellors or resistors to avoid getting bulb error warnings?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    the wing ones wont show up on DIS or make others flash fast
    iv removed them or a few B7's
    jdp1962 likes this.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    Cheers, Bez.

6th Gear

Status
    As they're only 5W bulbs they take so little current compared to the 21W each front and rear bulbs the bulb failure system can't detect if they're working or not (or if they're LEDs).
    jdp1962 likes this.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Do get some pics up if you do fit the LED units Jeff.

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4_MaJiK View Post
    Do get some pics up if you do fit the LED units Jeff.
    Will do, bud.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add GeoffDunk on Facebook
    5W bulbs can be detected, Audi chose not to include the sides into the monitring system rather than them being un-detectable. Front side lights are 5W and they are monitored.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffDunk View Post
    5W bulbs can be detected, Audi chose not to include the sides into the monitring system rather than them being un-detectable. Front side lights are 5W and they are monitored.
    The point I was making is that the side repeaters are not on a separate circuit from the more powerful front/rear bulbs - which is why they can't be detected.

As you say, if they're on a separate circuit it's no problem detecting them.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    The point I was making is that the side repeaters are not on a separate circuit from the more powerful front/rear bulbs - which is why they can't be detected.

As you say, if they're on a separate circuit it's no problem detecting them.
    Sorry Dave, I see what you mean now.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I've just ordered these. I checked with Trups first, but he didn't have any like this. He may do in future though.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    I've just ordered these. I checked with Trups first, but he didn't have any like this. He may do in future though.
    May I ask the reason for changing the originals? I'd love to know the difference in performance too. From what I've seen in the past, I believe the LEDs come on off pretty much instantly and use less current, whereas traditional filament bulbs sort of fade in and out (which I kind of prefer).

I was actually recently looking for some LED sidelight units (error-free ofcourse) for my front sidelights but couldn't find any which were heat resistant (tend to be in a ceramic casing) due to them being so close to the 382 21W DRL bulbs. Which is why I normally just stick with the MTEC 501's which are white but not so bright.

~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    May I ask the reason for changing the originals?
    Mainly because almost every other filament bulb on the car (headlight clusters aside - they're a project for another day) has been changed to LED, firstly for cosmetic affect and secondly, to reduce the likelihood of bulb failure.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Mainly because almost every other filament bulb on the car (headlight clusters aside - they're a project for another day) has been changed to LED, firstly for cosmetic affect and secondly, to reduce the likelihood of bulb failure.
    Looks like somebody has caught the LED bug...

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Looks like somebody has caught the LED bug...
    I changed all my interior to LED for power saving reasons. After changing I accidently left the interior lights on, late evening fiddleing etc. and woke up the next morning and left for work and the car started just fine, I only realised I'd left the lights on 5 mins down the road.

Well worth the upgrade and the interior light colour, not that it has any bearing on the side repeaters.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffDunk View Post
    I changed all my interior to LED for power saving reasons. After changing I accidently left the interior lights on, late evening fiddleing etc. and woke up the next morning and left for work and the car started just fine, I only realised I'd left the lights on 5 mins down the road.

Well worth the upgrade and the interior light colour, not that it has any bearing on the side repeaters.
    Even Mrs Grumpy Old Man loves the interior LEDs!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I just want to set the record straight, Mr & Mrs Grumpy Old (persons) are far from, infact they're very polite, courteous & lovely people

PS. & far from old

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    I just want to set the record straight, Mr & Mrs Grumpy Old (persons) are far from, infact they're very polite, courteous & lovely people

PS. & far from old
    Why thank you!

(Still not paying you to install xenons, though )

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    The toast was good enough for me, no xenons obligated :P

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Well, I've fitteed the 501 LEDs into the side indicators, and they're throwing bulb errors on the DIS. That's a whole £2 wasted then!

Shame really, as I quite liked the way they removed the orange "shadow" from the lenses.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    hmmm my 2006 hasnt got any at all and no errors
    and the 2007 cab has got leds no errors i got them from hids4u

take them out see if you get errors with non fitted

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    hmmm my 2006 hasnt got any at all and no errors
    and the 2007 cab has got leds no errors i got them from hids4u

take them out see if you get errors with non fitted
    OK, will do, Bez.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Ok, tried it with LEDs and with no bulbs at all, still get an error on initial start-up, then it clears and goes back to normal.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I ordered these last week and got them yesterday in the post, just fitted them and they work a treat, no errors and it eliminates the orange shadow in the side repeaters. Highly recomended!

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I've swapped em back out for the moment, but have some error cancellors on order, so hopefully, they'll be back in and working ok by next weekend.

It's the little things that make the difference, isn't it?