EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Excessive tyre/suspension noise whilst driving

After i got new 18" alloys i put a set of 225/40/18 Vredetsin Ultrac Sessanta tyres & got the suspension lowered by ~40mm. Tyres seemed fairly quiet for the first few days but then i foolishly went on a pot-hole ridden rural road in the Highlands and after that i got increased road noise - a constant rumbling. Took my car to the local VAG indy, he said absolutely nothing wrong with tyres/alloys/suspension -wheel bearings were fine & tyres correctly balanced and aligned.. Took my car to ATS tyres, again they said nothing wrong with tyres or wheel alignment...however they seemed to think the excessive road noise could be down to the agressive grip on the tyres. But the Sessanta's are supposed to be one of the quietiest tyres (67db), my previous tyres Vred Wintrac Xtreme (69db rated) were a LOT quieter than the Sessantas. Any idea what the problem could be? The Sessanta's are amazing tyres both in the wet and dry but the noise is really annoying and i'm thinking perhaps i should take these off and get say Goodyear Assymetric 2 tyres but obviously if the noise isn't coming from the tyres then i would be wasting my money.
    Cheers
    2005 Audi A4 2.0 TDi SE
    -----------------------------------------
    oem bi-xenons with AFS & autolevelling
    oem balance shaft replacement
    oem rear parking sensors
    oem auto-dimming rear view mirror
    Shark STS Remap 170 bhp
    18" S5 style alloys
    H&R lowering springs
    TP-70 DIY Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by psychopomp1 View Post
    After i got new 18" alloys i put a set of 225/40/18 Vredetsin Ultrac Sessanta tyres & got the suspension lowered by ~40mm. Tyres seemed fairly quiet for the first few days but then i foolishly went on a pot-hole ridden rural road in the Highlands and after that i got increased road noise - a constant rumbling. Took my car to the local VAG indy, he said absolutely nothing wrong with tyres/alloys/suspension -wheel bearings were fine & tyres correctly balanced and aligned.. Took my car to ATS tyres, again they said nothing wrong with tyres or wheel alignment...however they seemed to think the excessive road noise could be down to the agressive grip on the tyres. But the Sessanta's are supposed to be one of the quietiest tyres (67db), my previous tyres Vred Wintrac Xtreme (69db rated) were a LOT quieter than the Sessantas. Any idea what the problem could be? The Sessanta's are amazing tyres both in the wet and dry but the noise is really annoying and i'm thinking perhaps i should take these off and get say Goodyear Assymetric 2 tyres but obviously if the noise isn't coming from the tyres then i would be wasting my money.
    Cheers
    If you are sure they were quieter before the incident, it may be wise to take a good look at the inside of the front wheels to see if there is any buckling from the inside. I am presuming you have not had this checked first before you go to the expense of changing your tyres completely. Too much of a coincidence otherwise imho. I bought my 19" wheels from a Mate and he hit a huge pothole in them.....they looked fine from the outside but they were badly damaged in the inside rims and required repair.

BR
    A